From the Cape to the North

Douw Kruger

Jun 30, 2021, 5:19:03 AM6/30/21
to overland-forum
We have just returned from a month long trip to the Krugerpark via the Moordenaarskaroo, Loxton, Bloemhof, Marakele National park and Graskop. The route back to the Cape followed the main roads - not to be repeated.
The Defender at 215 000 km on the clock did a very good job. I trailed a loaded Bundu Basher with tent on top. I found (again) that if I stay below 95kph, the fuel consumption is better than 8,5 kpl. In the Krugerpark it improved to 11 kpl.
My radios did not work very well. With two of them the sound only worked intermittendly.
The lockdown and Covid probably had an effect on me. I did not enjoy the first ten days that much. Felt stressed. Then relaxed and I am enjoying my memories of the trip now. In Kruger we spent four nights in each of three camps and two night in another. In Tsendze (rustic camp) the camp manageress comes to each camp site early evening for a 2 minute chat. With the assistance of one man she takes care of all the cleaning.
Now back at the salt mine.
Douw

Nico Roets

Jun 30, 2021, 5:29:00 AM6/30/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear that you had a safe and memorable trip.

Nico Roets.

et...@yebo.co.za

Jun 30, 2021, 7:27:10 AM6/30/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Roger is the manager at Tendse and has his own WhatsApp group.  He must have been on leave at the time you were there.  Quiet a character and is known for his many photos of owls that frequent the camp. It is my favourite KNP camp site.

Glad you enjoyed your break.

HenryT