INEOS Grenadier

Walter Ortell

Jul 6, 2021, 10:40:56 AM7/6/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Nico Roets

Jul 7, 2021, 7:45:30 AM7/7/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I think that this is going to be a very nice vehicle.

On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 at 16:40, Walter Ortell <chunky...@gmail.com> wrote:

Nico Roets.

roaming yak

Jul 7, 2021, 8:50:36 AM7/7/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
If you can figure out where to fit the second spare wheel thats needed for even vague exploring in Southern Africa ;-p

Nico Roets

Jul 7, 2021, 11:44:00 AM7/7/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I don’t know  but it’s not a priority for me. I have traveled quite a few 100k kms in Africa south of the equator and have never required a second spare.  But if it is really necessary I would put it on the roof rack. And I am sure that it won’t be long before dual rear bumper carriers will be available.
Nico Roets.

CATS

Jul 7, 2021, 1:01:55 PM7/7/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I agree. I think it will be an amazing vehicle and a true off road vehicle. I am just not sure if it will be priced at the right price. And having said that I also do not know what the right price point would be.

But just like the Tesla I have it in my bucketlist to at least drive, if not own at some stage.

JC Pietersen

Sent from my Green Robot device

Sean Steyn

Jul 7, 2021, 2:29:38 PM7/7/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Popped two tyres at a 4x4 day in Heidelberg. I borrowed Wavey’s spare to get home. I have not put a Goodyear on any car since.

et...@yebo.co.za

Jul 8, 2021, 5:36:01 AM7/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

It could possibly be more expensive than the new luxury Defender.

Henry Townsend

Nico Roets

Jul 8, 2021, 6:02:25 AM7/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I see talk that it would come in at under GBP40k, which puts it in about the same price range as the new Defender. Orders to open in October.

Nico Roets.

grahambowring2

Jul 8, 2021, 6:08:32 AM7/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Anyone know anything about the power train or chassis?

Graham Bowring

David Bell

Jul 8, 2021, 6:23:39 AM7/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Ladder frame chassis, engine from Germany, designed by German engineers, body parts from Spain, assembled in an old Mercedes factory in France.  According to their publicity trying to keep as much analogue as possible even starts with a key, price we will have to wait and see but believed to be about GB£40k much in line with the Obranca sorry new Defender made in Slovakia

Nico Roets

Jul 8, 2021, 8:41:23 AM7/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Engine 3 litre petrol or diesel from BMW with ZF gearboxes. Can't recall where the diffs are from but also a well known and reputable supplier.

Nico Roets.

Bruce Turner

Jul 10, 2021, 6:00:05 PM7/10/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I’m looking very forward to this also. I have heard pricing of £40k to £55k.

I like Nico have never carried a second spare so that is not important to me. I am interested to see how back up for things like services and spares is going to work. I think this should have been the new defender not the new disco currently.

Rgds
BruceT

Neale Penman

Jul 12, 2021, 2:57:15 AM7/12/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
So direct conversion to Rands is about the R 900k  mark.

Not sure what other duties/ taxes would be applicable but that range
starts to look very competitive when you consider that you cant spec a
new defender for less than 1.25m. Two acquaintances of mine have bought
new defenders at the 1.5 and 1.6 mark.

I really do hope the Grenadier is successful, if only to keep LR honest
around their own Defender strategy. The key is to crack big volumes in
the US and UK and then the rest of us countries with tiny markets can
tag along.  I suspect that Ineos is going to rue being two years too
late - sales of the new defender in the US are apparently strong.

Cheers

Neale

Bruce Turner

Jul 12, 2021, 5:58:07 AM7/12/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
It seems the initial strategy is to aim at right hand drive markets as the left hand drive is only coming later.
Ineos also did not appose LR’s application to trademark the defender shape in the US. They apposed and won the court case  in Europe though. It’s all very confusing.

I’m hoping they aim at U.K. (obviously), SA and Australia initially.

Rgds
BruceT

grahambowring2

Jul 12, 2021, 7:02:51 AM7/12/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
The vehicle looks great but it will be tough in Australia because of many entrenched brands, eg Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Mazda, VW, Chinese, Koreans, Jeep, LR etc.

Mining companies, government departments & electric/communication utilities seem wedded to Hilux or Ranger utes and 70 series Cruisers. Much the same for large cattle stations & farmers. Bosses buy similar or 200 series Cruisers.

Pretty tough to find a niche for an unknown brand...
  • Great Wall & Haval occupy the low ground. Have had some success with tradies & farmers in more settled areas. Farmers buy with a tray back rather than a tub & very rarely a wagon.
  • Jeep tried hard & saw some success by undercutting the Japanese on price, mostly selling to metro customers who liked the idea of driving off-road but rarely did. But have been licking their wounds for a few years after customers discovered their unreliability & tone deaf customer relations.
  • Koreans offer good reliability & reasonable price for soft roader wagons but are typically not destined for remote areas.
  •  Hilux / Ranger utes plus 70 Series Cruiser dominate the market for mines & utilities.
  • Tradies love twin cab utes for a mixture of business & personal use.
  • Amorok have done well with those who want more comfort but not for remote areas.
  • Range Rover & Disco have some following in metro markets but never in the bush. Defender has sold very few vehicles
Will be interesting to watch if INEOS come to Australia. Maybe a niche in the luxury market?

Graham Bowring

Jul 12, 2021, 12:55:50 PM7/12/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Looking at some of their videos it sounds like they’ll also have a strong focus on the NGO market, which is currently dominated by Toyota.  Since Ineos makes its money is in the Oil and Gas industry, probably also focus on mining and exploration.  Based on the info so far available I can see the Grenadier being a good option for these markets in Africa (in many ways the same characteristics that makes it appeal to us overlanders).

Price wise – with import taxes on vehicles in SA I expect the Grenadier will probably come in at around the same price as the G Wagon Professional used to (which used to be priced similar to the Disco 4 at the time).  If this is the case, the Land Cruiser 76 series will have a significant edge in the SA market due to pricing.  This is my expectation – would love to be proven wrong on the pricing as it looks like a really nice vehicle…

Regards

Paul

It seems the initial strategy is to aim at right hand drive markets as the left hand drive is only coming later.

Nico Roets

Jul 13, 2021, 1:47:40 AM7/13/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Paul I think you probably close to reality

Nico Roets.