Puma 2.4 engine

Douw Kruger

Jul 10, 2021, 10:47:17 AM7/10/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
My 11 year old Puma us still doing very well. 215km on the clock. A mechanic once said I should have the engine reconditioned at 300km. Another said, no wait until it tells you. The point is if it has done 270km and I am on my way to Kaokoland, is it not better to have the job done before the trip. Or am I to dainty?
The real question is the cost. Should I start playing the Lotto?

Douw

On Sat, 10 Jul 2021, 5:39 am <overlan...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hennie Rautenbach <hennie.r...@gmail.com>: Jul 09 12:53PM +0200

Okay so Zalk is MIA. Could anyone else figure out which GPS he was
referring to?

Regards

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 7:21 PM Hennie Rautenbach <

Uli von Kapff

Jul 10, 2021, 11:21:25 AM7/10/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

I was pretty much in the same situation, Douw. I suggest that you start saving and have it done once you are in the position to do a proper engine overhaul. The 2.4 is, in my opinion, not a good engine. Even with the best of care, you'll probably not reach a trouble-free 300 km.

Uli

12-year-old 2.4 Puma with 340 km

Bruce Turner

Jul 10, 2021, 12:41:04 PM7/10/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Why overhaul it if it is running fine and not giving any problems?
I met a guy last week near Mapungubwe with 370k kms on his puma. He has done clutch and EGR and that’s it.

Apparently a new motor is around R60k. How much is it to overhaul and will the person overhauling it do a good job?

Rgds
BruceT

Fanie du Plessis

Jul 10, 2021, 12:57:22 PM7/10/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I would also do a wear check through oil analysis etc before just doing an overhaul just for the sake of it.

Eben Henning

Jul 11, 2021, 1:58:53 AM7/11/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
If it's not knocking and makes compression, do a timing system, injector and turbo check-up.  Refresh the cooling system, rad, pump and hoses.
Also all other items infront of the radiator, clean and inspect.  If a viscous fan is used, test and replace if not 100% working.

EbenH

Hennie Rautenbach

Jul 11, 2021, 2:17:02 AM7/11/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Agree. I'd sell it and get something else...

Hennie Rautenbach

Jul 11, 2021, 2:17:48 AM7/11/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
R60K can't be right. That is almost what it cost me just to do a top end overhaul with new cyl head.

Uli von Kapff

Jul 11, 2021, 2:31:49 AM7/11/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Agree. One needs to add a 1 in front, and even that will not cover the total cost.

Bruce Turner

Jul 11, 2021, 7:24:21 AM7/11/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

If you asking LR for a price it’s not right but still believe it’s about R80k from LR. The 2.2 is cheaper than the 2.4 funny enough.

Neale Penman

Jul 12, 2021, 2:35:24 AM7/12/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
LR quietly replaced the 2.4 with the 2.2 because they realised they were
staring at some big warranty claims.

Fortunately for them most 2.4's last longer than their warranty.

A mate of mine with a 2.4 did the logical thing- kept his eye our for an
accident  wrecked 2.2 and then purchased the engine for about 30k and
dropped it in himself. Obviously some mechanical ability and spare time
required.

Navigating the legalities of changing engine number was apparently not
that bad.

My td5 is on 350k and in great condition. I'm looking forward to
rebuilding it myself eventually and will probably use a similar approach.

Cheers

Neale

Nakkiran Sunassee

Jul 12, 2021, 6:32:46 AM7/12/21
to overland-forum
That's not the reason they switched from the 2.4 to the 2.2 - it had everything to do with EU emissions laws.

Beware of rebuilding the 2.4/2.2, all the stories I've heard so far are of failures afterwards.

Bruce Turner

Jul 12, 2021, 7:17:52 AM7/12/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
100% Naks
You also can not replace a 2.4 with a 2.2 without changing the entire wiring harness and ecu’s

Bertus Bekker

Jul 12, 2021, 7:24:20 AM7/12/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Guess you might as well go for a 3.2 then.  :-)

Neale Penman

Jul 12, 2021, 8:11:56 AM7/12/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hmm. I stand corrected on the ease of swap out. I shall question him further :)

As for the EU emission laws I certainly remember that being the core of their comms strategy marketing the 2.2 at the time. Unfortunately with the benefit of hindsight I have become more cynical about the whole issue.

cheers

Neale

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/overland-forum/CAKx4ArH1JQqoNTL49riGCZw6FWhf2kW5SUKQDq3D-gYm9DPUyA%40mail.gmail.com.
--
Neale Penman | Confluence | Research driven strategy | 082 468 6766 | www.confluence.co.za

Nakkiran Sunassee

Jul 12, 2021, 12:54:58 PM7/12/21
to overland-forum
No man, the engine of choice is a BMW M57 3L straight six turbodiesel, mated with a ZF 6HP!

unless you like petrol stations, in which case an LS3 V8 conversion?