Recommended speed?

Douw Kruger

Jul 5, 2021, 1:59:57 AM7/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
On our recent trip to Kruger Park the effect of speed, whilst towing ànd not towing, was again demonstrated.
The Puma has 212k on the clock.  When not towing I get about 8 kpl driving 105 to 110 kph. Towing the seriously modified Bundu Basher on this trip I got 7.2 kpl to 9 kpl, depending on the speed and the terrain. In the Krugerpark the consumption improved to 11.5 kpl (not towing) and 10 kpl (towing).
On the return trip the consumption was better than on the inbound leg. But I was driving slower.
I am upgrading to Xcape. So the effect on my Landy is something to consider. This Landy must keep up the good work until I go to Huis Aandskemering. I think I must drop the speed to 90 kph, which is roughly what I had done on the return leg from Kruger.
The question is, what is the long term effect on a towing vehicle if towing a 1000kg caravan regularly at moderate speed?

Douw

On Mon, 05 Jul 2021, 5:39 am <overlan...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Joao Felizardo <jmjfel...@gmail.com>: Jul 04 11:05AM +0200

For those interested , here is a very important piece of information
captured via an interview with Dr Robert Malone , the developer of the mRNA
technology himself.
Rgds .
https://www.thelastamericanvagabond.com/dr-robert-malone-interview-inventor-of-mrna-technology-censored-for-speaking-out-on-vaccine-risks/

On Sat, 3 Jul 2021 at 16:55, swissnomads2013 via overland-forum <
"Mike" <mi...@4x4store.co.za>: Jul 04 01:02PM +0200

“All this witch doctors’ stuff is not really helping against this Virus.”” You are 100% right. “

Agree!

Mike

For those interested , here is a very important piece of information captured via an interview with Dr Robert Malone , the developer of the mRNA technology himself.

Rgds .

https://www.thelastamericanvagabond.com/dr-robert-malone-interview-inventor-of-mrna-technology-censored-for-speaking-out-on-vaccine-risks/

On Sat, 3 Jul 2021 at 16:55, swissnomads2013 via overland-forum <overlan...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

You are 100% right.

My neighbours, 2 adults 3 kids, got infected by covid-19, luckily with mild symptoms. But the parents told me it was 100 times worse than a heavy flu.

We are happy to get the two japs. It’s not only to protect us, but also for people who are not able to get the vaccine for health reasons.

All this witch doctors’ stuff is not really helping against this Virus.

Greetings

Emanuel Berger

Kirchmattstrasse 2

3422 Kirchberg

Switzerland

Mobile: +41 79 352 24 31

Home: +41 34 445 21 51

Jul 5, 2021, 2:18:46 AM7/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
On a Def, effect is probably close to  nothing.

Airbags in rear springs might prevent sagging. Higher pressure in rear wheels also good.

Your 1:1 gear (probably 5th on Puma) should be best for gearbox.

Francois Visagie

Jul 7, 2021, 1:08:30 PM7/7/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hi Douw,

In my experience the harder you make an engine work (especially a diesel) the less working life you get out of it.

E.g. a 300Tdi occasionally driven at 120 kph for long stretches even with sympathetic driving and otherwise looked after really well needed urgent overhauling/replacement at around 250k. Wear on the rings, cylinder walls etc. had made compression go down badly.

Some people reckon that the design life of diesels of that era is typically 250k – 300k anyway, but I believe that demanding less of the engine should significantly prolong its life. The top speed I drive at now is 100 kph ;-).

I wouldn’t know what a sympathetic speed for the Puma would be, but I find that there comes a point with a significant jump in engine and exhaust temperature and that is where you should maybe slack off a bit.

François Visagie

Mobile  +44 (7624) 321682

Email      francois...@gmail.com

image001.png
image002.png

Hennie Rautenbach

Jul 8, 2021, 3:24:31 AM7/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
It's not the speed that is the issue i.t.o engine longevity. It's the RPM. I never take a TD engine over 3000 RPM.

grahambowring2

Jul 8, 2021, 4:51:11 AM7/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I know nothing about LR longevity and am not an engineer but was indoctrinated during a lifetime with Caterpillar that diesel engine life is proportional to litres of fuel consumed.

This went as far as overhaul recommendations for larger equipment was delineated in litres of fuel without any reference to engine hours. So an engine more lightly loaded might live 25,000 hrs to overhaul vs 15 - 20,000 hours for an engine more heavily loaded.

And if my memory serves me correctly wind resistance increases according to the square of speed increase. Not relevant on a mining truck but sure is on a 4WD with the aerodynamics of a brick @ 90kph or more!

Bottom line both engine speed & vehicle speed are likely to determine engine life as both will impact fuel consumption.

Graham Bowring

Hennie Rautenbach

Jul 8, 2021, 4:55:36 AM7/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Fair point. So in simplified terms, two Landies (300Tdi as example) that have the same kilos, same maintenance and same adherence to careful driving may require engine rebuilds at different times if the one was towing a Jurgens Explorer all its life... Make sense.

Eben Henning

Jul 8, 2021, 4:58:02 AM7/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
One step further .....
EGT is directly related to fuel burned, in relation to your specific vehicle configuration.
EGT is also an indication of the thermal stresses on the engine.
So if you want to keep an eye on your vehicle longevity, simply keep to the same rule as off road speed, as low as possible, as high as necessary.

EbenH.

Eben Henning

Jul 8, 2021, 4:59:28 AM7/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Applicable to EGT that is :-)

Fanie du Plessis

Jul 8, 2021, 11:39:08 AM7/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
And if I remember well, engine wear is also related to the square of engine speed