Ostinato Port to Linux Interface Mapping

Chris Preimesberger

Oct 7, 2022, 11:22:43 AM10/7/22
to osti...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Before asking my question I just want to give many thanks for creating Ostinato.  I really appreciate it.  Thank you.

Background info:
I'm using Ostinato in a PC with a 4 port NIC and a 2 port NIC, so there are 6 Ostinato ports, but there are other NICs in the PC as well (onboard LAN and WiFi) which are not used by Ostinato.
When running ifconfig in linux, the NICs ports I'm using with Ostinato are listed in sequential order by PCIe slot, which seems pretty logical.  Example:

enp1s0f0
enp1s0f1
enp1s0f2
enp1s0f3
enp2s0f0np0
enp2s0f0np1

When running Ostinato, the port mappings between the linux interface and Ostinato's port number are jumbled.  Example:

enp1s0f0 - Ostinato Port 0
enp1s0f1 - Ostinato Port 2
enp1s0f2 - Ostinato Port 5
enp1s0f3 - Ostinato Port 6
enp2s0f0np0 - Ostinato Port 1
enp2s0f0np1 - Ostinato Port 3

Question:
Is there a way to change or manually edit the port mappings, so the Ostinato ports are listed in the order I want?  Example:

enp1s0f0 - Ostinato Port 1
enp1s0f1 - Ostinato Port 2
enp1s0f2 - Ostinato Port 3
enp1s0f3 - Ostinato Port 4
enp2s0f0np0 - Ostinato Port 5
enp2s0f0np1 - Ostinato Port 6

Thank you!!

--
Best regards,
~Chris

Chris Preimesberger

Oct 7, 2022, 3:52:28 PM10/7/22
to osti...@googlegroups.com
I'm following up to share a workaround that I found.  Maybe this can help someone else in the future.

I just remove all ports, then select my test ports, by order of their interface name rather than by Ostinato's port number.  That way the port columns get arranged from left to right by interface name, which is much easier for me to keep track of than remembering port mappings 0->1, 2->2, 5->3, 6->4, 1->5, 3->6.

Screenshot Example:
image.png

--
Best regards,
~Chris

Srivats P

Oct 11, 2022, 7:06:55 AM10/11/22
to Chris Preimesberger, osti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I'm glad that Ostinato is useful to you! I'd love to know more about your use case.

The "workaround" that you mention for ordering/filtering in the Port Statistics is the "official feature" for the same! :-)

However, it works only for the Port Statistics window, not for the Port List in the upper left. Would you like the order in the Port list as well?

I recently implemented "user-editable" port descriptions. See this twitter thread for screengrabs and details - https://twitter.com/pstavirs/status/1568183077662490624

 Would this serve your purpose?

Srivats (Founder, Ostinato)
Generate 🚀 wire speed 10/25/40G traffic with the new Ostinato Turbo add-on!

--
Get Ostinato News and Updates on Twitter - Follow @ostinato (http://twitter.com/ostinato)

Srivats P

Oct 19, 2022, 8:15:49 AM10/19/22
to Chris Preimesberger, osti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

Would the new "user-editable" port description work for your use case?

Srivats (Founder, Ostinato)
Generate 🚀 wire speed 10/25/40G traffic with the new Ostinato Turbo add-on!

Chris Preimesberger

Oct 19, 2022, 2:31:19 PM10/19/22
to Srivats P, osti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Srivats,

I think so. I remember watching the video and being pleased with it.  Apologies for my delay in responding; I am out of my country without access to Ostinato PC until next month, so I don’t have a live system to look at and reference.  I look forward to continuing correspondence with you after I return to the office.
--
Best regards,
Chris Preimesberger

Srivats P