brand new user.. how to use with no GUI

James Collum

Oct 14, 2022, 10:25:33 PM10/14/22
to ostinato
I'm developing an automation suite (python based), where the test cases will be executed in a batch mode (no terminal, so no GUI possible). All the examples i've seen have the python script connecting to the GUI drone. Are there examples where both sides are in python?

(sorry if this is a novice question.. We just bought the suite, and am exited by what i've done so far (with the GUI)

thanks

JIm

This email and any relevant attachments may include confidential and/or proprietary information.  Any distribution or use by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) or other than for the intended purpose(s) is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.

James Collum

Oct 15, 2022, 11:49:07 PM10/15/22
to ostinato
ok.. figured out the architecture :)  . now trying to get by connection refused. droneProxy now works after setting /usr/bin/drone with the appropriate root access (on controller and drone systems). drone.connect() is failing now with connection refused (droneProxy was failing with that prior to me setting root access)

Srivats P

Oct 17, 2022, 12:11:14 PM10/17/22
to James Collum, ostinato
James,

Please make sure you are running the drone agent on the remote system before starting your python script.

Let me know if that solves the connection refused issue.

Srivats (Founder, Ostinato)
Generate 🚀 wire speed 10/25/40G traffic with the new Ostinato Turbo add-on!

--
Get Ostinato News and Updates on Twitter - Follow @ostinato (http://twitter.com/ostinato)

James Collum

Oct 27, 2022, 11:46:11 PM10/27/22
to Srivats P, ostinato
all your advice has helped get this up and running.. basic scripts to loop though different packet sizes and steam them through our switch (looking for lost packets)

What’s really interesting going forward is the pcap capabilities. (feel free to google Joby Aviation to get a context on what we’re doing)

for every flight, we capture the events in a pcap file. ( the aircraft uses ethernet for protocol communication. All aspects of the flight are captured as any of hundred of protocol packet types.  We can end up with an hour’s worth of pcap (very large files). One test subset will be taking a pcap file and replaying it through our flight sim, making various modifications to packets as they go through my test harness (change crc, flip random bits, change protocol specific fields, and then send the packets out of the harness to the flight sim. I’m just starting to play around with the pcap capabilities .. Is it possible to do a

read packet pcap —> pc, running python which modifies various aspects of the packet —> output through another ethernet port

or does ostinato buffer the entire pcap file, then replay it?

if it is easier to talk via zoom about this, feel free to set up a meeting time, and i’ll work around it. We are in the Bay area in California, so PST)

thanks again

JIm

p.s.. a lot of interest from various teams with your product.. Do you have site licenses or volume license capability?

Srivats P

Oct 28, 2022, 10:13:43 AM10/28/22
to James Collum
Hi James,

all your advice has helped get this up and running.. basic scripts to loop though different packet sizes and steam them through our switch (looking for lost packets)

Good to hear you have basic stuff running!

What’s really interesting going forward is the pcap capabilities. (feel free to google Joby Aviation to get a context on what we’re doing)

for every flight, we capture the events in a pcap file. ( the aircraft uses ethernet for protocol communication. All aspects of the flight are captured as any of hundred of protocol packet types.  We can end up with an hour’s worth of pcap (very large files). One test subset will be taking a pcap file and replaying it through our flight sim, making various modifications to packets as they go through my test harness (change crc, flip random bits, change protocol specific fields, and then send the packets out of the harness to the flight sim. I’m just starting to play around with the pcap capabilities ..

That's very interesting to know!

Is it possible to do a
read packet pcap —> pc, running python which modifies various aspects of the packet —> output through another ethernet port

So the first PC here just replays the original pcap file, the second machine reads the original packets coming on an ethernet port, modifies the packets on the fly and sends out the packet to another port?

Do you need the modified packets to be sent with the same timing as the original pcap file? For that to happen the second PC needs to somehow not add any delay or add a consistent delay to all the packets - this is not easy to do. Or is replaying the exact same timing not a requirement?

What protocol fields would you need to change?

or does ostinato buffer the entire pcap file, then replay it?

Ostinato prebuilds all the packets before transmit, so that it can devote all CPU resources to transmit with the same timing as the original PCAP

if it is easier to talk via zoom about this, feel free to set up a meeting time, and i’ll work around it. We are in the Bay area in California, so PST)

I'll set up a call with you for next week and we can discuss more.

Srivats (Founder, Ostinato)