Arp Resolution of a Remote Host

shahriar basiri

Nov 15, 2021, 6:41:14 AM11/15/21
to ostinato
Dear Community,
I am using ostinato docker as a traffic generator node in my GNS3 topology. When I want to send a traffic to a remote host, I should set the remote MAC address manually in traffic profile and when I change it to "Resolve" it doesn't resolve the gateway MAC address. Does Ostinato have any procedures to automatically resolve mac address of a remote host in ?

Thanks,
Shahriar.

Srivats P

Nov 15, 2021, 11:30:24 AM11/15/21
to shahriar basiri, ostinato
Yes, Ostinato can resolve DMAC. Make sure your stream has correct Source and Dest IP set. Check the Devices | Information list to see if the ARP is resolved or not.

If that doesn't help you figure out the problem, let me know -

* What is your Ostinato version?
* What is your topology and the IP addresses of each node/interface
* What is the src/dst IP in the  stream?
* What is the list of device groups in the Device Group/Configuration tab
* What is the list of devices in the Device Group/Information tab

Srivats (Founder, Ostinato)
Need to generate wire speed 10/25/40G traffic? - Try the new Ostinato Turbo add-on!

--
Get Ostinato News and Updates on Twitter - Follow @ostinato (http://twitter.com/ostinato)

shahriar basiri

Nov 16, 2021, 3:12:55 AM11/16/21
to ostinato

Dear Srivats,

Thanks for your help, I use Ostinato v1.0. In device configurtion a node with stream’s source IP is configured. Other information is included in attached screenshots. When I connect 2 GNS3 VPCSs together, wireshark captures both arp req and reply (when using ping). But when I connect Ostinato to a VPCS (or other nodes) an arp request is sent when pressing “ARP/ND” button but no arp reply is captured. It also show the error “Port 0: Source mac resolve failed for one or more streams – Device matching stream’s source IP not found”.

Best Regards.

Srivats P در تاریخ دوشنبه ۱۵ نوامبر ۲۰۲۱ ساعت ۲۰:۰۰:۲۴ (UTC+3:30) نوشت:
Ostinato.png
GNS3.png

Srivats P

Nov 16, 2021, 7:32:27 AM11/16/21
to shahriar basiri, ostinato
Shahriar,

You have configured the device group IP as "198.168.120.1" instead of "192.168.120.1"

Srivats (Founder, Ostinato)
Need to generate wire speed 10/25/40G traffic? - Try the new Ostinato Turbo add-on!

shahriar basiri

Nov 16, 2021, 10:34:44 AM11/16/21
to ostinato
Dear Srivats,
I can't believe I made such a mistake:), Thanks for being so kind and patient

Srivats P در تاریخ سه‌شنبه ۱۶ نوامبر ۲۰۲۱ ساعت ۱۶:۰۲:۲۷ (UTC+3:30) نوشت:

Srivats P

Nov 16, 2021, 10:50:55 AM11/16/21
to shahriar basiri, ostinato
No worries, Shariar!