direction?

vzteklik

Feb 8, 2020, 6:20:52 AM2/8/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm sure I'm overlooking something somewhere, but how can I make Osmand to show the direction to the destination point as a straight line regardless of the roads, tracks or anything? Is it possible? I still can't figure it out...

Thanks,

V.

Max1234Ita

Feb 8, 2020, 10:09:23 AM2/8/20
to OsmAnd
Hi, you can try this:

  1. Open the Settings Menu

  2. Select Configure Screen

  3. Select the profile you like by tapping the relative icon (Car, Bycicle, Pedestrian, etc)

  4. Turn on the Relative Bearing switch.

This should add to the display a red (if I remember well) arrow that always points to the destination marker, regardless of natural obstacles and the road you're on.

Cheers,
Max.

Roberto Petitpas

Feb 8, 2020, 11:09:21 AM2/8/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Use the airplane profile.

vzteklik

Feb 10, 2020, 7:20:35 AM2/10/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com

Great! Thank you, that seems to do the trick ;-)

How does the airplane mode does it? In ideal world I would like to use this navigation method on request in pedestrian mode (where my map is already configured to the desired look).

Thanks.

Feb 11, 2020, 2:45:16 PM2/11/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Understood.

But is there a way to choose while setting up a navigation between 'use the roads/map' and 'just show the direction' while not changing the profile? Similar like you are choosing to avoid certain roads, fastest or economic etc...?

I have been using it in the Sahara desert navigating to a certain coordinates and was not interested in sticking to any roads, only in direction - my old Garmin can do it with two button clicks. Similarly I quite like to just know that in this direction is my destination and find a way to get there myself - on- or off-road does not matter - walk or drive. Just for the fun of it. So I'm trying to find a way to do so. Changing profiles is of course possible (now that I know of it), but I would need to have two profiles per type of transport one set to direction and one for the road and twice set up the map look :-(

V.

Feb 14, 2020, 3:27:38 PM2/14/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I tried it and can't figure it out :-(

I can create new profile and yes the navigation is a straight line, which is perfect. However I can't find how to change the type of navigation (straight line vs. anything else) without changing the profile setting?

Example: I have a certain renderer and other maps settings set which suits me. Now I want to get from my location to a point on the map. I choose the profile to be used with these settings and before pressing GO I would like to be able to choose whether I want to stick to roads or fly over using the straight line, similarly I often want to change 'use roads' to 'straight line' mode while re-calculating the route. Simply to have the drop down menu which is available on profile setting page on navigation setup page. That I guess is not possible, correct?

Nevertheless, the airplane mode is what I was looking for, so thank you for enlightening me.

V.

Mar 10, 2020, 12:37:17 PM3/10/20
to OsmAnd
BTW: I've just discovered a little feature that could be useful in some cases:

  1. Save your destination as a Favorite

  2. Open the "My Places" menu

  3. Select a favorite (i. e. the one you just saved ;) )

  4. In the lower part of the display, just below the map, you'll see a (very) small blue triangle reporting the straight distance from current position

  5. Rotate the device left/right and you'll see the arrow rotating as well, showing the relative direction.:

Observed this on my Samsung Galaxy A50. Not sure it works also for devices that do not have a built-in compass.

Regards,
Max