Could not read GPX data

John Rowe

Jul 27, 2020, 11:26:08 AM7/27/20
to OsmAnd
I've just bought a ulefone rugged Android phone to use for navigation when cycling and I purchased OSMAnd+.  Unfortunately I can't get my gpx files to load. Whatever I try gives me the message  "Could not read GPX data" even though the files are visible to select within the app.  I have tried files I know load ok on my Mac.  I have tried transferring the files in different ways - saving direct to phone, sending via email to phone.  I've tried files from other people that don't use Mac and always the same result.  Can anyone help?

Majka

Jul 27, 2020, 12:01:28 PM7/27/20
to OsmAnd
Could you post an example of one file? GPX is a very broad format, there might be something Osmand doesn't understand.

John Rowe

Jul 27, 2020, 12:06:30 PM7/27/20
to OsmAnd
Here you go, thanks
John
MTB-ShawMills.gpx

Majka

Jul 27, 2020, 12:26:35 PM7/27/20
to OsmAnd

On Monday, 27 July 2020 18:06:30 UTC+2, John Rowe wrote:
Here you go, thanks
John

No problem in my case. How did you try to open it?

You can:
  • Find the file with file explorer, without opening Osmand.  When you try to open the file, Osmand should come as one of the possible targets. This is what I have done.
  • Put the file in the Osmand/tracks/ subfolder, or a subfolder of the same (Osmand/tracks/whatever/), and you can find it under my places / tracks. Select the file and from the menu next to it "Display on the map"
Majka

John Rowe

Jul 27, 2020, 12:34:15 PM7/27/20
to OsmAnd
I tried opening it within the app.  When I try from file manager it says 'None of your apps can open this file'.  I tried reinstalling OSMAnd+ and no different.  The app seems to work ok in other respects - I can download and view maps, get directions, etc.  I'm a newbie to Android - is there something else i need to do to set up the app?
Thanks

Majka

Jul 28, 2020, 10:24:27 AM7/28/20
to OsmAnd
I think I know the solution for you.
In OsmAnd, open menu, and switch on Modules >"Trip recording" on. This one should register the gpx file type for the OsmAnd app. Close OsmAnd (swipe off to completely close) and try to open the gpx file again.

Majka

John Rowe

Jul 28, 2020, 10:43:58 AM7/28/20
to OsmAnd
Thanks Majka.  The menu was slightly different on my version but I turned on trip recording and restarted.  It didn't make any difference I'm afraid.  I've reported it to ulefone support as well in case it's an issue with the phone itself.