OsmAnd wish list

Gregor Boos

Feb 13, 2020, 3:11:13 PM2/13/20
to OsmAnd

Osmand is great, no question, but I still have some wishes for optimization / individualization.

1. Unintentional termination of the app
It often happens that the back button is pressed too much once.

Then OSMand is just closed and I have to restart it.
A security question would be great if the app should really be closed. (or press back twice)

2. Select a track on the map

Individual single poi can be selectes via touching it on the map. Why is this not possible with the displayed tracks? Would be practical to get the detailed information or to make it directly invisible.

3. Favorites POI with names on the map

My favorites are shown on the map as point symbols without names. To get the name I have to click on them. It would be great if i have the option to set the favorites with names appear on the map.

4. Other GPX-Track colors

I really still miss some track colors. Just to have a good contrast when cycling or hiking trails are shown in color on the map. (additional Gray or black would be great)

If have found some additional GPX colors which are defined in the default.render.xml, but they cannot be selected.

Am I wrong?

Here you can see the definition:

<renderingAttribute name="gpx">

<switch>

<case currentTrackColor="red" color="#ff0000"/>

<case currentTrackColor="orange" color="#ff7200"/>

<case currentTrackColor="lightblue" color="#2ec6ff"/>

<case currentTrackColor="blue" color="#4e4eff"/>

<case currentTrackColor="purple" color="#a71de1"/>

<case currentTrackColor="pink" color="#f52887"/>

<case currentTrackColor="white" color="#ffffff"/>

<case currentTrackColor="black" color="#000000"/>

<case currentTrackColor="gray" color="#999999"/>

<case currentTrackColor="yellow" color="#FBFF00"/>

<case currentTrackColor="green" color="#1CC605"/>

<case currentTrackColor="translucent_red" color="#aaff0000"/>

<case currentTrackColor="translucent_orange" color="#aaff7200"/>

<case currentTrackColor="translucent_lightblue" color="#aa00ffff"/>

<case currentTrackColor="translucent_blue" color="#aa4e4eff"/>

<case currentTrackColor="translucent_purple" color="#aaa71de1"/>

<case currentTrackColor="translucent_pink" color="#aaf52887"/>

<case currentTrackColor="translucent_white" color="#aaffffff"/>

<case currentTrackColor="dark_red" color="#AF0000"/>

<case currentTrackColor="dark_green" color="#127E03"/>

<case currentTrackColor="dark_yellow" color="#B0B300"/>

<case currentTrackColor="dark_blue" color="#2D2D93"/>

<case currentTrackColor="dark_pink" color="#A41B5B"/>

<case currentTrackColor="dark_cyan" color="#1D7CA0"/>

<case currentTrackColor="dark_gray" color="#595959"/>

<case color="#ff0000">

Roberto Petitpas

Feb 13, 2020, 3:30:12 PM2/13/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I would add one big whish:

When navigating by following a GPX track (generated beforehand), and if that track crosses a town or whatever,  if I depart from the track, lets say to see the beach nearby, OsmAnd draws a straight line from my position to rejoin the original track.
But that line do not use the streets, so I have no way to rejoin my track, specially in an unknown place.

So, I have to stop (which is the only way in a motorcycle), cancel navigation, start a new navigation by hand until I reach my former route, and when getting there, stop again and restart a navigation with my GPX track.

This is too bad. For me and my fellow bikers.

So, why cant OsmAnd redirect me to my track automatically, offering a short route to rejoin my former GXP track?

Thanks
Roberto

Paul Johnson

Feb 13, 2020, 3:34:09 PM2/13/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
One I would add to the list: Pay attention to per-lane speed limits, lane change restrictions and access tagging.  Lacking this makes Osmand's lane recommendations hard to really tell if it's valid, particularly if you're in a carpool, in LA, Seattle and Dallas, and equally frustrating in places where bicycle lanes are common.

Never mind that bicycle lanes tend to be tagged incorrectly in the first place (should be like any other restricted lane, like access=no, bicycle=designated, and included in the lane count).

Xavier

Feb 13, 2020, 3:58:08 PM2/13/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Re: Roberto's comment:

Consider the possibility that, maybe, none of the OSMAnd developers are
motorcycle riders. Then they would not likely recognize the issue you
encounter.

Re: Gregor's:

The "are your sure" prompt should be able to be turned off, as I,
myself, do not want an "are you sure" prompt when I exit the app, even
if accidentaly.

However, for both of your comments, if you want to have the suggestions
seen by the OSMAnd developers, you need to file them as issues on the
github issue tracker here:

https://github.com/osmandapp/Osmand/issues

This group is merely users helping users, we are not the developers,
and while we may agree, or disagree, with your suggestions, we are
powerless to actually build any of them into the app. Submitting them
to the github issues tracker above is how to get them seen by the
developers.
>> *<renderingAttribute name="gpx">*
>>
>> * <switch>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="red" color="#ff0000"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="orange" color="#ff7200"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="lightblue" color="#2ec6ff"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="blue" color="#4e4eff"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="purple" color="#a71de1"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="pink" color="#f52887"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="white" color="#ffffff"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="black" color="#000000"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="gray" color="#999999"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="yellow" color="#FBFF00"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="green" color="#1CC605"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="translucent_red" color="#aaff0000"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="translucent_orange" color="#aaff7200"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="translucent_lightblue" color="#aa00ffff"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="translucent_blue" color="#aa4e4eff"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="translucent_purple" color="#aaa71de1"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="translucent_pink" color="#aaf52887"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="translucent_white" color="#aaffffff"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="dark_red" color="#AF0000"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="dark_green" color="#127E03"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="dark_yellow" color="#B0B300"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="dark_blue" color="#2D2D93"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="dark_pink" color="#A41B5B"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="dark_cyan" color="#1D7CA0"/>*
>>
>> * <case currentTrackColor="dark_gray" color="#595959"/>*
>>
>> * <case color="#ff0000">*
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osmand/421265d7-7ccd-40ea-96fa-9af3aee4d6ae%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osmand/421265d7-7ccd-40ea-96fa-9af3aee4d6ae%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>

>--
Message has been deleted

Bart Eisenberg

Feb 13, 2020, 5:04:04 PM2/13/20
to OsmAnd
@Roberto Petitpas Once your following a route, under Options, try toggling "Calculate OsmAnd route
for first and last route segment.

Bart Eisenberg

Feb 13, 2020, 5:07:29 PM2/13/20
to OsmAnd
(sorry, I'm having trouble with formatting) The results of enabling that option won't be perfect, but they may be closer to what you're looking for.

Nick Johnston

Feb 14, 2020, 5:58:54 AM2/14/20
to OsmAnd
On Thursday, 13 February 2020 20:11:13 UTC, Gregor Boos wrote:

3. Favorites POI with names on the map

My favorites are shown on the map as point symbols without names. To get the name I have to click on them. It would be great if i have the option to set the favorites with names appear on the map.

This is already supported:

1. Open the main menu.
2. Select "Configure map".
3. Enable "POI overlay labels".

Nick

Roberto Petitpas

Feb 14, 2020, 9:46:17 PM2/14/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I will try, thanks a lot

El jue., 13 de febrero de 2020 19:04, Bart Eisenberg <bartei...@gmail.com> escribió:
@Roberto Petitpas Once your following a route, under Options, try toggling "Calculate OsmAnd route
for first and last route segment.

Roberto Petitpas

Feb 15, 2020, 6:18:37 PM2/15/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Merci Xavier.
I think everybody can have that issue. It is more sensitive to motorcyclers than a car driver. In a car it is easier to stop and do what I said, or be done by the copilot.

In a motorcycle: stop, take gloves out, maybe leave helmet on, take phone out of case, disconnect from charger, do all, back phone to case, connect to charger, back gloves, go. Repeat once you get on track.

I did test today the suggestion of setting the Option "Calcular la ruta OsmAnd para el primer y último segmento de ruta" (Calculate OsmAnd route for the firts and last segment of route) and it worked fine,  while at the track beginning. Will test at the middle of a track at next  oportunity.

Only then I might bother the Development Team if it does not work.

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.
Roberto
🇨🇱

Roberto Petitpas

Feb 15, 2020, 6:20:39 PM2/15/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bart, did it at a track beginning and it worked. Pending: a test at the middle of a track.

Best regards,
Roberto
🇨🇱

El jue., 13 de febrero de 2020 19:01, Bart Eisenberg <bartei...@gmail.com> escribió:
@Roberto Petitpas Once your following a route, under Options, try toggling "Calculate OsmAnd route for first and last route segment. The results won't be perfect, but perhaps closer to what you're looking for.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osmand/421265d7-7ccd-40ea-96fa-9af3aee4d6ae%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osmand/421265d7-7ccd-40ea-96fa-9af3aee4d6ae%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

Bart Eisenberg

Feb 15, 2020, 8:30:52 PM2/15/20
to OsmAnd
I'll be interested in what you find out.  In my testing, re-routing was sometimes fine, sometimes slow.  And of course sometimes, the best way back to a GPX is a U-turn.
Message has been deleted

A Thompson

Feb 16, 2020, 9:49:31 PM2/16/20
to OsmAnd

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 8:11:13 PM UTC, Gregor Boos wrote

4. Other GPX-Track colors

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but if you go to "My Places>Tracks" and tap on the NAME of a track (NOT on the three dot menu to its right) then you get a screen where you can select from a wide range of colours.