How to map subway entrances?

john whelan

Nov 25, 2020, 9:28:45 AM11/25/20
to Osmand
In Ottawa Canada at Lyon station I wanted to find a route to walk to 60 Cambridge Street.

The station has at least two exits one of which is closer to my destination.

How do I tell OSMAND where to start?  Lyon station doesn't work well as the station is underground and I don't want to know a route that takes me on a convoluted journey underground and ignores elevators.  I just want instructions from a particular street level exit.

Thanks John

CP

Nov 25, 2020, 10:22:55 AM11/25/20
to osmand
Are these entries/exits mapped in OSM?

-CP

John Whelan

Nov 25, 2020, 11:06:47 AM11/25/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com, CP
I have some experience in mapping OSM and the Ottawa subway stations seemed to be mapped in a great deal of detail.  I suspect the problem in the labels on the nodes and what OSMAND is expecting especially on a search.

Cheerio John

Poutnik Fornntp

Nov 25, 2020, 11:24:01 AM11/25/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com, john whelan
Nothing beats the visual analyzator of graphical data representation.

Even if there were all needed data, user would not know, what exactly to search for in the direct navigation to found given location.

Personally, as my general navigation approach , I use location search just to show me the area, and then I choose the point manually, considered the visual data.

It was once said navigation software is much better than if you got lost, but cannot compete with local experts who know local specifics and details, that either are not in data, or is hard to find/use them.

Dne 25. listopadu 2020 15:28:44 john whelan <jwhel...@gmail.com> napsal:

John Whelan

Nov 25, 2020, 12:22:26 PM11/25/20
to Poutnik Fornntp, osm...@googlegroups.com
So you are saying that search for in OSMAND followed by directions is a waste of time and you should just click two points on the map?  Even though the address information is already there?

I accept your point of view as an option but was hoping for something more useful.  How is this done elsewhere?  In Europe perhaps I seem to recall subways with multiple exits last time I was there.

I think using nodes that are there already and connected to the sidewalk would make more sense.  I could of course fire up JOSM on a laptop and do a visual look at the raw data.

Thanks John
--
Sent from Postbox

Poutnik Fornntp

Nov 25, 2020, 2:01:46 PM11/25/20
to John Whelan, osm...@googlegroups.com

No, I have not said anything like that, that was wrong assumption of yours.

I have just said by other words, that searching/setting a particular location, as well as routing based on OSM data is good enough, but outperformed by real knowledge of the place or the roads.

That is far from being limited to OsmAnd,
I was talking generally.

One thing is if there is current mapping and other thing is to know what to set as the navigation point, without looking at the map nor having knowledge of the place.

john whelan

Nov 25, 2020, 2:55:15 PM11/25/20
to Poutnik Fornntp, Osmand
And that is the issue finding or adding a tag that I can search for in OSMAND.

Cheerio John

Poutnik Fornntp

Nov 25, 2020, 3:32:52 PM11/25/20
to john whelan, Osmand
It is an issue to know in advance,
what a user will search for
 if he has no idea what to search for.

John Whelan

Nov 25, 2020, 7:02:27 PM11/25/20
to Poutnik Fornntp, Osmand
There is a railway=subway_entrance on the correct node that has an optional tag of name which hasn't been filled in.

I think once that is done the problem is solved.

Thanks John
--
Sent from Postbox

Tom Crocker

Nov 25, 2020, 7:13:37 PM11/25/20
to OsmAnd
I'm not sure if this is what you want, but if I type Lyon I get a range of results including Lyon, Underground entrance, as well as the platforms. If I start typing 'entrance', Underground entrance is an option and then I get the option to show underground entrances on the map (or choose by name). Is that what you want?

John Whelan

Nov 25, 2020, 7:20:58 PM11/25/20
to Tom Crocker, osm...@googlegroups.com
I obviously need a bigger screen.  They are present when I scroll down.

I think adding the optional name would make it clearer.  My suspicion is there are three Lyon subway entrances and at the moment I can only spot two in OSMAND.

Next time I travel that way I'll take a closer look and update the map with the name field if someone hasn't done it already however with COVID19 at the moment I'm trying to keep journeys to a minimum.

Thanks John