All my maps are gone!

Tom Norton

Aug 27, 2019, 3:24:36 PM8/27/19
to Osmand
Today while traveling I went to use Osmand on my phone and all my maps were gone! Just a screen about signing up.
What happened?!
We just cycled for 3 months in Europe and had no problem.

J Albrecht

Aug 27, 2019, 3:44:23 PM8/27/19
to osm...@googlegroups.com

Same thing happened to me last week! Something “ate” my external micro SD card and rendered it totally useless on my phone. It's completely inaccessible. However, when put into a card reader, I can access the contents on my Macbook without a problem.

signature.asc

Majka

Aug 28, 2019, 3:03:03 AM8/28/19
to Osmand
Are the map really gone? Try to get a look using a file explorer. If you can find the maps on the phone, probably only the directory OsmAnd is looking into was reset. In such case - I would move the maps into the new directory. Simply setting the data path to the old directory should do the trick, I am using it without problems. But if you are on the road, I wouldn't risk that something goes wrong there.

Majka

Aug 28, 2019, 3:06:19 AM8/28/19
to Osmand

On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 21:44:23 UTC+2, J Albrecht wrote:

Same thing happened to me last week! Something “ate” my external micro SD card and rendered it totally useless on my phone. It's completely inaccessible. However, when put into a card reader, I can access the contents on my Macbook without a problem.

This one is different. I suspect just the "access" to the SD card in the phone is corrupted (the phone is simply not seeing it correctly). There might be a partial solution - copy the contents to the Macbook, format the SD card in the phone, and copy the data back (the individual directories, not the whole lot). I wouldn't do it, there might be something wrong with the SD card and it might be time to replace it to avoid a real data corruption.

Vladimir Stehlik

Sep 2, 2019, 9:10:37 AM9/2/19
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Same thing happened to me few times in the past as well. Thank you that I now know that I'm not the only bad one here. Bad for you of course.

In my case the map files were still there, but all attempts in moving them to other folder and re-setting the maps location in Osmand was to no avail. At the end only re-installing Osmand worked.

Since on my trips I'm dependent on knowing my position I never rely on Osmand only or on one device with Osmand only. Usually my good old Garmin unit is saving me.

V.