Lane assistance on circular junctions

Tom Crocker

Feb 15, 2021, 2:08:13 PM2/15/21
to OsmAnd
I've been looking at the navigation on some junction=circular (big roundabouts with traffic lights) routes. So far I haven't seen any lane assistance (although lanes are tagged), just an exit number. Does anyone know if lane assistance ever shows on circulars in osmand? The exit number can be useful for an overview, but can be difficult to interpret when small ways intersect, and is not as handy as lane assistance, especially on big complicated junctions.

On a related note, does anyone know if osmand uses placement tags or connectivity relations in working out the lane assistance? I tried searching GitHub and couldn't find anything, but felt like I wasn't looking in the right place.

Thanks

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 15, 2021, 2:13:00 PM2/15/21
to osmand
If you look at "Configure screen", either from the menu or one of the profiles, the bottom option (scroll way down) is the lanes.

Op ma 15 feb. 2021 om 20:08 schreef Tom Crocker <tomcroc...@gmail.com>:
I've been looking at the navigation on some junction=circular (big roundabouts with traffic lights) routes. So far I haven't seen any lane assistance (although lanes are tagged), just an exit number. Does anyone know if lane assistance ever shows on circulars in osmand? The exit number can be useful for an overview, but can be difficult to interpret when small ways intersect, and is not as handy as lane assistance, especially on big complicated junctions.

On a related note, does anyone know if osmand uses placement tags or connectivity relations in working out the lane assistance? I tried searching GitHub and couldn't find anything, but felt like I wasn't looking in the right place.

Thanks

Tom Crocker

Feb 15, 2021, 2:27:03 PM2/15/21
to OsmAnd
Thanks Harry.

I've got lanes turned on, and turned on the various next turn options. I see lanes on other bits of road, just not circulars (I haven't tried roundabouts).  I've attached what I'm seeing. I wasn't sure if it was overriding the lanes because of the circular or if the lane connections were too complicated for it to work out.

Screenshot_20210215-192121_OsmAnd+.jpg

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 15, 2021, 2:45:57 PM2/15/21
to osmand
See attached image. The road in this case is not entirely tagged.
Screenshot_20210215-192121_OsmAnd-modded.jpg

The part in the magenta rectangle is correctly tagged. The "turn:lanes" tag contains "through|through|through;right"
The part in the red rectangle misses the "turn:lanes" tag.
Below the OSM edit screen with the road section that misses the tag.
nottagged.jpg

Harry

Tom Crocker

Feb 15, 2021, 3:16:25 PM2/15/21
to OsmAnd
Thanks Harry

Well spotted. That was a bad example! But I see the same at this junction https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/752088368#map=19/53.83477/-1.65115, and this https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/663536551#map=19/53.80814/-1.45243, which I think are both correctly tagged.

e.g.

Screenshot_20210215-201016_OsmAnd+.jpg
But here is lane guidance later on the same route.
Screenshot_20210215-201026_OsmAnd+.jpg
Thanks again

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 15, 2021, 4:02:08 PM2/15/21
to osmand
Your top image belongs to the 2nd link.
If I do a route simulation I do see the lanes.

Screenshot_20210215-215802.png

====

For your second image (belongs to the first link): I do see lanes in the top of your screen.
I don't understand what you mean with that example.

Harry

Tom Crocker

Feb 15, 2021, 4:20:00 PM2/15/21
to OsmAnd
Both images are from the same junction (or just after in the case showing lanes). I was just wanting to show that I do see some lanes, just not at circulars.
I see the same lanes you are showing, but those are lanes once you get off the roundabout, for the junction 65m ahead (you're just on the exit way in your screenshot) not the lanes on the roundabout itself which are tagged through and right (although looking at the images, that's wrong too!)

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 15, 2021, 4:30:50 PM2/15/21
to osmand
OK,

Maybe you should file an issue for it: https://github.com/osmandapp/OsmAnd/issues
So that one of the developers can have a look at it.
This mail group is for users helping users.

Tom Crocker

Feb 15, 2021, 5:13:14 PM2/15/21
to OsmAnd
Thanks Harry, will do. I just wasn't sure if it was because the lane tagging was complicated and whether others knew of circulars where it worked.

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 16, 2021, 3:07:38 AM2/16/21
to osmand
It is a bug, or at least a not-implemented functionality.
I checked a few multi-lane big roundabouts with traffic lights in my area, and it is the same. They are correctly tagged with turn:lanes, but OsmAnd does not show them.