OSMand is now a slave app of google play services

Egal

Feb 4, 2021, 11:28:36 AM2/4/21
to OsmAnd
Since version 3.9.3 in OSMand the GPS don't works when
you downloaded the app from Google Play Store and you use your device offline without google play services.
So do I. Since version 3.9.3 (also 3.9.4 and 3.9.5) routing is impossible for me because OSMand now don't activates the GPS. In versions 3.9.1 beta and 3.9.2 beta and all previous versions the GPS worked normaly.
It seems, that OSMand is now an new slave of the google services. As vshcherb (the main developer) wrote:
"Google Play version very likely won't be working correctly if Google Play Services are not installed. There are many limitation in Google Play right now, so we won't be able to distribute previous version that used GPS without Google Play Services."
This is the end of the app free of google services. OSMand turns now to a google slave app with build in google spies. This was a very bad decision of the app developer .

Please send your protest to the developer.

Peter B

Feb 4, 2021, 11:46:46 AM2/4/21
to OsmAnd
Victor (vshcherb) wrote that there are 3 versions of osmand which are usable without Goofgle Play services.
And there are a lot of comments of experienced people who can't confirm the problem.
It is a good idea to read the whole thread.

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 4, 2021, 12:42:13 PM2/4/21
to osmand
And if you are such a hater of the Google services, why do you even download from Google Play? That is in total contradiction with your arguments. You even use a gmail account ! What do you actually expect?
If you are here to troll, then please do it somewhere else.

If you want to be free from Google, then remove your Account settings from your phone. download from F-droid (or less preferable: from Amazon). F-droid is normally slightly behind in releases but if you want free open-source software, you should go to F-droid.
Also: look for LineageOS for your phone

Harry

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 4, 2021, 12:52:23 PM2/4/21
to osmand
Are you Thunichgud?

Peter B

Feb 4, 2021, 1:38:41 PM2/4/21
to OsmAnd
Thanks, Harry (I love you :-)
Peter

Egal

Feb 14, 2021, 9:44:56 AM2/14/21
to OsmAnd

Harry, you know why I download OSMand from Google Play Store: I downloaded a paid OSMand first time there and since this first download I'm a slave of Google. Yes, I hate that (and many other peoples, too), but I can't change that now. You also know, that F-Droid don't offers a complete version of OSMand and you know that the newest version of OSMand is offered there with a delay of some weeks. Sometimes F-Droid offers the newest version never.
When you know that all: Why do you ask me that ? It's pure rhetoric from you ! It seems, that you are the troll here and that you don't tolerate critics against OSMand.
I paid for OSMand, but with the versions 3.9.3, 3.9.4, 3.9.5 and 3.9.6 OSMand closes the door for me by including Google spy software which blocks the app when the google play (spy) services are not active. That is not OK ! The alternate versions shows, that OSMand can work without the google spy services.
Yes, I hate Google because it is grown to a moloch which spies everywhere in my life, when I'm online. I can't change that, but I can protest against it. When a previously google free app becomes a google slave app, I protest against that. I'm not a troll, I'm a free man, who wants to keep free.

Helmut Jarausch

Feb 14, 2021, 10:54:47 AM2/14/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I don't understand your problem at all. I myself started out with the paid version on Google Play. But now I tap on 'builds' and download the latest version 'android full' just done so today (it's a 4.0 version)
I have all features of the paid version - no need for Google any more.

Xavier

Feb 14, 2021, 10:58:22 AM2/14/21
to OsmAnd
On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 06:44:55AM -0800, Egal wrote:
>You also know, that F-Droid don't offers a complete version of OSMand

What, specifically, is missing from the F-Droid version?

>I paid for OSMand, but with the versions 3.9.3, 3.9.4, 3.9.5 and 3.9.6
>OSMand closes the door for me by including Google spy software which
>blocks the app when the google play (spy) services are not active.
>That is not OK

You are correct, that is not OK. However your anger is being directed
at the wrong entity. OSMAnd is not "including Google spy software".
OSMAnd is simply playing withing the rather strict rules set out by
Google.

Google has been restricting access to everything on Android, and
funneling everything, more and more, through Google Play Services with
each update they make to Android. And access to GPS data is but one of
the data sets that Google has been restricting in this way on Android.
This is the reason for the existance of the microG project
(https://microg.org/), an attempt to provide an alternative access
point for those same API's but without including the google spy machine
in the process.

It is not OSMAnd's fault that in order to run on a standard Android
base (which is what, but for the select few, all Android phones run)
that Google requires that they make use of the google play services
component. Google has forced that upon them. You should direct your
anger at Google, not at OSMAnd.

Egal

Feb 14, 2021, 5:29:16 PM2/14/21
to OsmAnd
@Helmut:
You wrote: "But now I tap on 'builds' and download the latest version ". Sorry, perhaps I'm stupid but were do you tap on "builds" ?

@Xavier:
Do you have experience with microG ? Is it in an useable state ? Will it solve in its actual state the new problem of OSMand with GPS ?

Xavier

Feb 14, 2021, 10:50:26 PM2/14/21
to OsmAnd
On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 02:29:16PM -0800, Egal wrote:

>Xavier schrieb am Sonntag, 14. Februar 2021 um 16:58:22 UTC+1:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 06:44:55AM -0800, Egal wrote:
>> Google has been restricting access to everything on Android, and
>> funneling everything, more and more, through Google Play Services
>> with each update they make to Android. And access to GPS data is
>> but one of the data sets that Google has been restricting in this
>> way on Android. This is the reason for the existance of the microG
>> project (https://microg.org/), an attempt to provide an alternative
>> access point for those same API's but without including the google
>> spy machine in the process.
>
>@Xavier:
>Do you have experience with microG ? Is it in an useable state ?
>Will it solve in its actual state the new problem of OSMand with GPS ?

No, I do not have experience using microG. I only know of its
existance and stated purpose of replacing the google play services
api's with equivalents that are more privacy respecting than google
will ever be.

As to whether it might solve the issue, since it is open source and
freelly available, there is no cost other than the time to do so to
just try it and see if it solves the issue.

Helmut Jarausch

Feb 15, 2021, 8:25:47 AM2/15/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Go to settings / extensions and activate the OS And-development extension.
After that the Builds button appears.

Egal

Feb 15, 2021, 9:23:02 AM2/15/21
to OsmAnd
@Helmut:
Sorry again, but I have activated the OSMand-development extension but the button "Builds" appears nowhere in OSMand. Where appears it in your app ? Do you update OSMand from inside of the app ?

Helmut Jarausch

Feb 15, 2021, 9:31:52 AM2/15/21
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Download the Android-full version from
https://download.osmand.net/latest-night-build/
Later, I use the Builds button to download and install an update from within OSMAnd