Route planning on PC, download whole country maps, maximum number of waypoints

Marc Gotzel

Feb 24, 2020, 5:02:31 AM2/24/20
to OsmAnd
Hello,

sorry my english isn't good enough to find answears to my questions in the search engine.

I want to buy the OSMAND+ Version for my android device, but I'm still not sure if it is the right app for me.

I'm using google maps since today, but for my holiday trips I#m searching an app that is able to calculate a route with more the 10 waypoints..
(Planning a Norway trip actually, so need roundabout 20-30 stops)

I want to plan the route on my laptop as well, and then send it to my mobile if possible.

And I tried the freeware version... there I have many small maps for every country.... is it not possible to download the whole country like Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Germany?
Perhaps in the + Version?

ANd what about the problem with longer distances? I just read about them here... is it stil actual?

Many thx from Germany
Marc

Helmut Jarausch

Feb 24, 2020, 6:43:57 AM2/24/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
You can use any software which can create a list of waypoints which can be exported - preferably as GPX file.
This file can be put onto your mobile, then you can navigate along this GPX track.
If you have multiple intermediate points the computation of a route doesn't pose any problems.
I have had problems only when the distance between two adjacent stops is 500 km or more.
The paid version can download as many maps as your mobile can store.
For all of Germany plus Denmark you will probably need about 6 Gb storage.
If your mobile can use an external SD card you have no problems. I've just bought a very good and fast card with a capacity of 128 Gb for about 20 Euro.
For navigating by car I use Magic Earth in addition since it monitors traffic jams in real time and changes your route accordingly. Unfortunately this feature won't ever come to OSMAnd since companies have to pay for that.
I have looked at several apps for Android and I have selected those two apps.

Peer

Feb 24, 2020, 7:05:46 AM2/24/20
to OsmAnd
I too am going to Norway in this coming summer. I have Osmand+ installed and the maps of the Netherlands, parts of Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Norway. I like the detailed maps. You will have to get used to Osmand but it does have many interesting features so it is worth it.

An good alternative is Mapfactor. You can create routes with many waypoints. This app is easier then Osmand, the maps are smaller and the routecalculation is faster. But the maps are not as detailed as the maps of Osmand.

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 24, 2020, 7:24:29 AM2/24/20
to osmand
I used to be a longtime user of Mapfactor Navigator as it is a very fast and at the same time a "light-weight" app for your phone/android unit, but they create their maps by hand and these sometimes contain errors, which gives you errors in routing.

I currently use OsmAnd+ for hiking/bicycling and Magic Earth for car navigation. The latter also because it has (free) traffic info and can be used to create multi-point routes though not as good and easy as OsmAnd or Mapfactor Navigator.
Because of its profiles (which are extremely buggy and unworkable in the current 3.5.5, but which work correctly in the to be released 3.6 version) I also use OsmAnd now for caravan because it routes better thanks to those profiles.

The maps of OsmAnd are more detailed than any other map. The 2nd reason for the big map files is, is that they are uncompressed while all the other apps use some compression algorithm like zip, gzip, lz4 (extremely fast), etc.
It would be a big bonus for me if OsmAnd would compress their maps as well (with for example lz4). It is not only about size on SD-card, but using a fast decompression algorithm increases the speed at which maps can be read: reading a small file from a slow disk and uncompressing it in fast memory would be beneficial for overall performance.

Harry

Helmut Jarausch

Feb 24, 2020, 9:30:25 AM2/24/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
But AFAIK it's difficult to access a (small) part of a compressed file without decompressing the whole file first.

ra

Feb 24, 2020, 10:06:29 AM2/24/20
to OsmAnd
harry, ME looks very good indeed! but I cannot find the setting for 2D + north always up _ continuously turning maps are super-no-go ;-)

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 24, 2020, 10:12:07 AM2/24/20
to osmand

Op ma 24 feb. 2020 om 15:30 schreef Helmut Jarausch <hjar...@gmail.com>:
But AFAIK it's difficult to access a (small) part of a compressed file without decompressing the whole file first.

With the "conservative" compression methods: yes.
More modern (de)compression algorithms (lz4/lzo) can do "on-the-fly" (de)compression. It is an integral part of the reading/writing function (Actually: streaming movies/music is different, but also there you decompress small chunks of data when it "arrives", not by first reading the entire file).

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 24, 2020, 10:14:57 AM2/24/20
to osmand

Op ma 24 feb. 2020 om 16:06 schreef 'ra' via OsmAnd <osm...@googlegroups.com>:
harry, ME looks very good indeed! but I cannot find the setting for 2D + north always up _ continuously turning maps are super-no-go ;-)

Off topic, but OK.
Settings -> Select a profile (general/car/bicycle) ->  General Settings -> Map rotation (2nd option)

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 24, 2020, 10:17:30 AM2/24/20
to osmand

Op ma 24 feb. 2020 om 16:14 schreef Harry van der Wolf <hvd...@gmail.com>:
Sorry. I thought you meant "ME". as in It looks good to me, but in pitch English :)
But you mentioned Magic earth.

ra

Feb 24, 2020, 10:23:45 AM2/24/20
to OsmAnd
sorry for being too short ;-) - I also browsed the site of course and do NOT find an answer - can it be magic earth ALWAYS turns the map, whatever the setting?

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 24, 2020, 10:30:41 AM2/24/20
to osmand
I just checked and I do not think they have an "always North" setting.
But you might ask them: sup...@generalmagic.com

ra

Feb 26, 2020, 10:01:54 AM2/26/20
to OsmAnd
"The feature to navigate with North up is not available in Magic Earth, but it will be analyzed for the future releases of our app. The development case is C1170". so that might take a while ...