Video tutorial: using the profiles

Bart Eisenberg

Mar 9, 2020, 3:12:07 PM3/9/20
to OsmAnd
I've created a video tutorial on how to use the profiles: https://youtu.be/TpT9S-b495M

The full collection is on my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/barteisenberg/

Harry van der Wolf

Mar 10, 2020, 5:37:12 AM3/10/20
to osmand
Hi Bart,

Again a great and  easy to follow video guide.
Thanks.

I want to do some improvements to the help page(s) (https://osmand.net/help-online). Some texts are definitely written by non-native speakers (as I am myself), but even I can improve them. And maybe the native speakers might still complain. (and should I use analyse or analyze, or motorway or highway, or lorry or truck, or underground (and then tube in London) or subway?  ;) )
Next to that: I actually want to add another section at the right navigation area with "External (video) guides" where your Youtube channel should get its rightful place.

Harry

Op ma 9 mrt. 2020 om 20:12 schreef Bart Eisenberg <bartei...@gmail.com>:
I've created a video tutorial on how to use the profiles: https://youtu.be/TpT9S-b495M

The full collection is on my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/barteisenberg/

Bart Eisenberg

Mar 10, 2020, 11:30:07 AM3/10/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Harry!

I recently got an email from "Eugene zmeu" asking if he could add my tutorials "to our articles in Features".  I said yes, of course, but am not sure how they'll be used. (I'm just happy they're of value.)

To my American ear, the help pages are surprisingly clear. Where I notice a gap, due to non-native writing, murky technical writing, or both, is in parts of the blog, such as the OsmAnd 3.6 post.  I'm still trying to figure out, for example, exactly how the improved version of straight-line navigation works and where it might be useful.  Airplane landings?

I'm interested, long term, in doing some videos beyond OsmAnd and would appreciate your thoughts.  I read on the forum that you like Magic Earth. Would that be worthy, you think?  Any other suggestions--products, trends or technologies? I recently did one on Custom Maps, an open source Android app I've long admired. And I think my undiscovered masterpiece is a video essay on OSM becoming the world's trail map.  ;-)

Best,
Bart

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OsmAnd" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osmand/CAGARPpsAVVFLzOCF1pSqtTvfyYm-bJHswz%2Bvq_55cy1ZVBBjJw%40mail.gmail.com.

Harry van der Wolf

Mar 10, 2020, 12:41:42 PM3/10/20
to osmand

Op di 10 mrt. 2020 om 16:30 schreef Bart Eisenberg <bartei...@gmail.com>:
Thanks Harry!

I recently got an email from "Eugene zmeu" asking if he could add my tutorials "to our articles in Features".  I said yes, of course, but am not sure how they'll be used. (I'm just happy they're of value.)

On the Blog and Features page they also have the "Stories" sections. I do find a story there from "some" Bart: https://osmand.net/blog/story-19
Somewhere halfway is a link to your channel.
That article I just discovered.

To my American ear, the help pages are surprisingly clear. Where I notice a gap, due to non-native writing, murky technical writing, or both, is in parts of the blog, such as the OsmAnd 3.6 post.  I'm still trying to figure out, for example, exactly how the improved version of straight-line navigation works and where it might be useful.  Airplane landings?

I sometimes use it out of curiosity, like: it is 308 km in a straight line. Why do I have to drive 487km? But that is my only use for it. In mountainous areas it can be extreme when travelling by car from one valley to another parallel valley, or around a lake.
Even a plane can't fly in straight line because they have to stick to their flight lanes bypassing/avoiding greater cities and military objects for example, and to separate the commercial flightlanes from the military flight lanes.
Only a bird can fly in a straight line (if it is not too windy).

I'm interested, long term, in doing some videos beyond OsmAnd and would appreciate your thoughts.  I read on the forum that you like Magic Earth. Would that be worthy, you think?  Any other suggestions--products, trends or technologies? I recently did one on Custom Maps, an open source Android app I've long admired. And I think my undiscovered masterpiece is a video essay on OSM becoming the world's trail map.  ;-)

Well, I can only say that I discovered that video essay relatively fast after you released that one :)
W.r.t. Magic Earth: I really like it, but as it contains only a small subset of the OsmAnd functionality and "tweakability", the learning curve is also quite low.
When comparing it to OsmAnd for car navigation, I prefer ME in 80% of the cases (or so), but that's mostly because of the free traffic info (which is not always 100% accurate) and the very clear screen with accurate voice instructions.
Even though it's pedestrian and cycle modes are relatively good, I still prefer OsmAnd by far. It really is the Swiss knife of navigation apps giving you hundreds of sometimes confusing options/functionalities.

Harry

Pere Pujal i Carabantes

Mar 10, 2020, 4:08:56 PM3/10/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
El dt. 10 de 03 de 2020 a les 17:41 +0100, en/na Harry van der Wolf va
escriure:

> Op di 10 mrt. 2020 om 16:30 schreef Bart Eisenberg <
> bartei...@gmail.com>:
> >
> > To my American ear, the help pages are surprisingly clear. Where I
> > notice a gap, due to non-native writing, murky technical writing,
> > or both, is in parts of the blog, such as the OsmAnd 3.6 post. I'm
> > still trying to figure out, for example, exactly how the improved
> > version of straight-line navigation works and where it might be
> > useful. Airplane landings?

It should be very usefull in unknown/unmaped terrain were you want to
know the direction to the destination but can not relay on the map data
to get there, so you take the paths that you see on the terrain that
you assume will lead better to the destination.

HTH
Pere

Bart Eisenberg

Mar 10, 2020, 4:44:52 PM3/10/20
to OsmAnd
Yeah, that "Bart" story: c'est moi.

The new version of straight-line navigation kicks in if you go off-course. With the appropriate settings, it maintains your original bearing, then, maybe two-thirds of the way, it  course-corrects--angling back to the destination.  What's the application for this? As opposed to just straight straight-line navigation from current location to destination.

Here's the blog description:  "We have also implemented a new setting. In case if you deviate from the route during the navigation, this setting builds the shortest path from your current position to the calculated route with the maximum angle. In other words, if the angle is higher than the one set by the user, OsmAnd calculates the next point of the route to build an additional route segment, so the angle will be valid."

Roberto Petitpas

Mar 10, 2020, 4:54:07 PM3/10/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Plane: useful in a Salt Flat, like Uyuni (Bolivia) for example. No roads, all can be traversed, and you can get lost because of uniform white horizon. 50km around you, only white to see.

I can have a track pointing to a designed reference place at the Flat border, then meander wherever I want, Osmand will always point to my designed reference.

But in the Uyuni case, there are path in OsmAnd because guides use them, the sames all the time.

Best regards,
Roberto

Pere Pujal i Carabantes

Mar 10, 2020, 8:02:47 PM3/10/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
El dt. 10 de 03 de 2020 a les 13:44 -0700, en/na Bart Eisenberg va
escriure:
> Yeah, that "Bart" story: c'est moi.
>
> The new version of straight-line navigation kicks in if you go off-
> course. With the appropriate settings, it maintains your original
> bearing, then, maybe two-thirds of the way, it course-corrects
> --angling back to the destination. What's the application for this?
> As opposed to just straight straight-line navigation from current
> location to destination.
>
> Here's the blog description: "We have also implemented a new
> setting. In case if you deviate from the route during the navigation,
> this setting builds the shortest path from your current position to
> the calculated route with the maximum angle. In other words, if the
> angle is higher than the one set by the user, OsmAnd calculates the
> next point of the route to build an additional route segment, so the
> angle will be valid."

Oh, sorry I didn't understand, text inside osmand seems more clear,
According to the text inside osmand i see:
navigation type: straight line
route parameters: minimal distance to recalculate and minimum angle
between my location and route.

minimal distance to recalculate route:
the route will be recalculated if the distance to the route is longer
to the specified parameter. Ranges from disable to 1.5 km

Minimum angle between my location and route
Extra straight segment between my location and calculated route will be
displayed until the route is recalculated. Ranges from 0 to 90 degrees

I understand that if one deviates from the route(straight line) but not
enough to trigger recalculation of it, then a small line will be drawed
between the current position and a point of the route that fits with
the selected angle, so instead of seeing the current position as a dot
out of the straight line, one sees a small line leading to the main
straight line.

Makes sense?
Pere
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osmand/52c13fc4-be9c-4db5-90f0-adf570b169db%40googlegroups.com
> .

danilo.baggini

Mar 11, 2020, 2:25:07 AM3/11/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Yes make a lot of sense for a boat.

I will explain:
You define a route, a straighr line to the destination, but there is an island and the boat obviously MUST avoid the island, there is fog, a lateral current shift the boat from original route.
1 the navigation sistem recalculate a new route ro the destination, the new route go over the island => danger
2 the navigation system calculate a small segment with a new angle to return over the original route => no danger to go over the island

Best regards from a oceanic skipper, 5 atlantic crossing and NE passage in Arctic Sea nord of Siberia from Japan to Norway.

Danilo

Mar 11, 2020, 5:08:05 AM3/11/20
to OsmAnd
We plan to improve Measure Distance tool (https://github.com/osmandapp/Osmand/issues/7751) and add this tool for iOS version soon.

Harry van der Wolf

Mar 11, 2020, 5:16:01 AM3/11/20
to osmand

Op wo 11 mrt. 2020 om 10:08 schreef Eugene zmeu <pro...@gmail.com>:
We plan to improve Measure Distance tool (https://github.com/osmandapp/Osmand/issues/7751) and add this tool for iOS version soon.

Nice. The different navigation types can already be used in 3.6.3 on Android.

Harry

Eugene zmeu

Mar 11, 2020, 6:04:35 AM3/11/20
to OsmAnd
For each segment - 3.7

Helmut Jarausch

Mar 11, 2020, 7:30:14 AM3/11/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Here is a problem which I can't solve and which is related to straight line navigation.
You notice a distant fire and you want to find where it is located.
On my old Garmin device there is a feature called Sight'N Go.
One aims at the distant object and presses Enter. Then one can create a distant way point by specifying an approximate distance.
This can be used to solve my problem as follows:
Do Sight'N Go from two positions (P1 and P2) which are sufficiently apart from each other. This gives the two distant way points D1 and D2.
With these data one creates a piecewise straight route connecting
P1 - > D1 - > D2 - > P2
This route intersects itself at the position of the fire. (at least if the estimated distances of D1 and D2 are greater than the distance of the fire)
Sorry if this is too offtopic,
Helmut

Helmut Jarausch

Mar 11, 2020, 10:10:33 AM3/11/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, it should be
P1 - > D2 - > D1 - > P2

Message has been deleted

Bart Eisenberg

Mar 11, 2020, 12:07:46 PM3/11/20
to OsmAnd
I've experimented with the Measure distance feature, but never really used it for navigation--so I've not mentioned it in a video.  But I'm interested: what do you see as its main uses and advantages?

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 1:56:23

Bart Eisenberg

Mar 11, 2020, 12:08:57 PM3/11/20
to OsmAnd
Thanks for that explanation.  Is the new Direct-to-point navigation type (see https://osmand.net/blog/osmand-3-6-released), which the blog says is for marine use, also for circumventing barriers?  What are the advantages of each?
> send an email to osm...@googlegroups.com.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osmand/52c13fc4-be9c-4db5-90f0-adf570b169db%40googlegroups.com
> .

Harry van der Wolf

Mar 11, 2020, 1:49:24 PM3/11/20
to osmand

Op wo 11 mrt. 2020 om 17:07 schreef Bart Eisenberg <bartei...@gmail.com>:
I've experimented with the Measure distance feature, but never really used it for navigation--so I've not mentioned it in a video.  But I'm interested: what do you see as its main uses and advantages?

It used to be just what its name says: measure distance, and nothing more than that.
Now you add points, you do snap to road with a profile (pedestrian/hiking in your case I assume), save it as route or line, and you have your route or track.
Once you have your route and want to modify it, I think I would use the gpx functionality.
There is a lot of overlap in the functionality, but just "plotting" a route in the measure distance "tool" is faster (my experience)

Harry

Bart Eisenberg

Mar 11, 2020, 1:51:08 PM3/11/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com