background navigation requires location provider

David Walsh

Jun 9, 2019, 4:13:20 PM6/9/19
to Osmand
Osmand + was working fantastic on my old android phone. I installed on my new android 9 phone but directions do not work. I keep getting the message "background navigation requires location provider" what does this mean? I thought that Osmand works off line on GPS signal. How do I fix this problem?

Bart Eisenberg

Jun 9, 2019, 6:23:59 PM6/9/19
to Osmand
Are you getting a GPS signal?  Can you locate, for example, on Google Maps?

David Walsh

Jun 10, 2019, 12:12:10 AM6/10/19
to Osmand
Yes Google maps locates and Osmand direction starts initially and voice direction says the distance and time to destination but after that is waiting for signal.

Bart Eisenberg

Jun 10, 2019, 12:53:19 AM6/10/19
to Osmand
In Android, a "location provider" is a service that provides your location--typically a GPS signal.  So given the error message, it sounds like you are not getting a signal once OsmAnd starts running in the background.  If Google Maps also has this problem, that would help narrow the cause down and would probably indicate that it's hardware-specific.

That's about the limit of my knowledge. Maybe someone else here can offer more.

Line Hansen

Jun 10, 2019, 3:46:46 AM6/10/19
to osm...@googlegroups.com
If Google maps can show you where you are, and Osmand can not, then I
suspect your new phone's default Android location service permissions
for Osmand is simply set to currently deny Osmand to use Android's
location data service.

If that is the case you just need to change the permissions for Osmand,
so that Android allows Osmand to use Android's location service.

On my phone (Android 7.2.1) I can change Osmand's permissions in
Settings > Device > Apps > Osmand > Permissions

The "Location" permission needs to be switched on there.

Cheers :o)
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osmand/103cbef5-de6e-4c5a-b1bc-045c225c93b1%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osmand/103cbef5-de6e-4c5a-b1bc-045c225c93b1%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Walsh

Jun 11, 2019, 10:24:56 AM6/11/19
to Osmand
I had checked permissions as a first step. After trying for two days to get directions to work it suddenly started working and maintains a GPS signal. I cannot pinpoint anything I did to cause a change. I will report if it does not continue to work.