OsmAnd Live -- Failure to connect

Bart Eisenberg

Jan 3, 2021, 1:09:23 PM1/3/21
to OsmAnd
On OsmAnd Live / <California map> / update now I keep getting  "Failure to connect to /127 0.0.1:8118".  It does show the last update as being current.  But my edits to OSM from two days ago aren't showing up.

I'm new to OsmAnd Live--any thoughts?

Harry van der Wolf

Jan 3, 2021, 1:23:55 PM1/3/21
to osmand
I don't use OsmAnd live, but that address 127.0.0.1 is the local ip-address of your phone in case you don't have a network.
But it is also used by addblocker software and the like, to reroute traffic from "suspicious" or known "addware/malware" sites to the local address instead of the real website, so that the add (or worse) can't be displayed/retrieved.

Like f.e. www.thoseannoyingadds.com will be rerouted to 127.0.0.1

Anything like that on your phone?

Harry

Op zo 3 jan. 2021 om 19:09 schreef Bart Eisenberg <bartei...@gmail.com>:
On OsmAnd Live / <California map> / update now I keep getting  "Failure to connect to /127 0.0.1:8118".  It does show the last update as being current.  But my edits to OSM from two days ago aren't showing up.

I'm new to OsmAnd Live--any thoughts?

Bart Eisenberg

Jan 3, 2021, 3:27:40 PM1/3/21
to OsmAnd
No malware on the phone (a Pixel 3), and nothing knowingly installed in the last few days--OsmAnd Live was updating before that.  But this does seem to be on my end, so I'll keep experimenting.  Thanks .

Bart Eisenberg

Jan 3, 2021, 4:39:02 PM1/3/21
to OsmAnd
Solved:  thinking about Harry's comment, I checked Download maps.  None shown, but a note in the updates tab that OsmAnd wasn't seeing a network connection.  (It was there.). I finally wound up clearing storage for the app in Android settings, essentially starting over as a fresh install.  That worked.  There of course might be a less dramatic fix.

Harry van der Wolf

Jan 4, 2021, 3:44:02 AM1/4/21
to osmand

Op zo 3 jan. 2021 om 22:39 schreef Bart Eisenberg <bartei...@gmail.com>:
Solved:  thinking about Harry's comment, I checked Download maps.  None shown, but a note in the updates tab that OsmAnd wasn't seeing a network connection.  (It was there.). I finally wound up clearing storage for the app in Android settings, essentially starting over as a fresh install.  That worked.  There of course might be a less dramatic fix.

Next time please try to first remove the regions.ocbf, and then restart OsmAnd. Sometimes when there are network/map download issues, it helps to remove this file.
It is always save to remove that file. It will take Osmand only longer to startup as Osmand will check, (re-)index maps and cache all kind of things.

Harry

Bart Eisenberg

Jan 4, 2021, 12:57:19 PM1/4/21
to OsmAnd
Thanks Harry--I've made a note of it for future reference.