time predictions VERY inaccurate

ra

Jan 25, 2020, 10:17:52 AM1/25/20
to Osmand
I am running osmand with an 1.2-xml for faster route calculation. that works very well indeed, I love osmand! but there are 2 pities: since quite a while the time calculations for car navigation are far from good. even when I drive VERY slowly the calculation is mostly 30-50% longer than the way actually takes. that once was way better!

and in recent times I more than once had the problem that at a round point I followed the voice stating "take the first exit" while in fact and on the map I should have taken the second or third one.

any ideas?

Bart Eisenberg

Jan 25, 2020, 11:31:26 AM1/25/20
to Osmand
From discussions here and my own experience, following a GPX rather than letting OsmAnd calculate the route can affect time estimates (as well as greatly affect turn-by-turn navigation.  One useful tweak is to specify your default minimum, default, and maximum driving speed in Navigation settings > Vehicle parameters > Default speed. That has made walking estimates more accurate for me.

I'm not sure what's going on with that traffic circle.  If it only happens there and not other roundabouts, the problem may reside with the OpenStreetMap data that OsmAnd is using for navigation.

danilo.baggini

Jan 25, 2020, 11:45:23 AM1/25/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I have notes the the route with no access permission are not calculated by OsmAnd so for example the first with no access the second Yes Osmand speaks take first exit.

Danilo

Jan 25, 2020, 12:10:30 PM1/25/20
to Osmand
I've  had this exact problem (take first exit at roundabout) but when I looked at the screen it showed the second or third exact. This happened for the complete journey. I then closed Osmand and opened Google maps and strangely it was doing the same thing. Then I restarted my phone and everything was working correctly after that so I think the problem is with my phone.

kennypaul100

Jan 25, 2020, 12:20:28 PM1/25/20
to Osmand
The biggest issue I have with Osmand is the instruction for exiting a motorway e.g. M6. Most times it says "keep left on M6" but I have noticed that occasionally it just says "keep left". I think this is much less confusing.
I wonder is it possible to drop the "on M6" part from all exit instructions and just leave it as "keep left". I think that would be much better.

ra

Jan 25, 2020, 1:30:45 PM1/25/20
to Osmand
that is a bit strange: not only do I receive my posting here immediately as mail, but also your kind responses. when I answer them (as I did, I copy these here now) I receive mails like:

"Hello,

We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (osmand) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:

 * You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
 * The owner of the group may have removed this group.
 * You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.
 * This group may not be open to posting.

If you have questions related to this or any other Google Group, visit the Help Center at https://groups.google.com/support/.

Thanks,

Google Groups

ok - strange, but another problem.

to bart I responded: "I swear have never seen that setting before - and max speed (for car!) was set to 8 km/h!

not only one circle - wouldn't have mentioned that here if ...

thanks again for your special xml - which took some restarts to work as well as it does now. any rule on that? or would you that with the progresses of osmand (thanks also to the dev's!) the standard-setting on my lg g5 would now do as well, even when I prefer short to fast routes, too?"

to danilo: "no, I was referring to ordinary roads only."

Harry van der Wolf

Jan 25, 2020, 4:05:12 PM1/25/20
to osmand

Op za 25 jan. 2020 om 19:30 schreef 'ra' via Osmand <osm...@googlegroups.com>:

to bart I responded: "I swear have never seen that setting before - and max speed (for car!) was set to 8 km/h!

That is currently the big issue and to be resolved in 3.6.
The profile settings are currently not separated. This max. 8 km/hr is probably the max speed when walking.
The last profile you modify will propagate all profiles with that settings, not all, but all speeds, car height/width/weight settings, and a few others. So I assume you had a look at the pedestrian settings and then saved them (instead of cancel). That propagated those settings also to you car profile.

This really corrupts everything.
The latest nightly builds (since 3 weeks or so) are good. But I did not test again with one of the very latest. I have been a week on holiday and past week extremely busy. There were even other errors introduced due to those profiles that are currently bing worked on. So it might be that the latest nightly builds show again some regressions.

Harry

A Thompson

Jan 25, 2020, 10:28:13 PM1/25/20
to Osmand
Should an enthusiastic user (I) be occasionally downloading nightly builds rather than what's released on Google store?

I'm interested in the statistics of experiencing a significant bug. Are google releases tested more than nightly builds, or do they just correspond to completion of the next wish list without additional testing? Maybe the nightly builds have the same probability of significant bugs on a single day as a google release, but an enthusiastic user wouldn't be stuck with the same significant bugs for months?

Thanks for any input - I'm not being critical but seek information...!

ra

Feb 3, 2020, 9:09:01 AM2/3/20
to OsmAnd

harry and others: it is getting worse, no: osmand has become a disaster! I am using your 1.2-xml and have at the moment set the speed for car to min 20km/h, standard 80, max 120. when I change something there I cannot save it, osmand is not giving way for any changes. and now listen: I drove 2 ways of some 120km this saturday and today. setting car, NOT shortest (which I normally prefer, to take me to nice streets and spots), NOT highways excluded. result: it forced me into the woods, field ways, footpaths even! and tries to force me away from the parallel highway on every exit! calcutated double the time actually needed. does not change the way at any point to something reasonable. being alone in the car it was not possible to make snapshots of the absurd roads proposed thus, so you just must believe me. as I was a fan of osmand for its use of small roads it is something completely different when your sole navigation directs you into muddy forest paths - which I followed first because I WAS happy, when osmand showed me new ways. but this is just a disaster! what the heck is going on?

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 3, 2020, 10:25:35 AM2/3/20
to osmand
Hi,

It is not getting worse as the version is still the same.
You discover more errors in the profiles ;)
The profiles screw everything up. It really amazes me why they did not launch an intermediate bugfix. The current nightly builds function OK. Why not release one of them as bugfix release build?

Harry

Op ma 3 feb. 2020 om 15:09 schreef 'ra' via OsmAnd <osm...@googlegroups.com>:

[...]

ra

Feb 3, 2020, 10:33:06 AM2/3/20
to OsmAnd
so what can a non-professional user of osmand do except for switching to another app, as this one has become obsolete? or: how to get an old version?

Stefan Monnier

Feb 3, 2020, 10:46:46 AM2/3/20
to 'ra' via OsmAnd
> so what can a non-professional user of osmand do except for switching to
> another app, as this one has become obsolete? or: how to get an old version?

I don't know where you're looking, but in F-Droid you can select old
versions (not arbitrarily old, but they do keep some versions around).

Stefan

Xavier

Feb 3, 2020, 12:13:01 PM2/3/20
to OsmAnd
On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 07:33:06AM -0800, 'ra' via OsmAnd wrote:
>so what can a non-professional user of osmand do except for switching to
>another app, as this one has become obsolete? or: how to get an old version?

With f-droid [1], installing an old version is as simple as selecting it
from the list of prior versions in the f-dropd app.

I don't know about the play store.

[1] https://f-droid.org/

ra

Feb 12, 2020, 9:35:11 AM2/12/20
to OsmAnd
any chance osmand will correct these deadly "features" soon? the hazzle of saving and re-installing all my GB of maps etc is another bore ...  f-droid offers nothing older than 3.5.3 ( is that the newest version that is still working?).

Xavier

Feb 12, 2020, 10:53:05 AM2/12/20
to OsmAnd
What f-droid are you looking at? My f-droid app claims to have
available OsmAnd versions all the way back to 0.6.5.

And for recent versions 3.5.2, 3.4.8, 3.4.6, 3.4.5, etc. are all listed
as available for downgrade (note, I am not going to test downgrading,
but everything appears to be available to install if wanted).

ra

Feb 12, 2020, 11:06:42 AM2/12/20
to OsmAnd
are there many versions of f-droid? I just installed it the first time. and it shows these versions only. but I still hope osmand becomes usable again via update ...

Xavier

Feb 12, 2020, 11:14:16 AM2/12/20
to OsmAnd
I have the main f-droid app installed, the one that is offered here:

https://f-droid.org/

Then, when I go into that app, and pull up OsmAnd+ (titled "Maps & GPS
Navigation OsmAnd+") and scroll down to "Versions" I can open the
Versions list and see a large list of older versions.

I am attaching a screen shot of the first page of that versions list,
showing versions back to 3.4.3 (there are even more present, but screen
shots on phones don't do auto-scrolling).

Screenshot_20200212-111047.png

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 12, 2020, 11:23:30 AM2/12/20
to osmand
I did test nightly builds in the past month and they are OK.
3.6 is coming very soon.

ra

Feb 12, 2020, 12:31:58 PM2/12/20
to OsmAnd
xavier, I downloaded the app from your link. this is what osmand shows ME there:
Screenshot_2020-02-12-17-45-15.png
and there is no more further down.

harry: that would be better, thank you. I do not understand, why osmand takes so long to fix a bug that makes it almost unusable.

Xavier

Feb 12, 2020, 12:51:22 PM2/12/20
to OsmAnd
On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 09:31:57AM -0800, 'ra' via OsmAnd wrote:
>xavier, I downloaded the app from your link. this is what osmand
>shows ME there:
>[image: Screenshot_2020-02-12-17-45-15.png]
>and there is no more further down.

Interesting. I have no idea why I see so many more.

Ah, maybe I have found why. Go to the "settings" pane of the main
F-Droid app. Then on mine, about 4 lines down, is a touch area labeled
"Repositories - add additional sources of apps".

Touch that. I have both "F-Droid" and "F-Droid Archive" turned on.

Maybe the much older versions are part of the "archive".

>harry: that would be better, thank you. I do not understand, why
>osmand takes so long to fix a bug that makes it almost unusable.

First question, did you submit a github issue? Because just reporting
it here would likely mean the developers are unaware.

If you did, then my guess: because there are 300 other things, in
addition to this one, to do, and they did not (for whatever reason)
move this one to the top spot on the priority list.

ra

Feb 12, 2020, 1:16:09 PM2/12/20
to OsmAnd
yes, that's it. now I see versions down til 0.6.5 from 2011 ;-) if osmand doesn't recover soon I'll go that way _ or change the navi-app.

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 13, 2020, 6:59:40 AM2/13/20
to osmand
Hi,

OsmAnd works with a relatively large development group doing multiple changes and projects.
you cannot simply release in the middle of a development cycle, because some users using new functionality, run into a bug. I know it is very annoying and I also suffer from it as I already used "profiles" when OsmAnd actually did not support them.

There is not one professional package offering such complex functionality that does this. Changelogs for bigger and complex programs almost always contain multiple changes and bug fixes.
Only urgent security fixes are released on intermediate basis.

It is annoying to have to wait, but it is what it is. I am also using Magic Earth. One promised change is still not in after 9 months. OsmAnd doesn't do so badly.
Of course you are always free to choose another package.

Harry

Op wo 12 feb. 2020 om 19:16 schreef 'ra' via OsmAnd <osm...@googlegroups.com>:
yes, that's it. now I see versions down til 0.6.5 from 2011 ;-) if osmand doesn't recover soon I'll go that way _ or change the navi-app.

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 19, 2020, 10:15:04 AM2/19/20
to osmand
I just tested the latest nightly builds. They work fine.
If you create a derived profile, you need to assign it to a base profile first and then it requires some searching where you can assign your created profile to the base main profile, but for the rest it is OK now.
The latest builds are now "version stamped" as 3.6.
I guess release is very soon now.

Harry

ra

Feb 19, 2020, 10:17:45 AM2/19/20
to OsmAnd
I really hope so - thank you for updating, harry! should or must all profiles be deleted first (after the update finally arrives)?

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 19, 2020, 10:32:57 AM2/19/20
to osmand
I do not know if they need to be recreated.
Last week (or so), I downloaded the new routing.xml from the github repository and I created new profiles (as that is only a 5-10 minutes work).
Those profiles still worked when uploading the one from last Sunday and today.

For my car profile I simply take the complete profile and then remove the profiles I do not need and give the modified car profile (for example) the mycar15 name and save it as mycar15.xml if I use a heuristicCoefficient="1.5".

For walking I just create a modified profile on the default one, without adding my own xml.

Anyway: Just try (and correct them now that it is possible), and if it doesn't work correctly, remove them and recreate them.

Harry

Op wo 19 feb. 2020 om 16:17 schreef 'ra' via OsmAnd <osm...@googlegroups.com>:
I really hope so - thank you for updating, harry! should or must all profiles be deleted first (after the update finally arrives)?

ra

Feb 23, 2020, 11:53:28 AM2/23/20
to OsmAnd
harry, whatever I do, osmand is making me mad and still there is no update! but I need a navigation! I deleted whatever profile I could delete and set all at hand at normal but still osmand sends my car onto walking ways and absurd detours. just to illustrate the madness of that programm just one image of which sort I could send so many:

Screenshot_2020-02-23-17-45-58.png and so it it on whole ways! what can i do??

ra

Feb 23, 2020, 11:58:23 AM2/23/20
to OsmAnd
... and how is that possible?

ra

Feb 23, 2020, 12:01:17 PM2/23/20
to OsmAnd
where and how to get the nightly you are talking about?

Xavier

Feb 23, 2020, 1:08:27 PM2/23/20
to 'ra' via OsmAnd
On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 08:53:28AM -0800, 'ra' via OsmAnd wrote:
>harry, whatever I do, osmand is making me mad and still there is no
>update! but I need a navigation! I deleted whatever profile I could
>delete and set all at hand at normal but still osmand sends my car
>onto walking ways and absurd detours. just to illustrate the madness
>of that programm just one image of which sort I could send so many:

That is an interesting route. I presume the larger, yellow, more
direct road in the center allows travel in both directions?

One thing you might try, since it seems you have gotten something very
messed up somehow, is try fully uninstalling OsmAnd from your device
then reinstalling it afresh.

That should reset everything to the defaults as it ships from the
developers, which might also unset whatever setting in your copy is
causing this odd routing.

Yes, this would mean downloading your maps again, but that seems a
small price to pay if a full 'factory reset' of sorts cleared up your
issues.

Harry van der Wolf

Feb 23, 2020, 1:54:05 PM2/23/20
to 'ra' via OsmAnd
The Play Store version is still 3.5.5.
It doesn't matter if you remove your own profiles or completely uninstall. OsmAnd comes with a set of default profiles for car/pedestrian/bicycle/boat/ etc. They are not "separated" either.
So it is still completely incorrect and gives you a complete mess.

The nightly builds are at: https://download.osmand.net/night-builds/

I am a beta tester (play store beta channel) and I am now on the 3.6. Works OK.

Harry

ra

Feb 23, 2020, 1:54:55 PM2/23/20
to OsmAnd
yes, I will do that now. but please tell me: which folders and files can I savely copy and reinstall to NOT reinstall the bugs?

ra

Feb 23, 2020, 2:08:03 PM2/23/20
to OsmAnd
if so why are not 100.000s of people crying about that?

and yes, of course the yellow road shown is NOT a one way road!

I at least want to keep my favorites/markings and maybe maps. what after de-installing and getting the last nightly (OsmAnd-master-qt-nb-2020-02-23.apk, right?) can I re-install without destroing the new osmand again? thank you so much!

(on every other forum I know it is possible to apply changes to posts, not with google ...)

Am Sonntag, 23. Februar 2020 19:54:05 UTC+1 schrieb Harry van der Wolf:
The Play Store version is still 3.5.5.
It doesn't matter if you remove your own profiles or completely uninstall. OsmAnd comes with a set of default profiles for car/pedestrian/bicycle/boat/ etc. They are not "separated" either.
So it is still completely incorrect and gives you a complete mess.

Harry

Andy Townsend

Feb 23, 2020, 2:14:14 PM2/23/20
to osm...@googlegroups.com
> if so why are not 100.000s of people crying about that

Perhaps because they accept the inevitable compromise that comes with using an app that someone else has written?

In this case you do have the option of modifying and building your own version.

ra

Feb 23, 2020, 2:36:10 PM2/23/20
to OsmAnd
this is absolutely not the point as for years osmand generally worked just great and just after last changes it "is still completely incorrect and gives you a complete mess."

please: I at least want to keep my favorites/markings and maybe maps. what after de-installing and getting the last nightly (which file on https://download.osmand.net/night-builds/ is it?) can I re-install without destroing the new osmand again? thank you so much!

Xavier

Feb 23, 2020, 4:56:03 PM2/23/20
to OsmAnd
On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 11:08:03AM -0800, 'ra' via OsmAnd wrote:
>(on every other forum I know it is possible to apply changes to posts, not
>with google ...)

This is not a forum (in the sense you mean of a web-forum). The google
interface is a forum-lookalike for what is a mailing list underneath. As
soon as you make a post, a flurry of emails are transmitted to subscribers.
So there is no way to 'edit' a post and have it change after those emails go
out.

Which is also why some small amount of quoting prior context (see above) is
also a very useful habit to get into.

Xavier

Feb 23, 2020, 4:58:25 PM2/23/20
to OsmAnd
On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 11:36:10AM -0800, 'ra' via OsmAnd wrote:
>Am Sonntag, 23. Februar 2020 20:14:14 UTC+1 schrieb Andy Townsend:
>>
>> > if so why are not 100.000s of people crying about that
>>
>> Perhaps because they accept the inevitable compromise that comes
>> with using an app that someone else has written?
>>
>> In this case you do have the option of modifying and building your
>> own version.
>>

>this is absolutely not the point as for years osmand generally worked
>just great and just after last changes it "is still completely
>incorrect and gives you a complete mess."

And did you ever report that 'complete mess' via the OsmAnd github
issue tracker? Because telling us here is not guaranteed to make the
actual developers (the ones with the power to fix the issue) aware. In
fact, if you assume that telling us here on the mailing list does *not*
make the developers aware, you'll be right almost one hundred percent
of the time.

ra

Feb 25, 2020, 5:01:30 PM2/25/20
to OsmAnd
the horror is over as 3.6 finally arrived. I wish I could understand the logic behind calculations as the one shown in my picture from 2 days ago.