Can't start navigation, too far from nearest roaf

Erik Eti Smit

Jun 30, 2019, 6:59:02 AM6/30/19
to Osmand
I just installed Osmand, but I can't use navigation. I am in a town, the map shows my exact location, but all I am getting is 'can't start navigation. Too far from nearest road'. Apparently, navigation can't see the roads that are on the map. What can I do?

Helmut Jarausch

Jun 30, 2019, 10:17:47 AM6/30/19
to osm...@googlegroups.com
That's strange.
Just try to change
Settings - > Navigation Settings
There select a profile and change the
'stay on road' setting.

Erik Eti Smit <hand...@gmail.com> schrieb am So., 30. Juni 2019, 12:59:
I just installed Osmand, but  I can't use navigation. I am in a town, the map shows my exact location, but all I am getting is 'can't start navigation. Too far from nearest road'. Apparently, navigation can't see the roads that are on the map. What can I do?

Pere Pujal i Carabantes

Jun 30, 2019, 11:41:17 AM6/30/19
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Just to discard things, in case you are just using the World map:
Have you downloaded the map for the city/country you want?

El 30 de juny de 2019 12:59:02 CEST, Erik Eti Smit <hand...@gmail.com> ha escrit:

--
Enviat des del meu dispositiu Android amb el K-9 Mail. Disculpeu la brevetat.

Xavier

Jun 30, 2019, 1:06:36 PM6/30/19
to Osmand
You did not say if you had downloaded any map data yet? If all you did
was install OsmAnd, then you need to go into the main menu, pick
"download maps", and then download one or more maps of the area near
you.

Erik Eti Smit

Jun 30, 2019, 6:23:31 PM6/30/19
to Osmand
Do I have to download maps? Why? Can't I simply use the world map online?

Erik Eti Smit

Jun 30, 2019, 6:26:11 PM6/30/19
to Osmand
No, I ignored messages about downloading maps, because I wanted to use the online map. I have unlimited data, and Play Store says it should work both online and offline.

On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 5:41:17 PM UTC+2, Pere Pujal i Carabantes wrote:
Just to discard things, in case you are just using the World map:
Have you downloaded the map for the city/country you want?

Pere Pujal i Carabantes

Jun 30, 2019, 6:55:03 PM6/30/19
to osm...@googlegroups.com
It can work both, offline with the osmand service or online with the osmr service.
The ofline osmand service is the default and it needs downloaded maps, you could set osmand to use the OSMR online service, wich doean't need downloaded maps and works online in configuration->car|cicle|bike|--->navigation service.
HTH
Pere

Erik Eti Smit

Jun 30, 2019, 8:04:48 PM6/30/19
to Osmand
Thanks. HOw do I use the OSMR service? I have 'online maps' set to Enabled, but that's probably not enough? I can't find a setting that says 'osmr'.

Pere Pujal i Carabantes

Jun 30, 2019, 8:39:36 PM6/30/19
to osm...@googlegroups.com

El 1 de juliol de 2019 2:04:48 CEST, Erik Eti Smit <hand...@gmail.com> ha escrit:
>Thanks. HOw do I use the OSMR service? I have 'online maps' set to
>Enabled,
>but that's probably not enough? I can't find a setting that says
>'osmr'.
>

>On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 12:55:03 AM UTC+2, Pere Pujal i Carabantes
>wrote:
>>
>> It can work both, offline with the osmand service or online with the
>osmr
>> service.
>> The ofline osmand service is the default and it needs downloaded
>maps, you
>> could set osmand to use the OSMR online service, wich doean't need
>> downloaded maps and works online in
>> configuration->car|cicle|bike|--->navigation service.

Sorry, should be
Configuration->Navigation->select vehicle->navigation service(the first entry)

The spell may be different as I am translating to English from my language(Catalan)

Pere Pujal i Carabantes

Jul 1, 2019, 2:06:43 AM7/1/19
to osm...@googlegroups.com
BTW, I really suggest the osmand offline service, just try both and decide on your own

Jack Burke

Jul 1, 2019, 3:07:58 AM7/1/19
to Osmand
Let me try to explain this in a different way; long-time users (Harry, et. atl.), feel free to correct me on any of this.

Erik, yes, you _can_ use the online map features for routing.  However, first please understand that the online map services are separate organizations from OsmAnd, and might not have recently-updated map data.  Some are known to not update their map data for months, or even years.  The OsmAnd developers cannot make them provide more recent updates; they are simply different companies, each with their own goals.  Why are they still offered in OsmAnd?  Because many users still want the ability, even with outdated map data.

Within OsmAnd, the base World Overview Map is exactly that--an *overview* map of the world.  It only provides the most important highways as set in the OpenStreetMap database.  It does not include most local roads and streets, such as in residential areas where people live.  Using 3rd party data along with tools provided by the OsmAnd developers, you can generate a complete world road map with complete local road details, but the effort would take a few weeks, and require dozens of gigabytes of data..

In order to get the most capability from OsmAnd, you really do need to download the offline area maps (nation/country, state, region) where you live, and want to travel through/to, and use OsmAnd's internal routing function.  You can still use the offline maps with the online routers, and get a reasonably accurate route to your destination, but the offline maps are still needed.  For myself, I have found that the offline maps and OsmAnd's internal routing engine usually generate good navigation data, often comparable to specialized routing applications such as Waze (without the live traffic information that Waze and Google have access to).  Of course, OsmAnd's route abilities are totally dependent on accurate information in the OSM map database; I've encountered several situations where OsmAnd *shouldn't* have routed me a particular way, but the fault was in OSM, not OsmAnd.  And also, in several of those cases, a comparable route from Google also sent me down bad roads, because their map database also had poor data.  Then there's this recent routing fiasco in the United States from Google:  https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/06/27/google-maps-detour-drivers-muddy-field-denver-airport/

The OsmAnd developers are often tweaking their routing engine, and so sometimes the route generated by one version of the app may differ slightly from the one generated by another version, but they are usually similar.

--jack

Erik Eti Smit

Jul 1, 2019, 4:59:59 AM7/1/19
to Osmand
Okay thanks. That's surprising - I thought the most updated map would be the one online! I wonder if my phone can hold all those map data, my space is limited, but I'll try.

Erik Eti Smit

Jul 1, 2019, 5:02:15 AM7/1/19
to Osmand
That one makes me choose between offline or 'only car', and I want to use a bike... so I'll guess I have to download after all. Don't know if my phone is up to that...

Pere Pujal i Carabantes

Jul 1, 2019, 5:10:03 AM7/1/19
to osm...@googlegroups.com
for cycle there is also brouter , I've seen people using osmand + brouter, don't know the current state...

Helmut Jarausch

Jul 1, 2019, 1:18:34 PM7/1/19
to osm...@googlegroups.com
If you can install an additional (external) SD card, OSMAnd can put its offline maps there.