Brouter ascent versus Strava ascent

Dave Shaw

Dec 15, 2021, 1:29:16 PM12/15/21
to OSM Android bikerouting
I have just compared the ascent/elevation figures between Strava and Brouter Web for a recent ride of about 114km completed in the UK (I exported a .gpx from Strava). Strava says we ascended over 1500m whereas Brouter says we gained a little over 1000m. This is a big difference. Can anyone account for this or suggest where I may have made a mistake?

Thanks

P.S. The reason I am interested is that I am trying to plan a lengthy cycle trip in Nepal using Brouter and the elevation profile is really useful to me as a "mature" cyclist.

abrensch

Dec 16, 2021, 12:03:35 PM12/16/21
to OSM Android bikerouting
BRouter uses a Filter to avoid counting "elevation-noise". Every up- and down within a 10m range is ignored.

This result is better correlated to the pain in your legs compared to the elevation reported by other tools

Volker Schmidt

Dec 17, 2021, 3:17:48 AM12/17/21
to abrensch, OSM Android bikerouting
I know that this is a problem as old as GPX tracks.
10m seems to me to be a reasonable filter for wheeled vehicles.
For (mountain) hiking it seems a bit long.
I presume this is profile-independent, correct?

Poutnik Fornntp

Dec 17, 2021, 4:03:20 AM12/17/21
to Volker Schmidt, OSM Android bikerouting
10 m is AFAIK hardcoded only for filtered ascend in output stats, otherwise it can be tweaked in profiles by buffer parameters, see the BRouter profile developer guide file, or my glossary.

Poutnik Fornntp

Dec 17, 2021, 5:16:10 AM12/17/21
to Volker Schmidt, OSM Android bikerouting
AFAIK, it is mainly targeted against altitude artefacts, that are for bicycles or hikers even more prominent.  It is easy to have a jumpy altitude profile, while the real profile is flat or steady mild slope.