Electric bicycle trailer for children

cikr...@gmail.com

May 10, 2019, 5:41:08 AM5/10/19
to OSM Android bikerouting
Hi

First of all, thank you very much for your work - brouter and Poutnik's profiles are just great.

Our situation might be a bit special since we have a bike trailer used for one (soon: two) children which is powered by a wheel hub motor, combined with "conventional" bikes. This drive likes running at around 25 km/h. We just returned from holidays in Südtirol where routes have been proposed which have been too steep for this system.

So my question is: can your profile be tweaked such that it doesn't route with slope > ~ 10-12% ?

The profile we used is based on the Tandem dry trekking profile which itself is based on v2.6 of Poutnik's Trekking profile, including some modifications:

- cycleroutes_pref 0.5 instead of 0.2
- MTB_factor 0.5 instead of 0.0
- smallpaved_factor 0.5 instead of 0.0
- hascycleway only for tracks (for better safety)
- additional path penalty of 0.5 * haulpenalty if highway=path and not isbike
- slight adjustments for not_isbike_penalty (for better safety)

With these modifications we got excellent routing in the foothills of the Alps (hilly) where we live as well as e.g. in France (Burgundy).

But in Südtirol we got routes proposed with 9.5 km, 286 m elevation gain and a max slope of ~15% for ~300 m, preferred over 12.2 km, 298 m elevation gain and max slope of ~10% (I understand why the shorter route has lower overall costs).
Is there a "workaround" in order to exclude such slopes (> 10-12%) which are unrideable with the trailer (similar to steps)? I've found that with uphillcostvalue 75, uphillcutoffvalue 3.2 the rideable route would be preferred in this very case - but is this the way to go? 50/5.0 would also work, and it would be along "with electric power, smaller slopes (<5%) don't matter" - but if we ride together, my wife takes trailer and motor while I've to pedal myself, without the 'e'... What do you recommend?

Thanks for your help (might also be helpful for others).

C. Kristol

Libor Striz

May 10, 2019, 8:19:07 AM5/10/19
to cikr...@gmail.com, OSM Android bikerouting

Hi,

As this request is rather specific to my profiles,
I suggest to follow up
at the issue page on My Github BR Profile project.

I have copied there the email request.

I will try to address is later.

Poutnik

Poutnik

Oct 16, 2019, 11:44:43 AM10/16/19
to OSM Android bikerouting

 Avoiding  too steep uphill can be achieved by

- sacrifising uphill penalty, keeping just downhill penalty,
- setting uphillcutoff to the inacceptable steepness threshold
- defining highly penalizing uphillcostfactor

As an illustration see the profile below.

It is based on the original [Fastbike-lowtraffic-tertiaries](https://raw.githubusercontent.com/poutnikl/Brouter-profiles/master/BikeProfiles/Fastbike-lowtraffic-tertiaries.brf) profile for group cycling in small paved roads in range of tertiaries to grade1 track and cycleways.

It was then modified for strong penalizing of unpaved surfaces and steep hills above 7%, as it was aimed for a disabled cyclist on a handbike.