MSVS poll

Larry Gritz

Feb 29, 2020, 2:19:01 AM2/29/20
to OSL Developers List
Moving into 2020 and the next major OSL release... are there people for whom it's important to continue supporting MSVS 2015? Or is 2017 an acceptable minimum going forward?

(To clarify: this is for the NEXT major release that the current master will eventually become. We will not remove any supported compilers or other dependencies from already-released/supported branch such as 1.10.)

--
Larry Gritz
l...@larrygritz.com

Wayne Wooten

Feb 29, 2020, 8:22:40 AM2/29/20
to osl...@googlegroups.com

We still use 2015 for RenderMan; but we can move to 2017 for future releases (and have already started evaluating doing so).

--Wayne (on the go)

> On Feb 28, 2020, at 11:19 PM, Larry Gritz <l...@larrygritz.com> wrote:
>
> Moving into 2020 and the next major OSL release... are there people for whom it's important to continue supporting MSVS 2015? Or is 2017 an acceptable minimum going forward?

Thiago Ize

Feb 29, 2020, 11:24:17 AM2/29/20
to osl...@googlegroups.com
Why the upgrade requirement? Is this to add support for a newer c++? Otherwise I think they are all compatible with each other, especially if you set the right flags.

For us we are currently on 2015, but we're in the midst of upgrading to 2019, so this is probably fine. At the very least we can probably build osl with vs2019 while the rest of our code continues to use 2015.

Larry Gritz

Feb 29, 2020, 11:38:14 AM2/29/20
to OSL Developers List
A recent change in master that looks innocuous is breaking the build on VS2015 with a syntax error, fine in newer versions (and all other compilers). We suspect that it's an edge case of a particular C++11 construct that is not supported correctly on 2015. I'm just trying to figure out how much work we should put into trying to rewrite the code so that it doesn't tickle the presumed VS2015 bug. If, by the time this needs to be a supported release, there's nobody really depending on the next release still supporting 2015, then maybe it's not worth hunting down.

-- lg

Thiago Ize

Feb 29, 2020, 12:34:17 PM2/29/20
to osl...@googlegroups.com
Ok, Arnold is for removing vs2015 support. I can't recall what the Linux requirements are, but this might mean you can also now require c++14?

Larry Gritz

Feb 29, 2020, 12:39:45 PM2/29/20
to OSL Developers List
That's another question/poll, I guess. I honestly don't know who is still depending on C++11 compatibility (or, equivalently, gcc 4.8 use). VFX Platform has said gcc6.3/C++14 since 2018, but my studio is still depending on gcc4.8/C++11 for any tools that need to work with Maya 2019, which I think is still a requirement for some shows for much of this year.