For Your Entertainment: Some of the new OSL stuff in 3ds Max 2021

Master Zap

Mar 26, 2020, 2:57:38 AM3/26/20
to OSL Developers
Some of the stuff I've been burning my midnight oil on in the last few months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDtz_lpWi4g

Key feature here for OSL; pretty much everything you are looking at is OSL, automatically transcoded to HLSL for the viewport.
These days when I develop OSL shaders, I never even bother to hit the render button, because I can see it interactively, live
in the viewport,as I code in the built-in OSL editor in max....

Enjoy. :)

/Z

Philippe LePrince

Mar 26, 2020, 5:08:15 AM3/26/20
to osl...@googlegroups.com, Philippe Leprince
Congrats ! It looks awesome.

Philippe Leprince
RenderMan Field Engineer
Pixar Animation Studios

Master Zap

Mar 27, 2020, 3:14:42 AM3/27/20
to OSL Developers
Thanks Philippe

Also brewing in "the lab" is this: Material interop using MaterialX, Standard Surface and MDL.
 (which on the 3ds max side, is all implemented using OSL):

/Z

Larry Gritz

Mar 27, 2020, 8:33:25 PM3/27/20
to OSL Developers List
Fantastic work, Zap and team! That all really looks great, the UI seems smooth and intuitive.

-- lg
--
Larry Gritz