Forthcoming BBC Radio Programme on Sci-Hub

ric...@gedye.plus.com

Jun 10, 2021, 8:26:49 AM6/10/21
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

My print edition of the Radio Times has this listing for BBC Radio 4 at 4:30 pm BST on June 14:-

The Digital Human, Series 20, Episode 4: Shadow

Aleks Krotoski explores the story of Sci Hub, the largest shadow library for scientific material in the world. Shadow libraries offer access to scientific literature that is normally sealed behind paywalls, breaking the law in doing so. Sci Hub is ten years old this year and is under fresh legal scrutiny in the UK, the US and India. Aleks assesses its impact on the Open Access Movement and looks at the future for shadow libraries.

The programme should be streamable from https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000wz2h shortly after broadcast or downloadable as a podcast from https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n7094/episodes/downloads

Richard

ric...@gedye.plus.com

Jun 14, 2021, 1:31:28 PM6/14/21
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

The programme is indeed both streamable and downloadable now at https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000wz2h where there are also a couple of paragraphs headed “STM Media Statement”. I’m inferring that this was drafted by STM after hearing an advance copy of the programme although that is not explicitly stated.

Richard

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

ric...@gedye.plus.com

Jun 14, 2021, 1:36:48 PM6/14/21
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

I notice that also at https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000wz2h there are a number of “Related Links” including to a YouTube keynote presentation by SPARC’s Heather Joseph and a Scholarly Kitchen article by Andrew Pitts.

Richard