Are there any good effects libraries that can be integrated into OSG?

mirr...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2020, 12:31:01 PM9/20/20
to OpenSceneGraph Users
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alexandre.vai...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2020, 11:43:34 AM9/21/20
to OpenSceneGraph Users
Hello Mirr..o?

You might want to describe what features you're after exactly, others will be able to get you better help.

FWIW we use sundog's SilverLining for clouds and sky.

--
Vaillancourt

mirr...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2020, 1:42:16 PM9/29/20
to OpenSceneGraph Users
  • hi~Vaillancourt  .What effects libraries are there to implement  shadow  and SSAO rendering effects for scenes?

david.h...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2020, 10:29:36 AM9/30/20
to OpenSceneGraph Users
I don't know of any good general effects libraries, basically the problem with this type of stuff it tends to be pretty specialized for your rendering pipeline, and OSG allows a lot flexibility with setting up rendering pipelines, making one size fits all solutions for something like SSAO to be tough.

I strongly suspect rolling your own solution for a lot of the effects is going to be the easier way of going.  I would look at the osgdeferred example, which is good to show you how to do multiple passes, which is key for most of these effects:

For SSAO, you want to setup a rendering pipeline like:
Forward Depth Pass->A SSAO pass ->Blur Pass ->Lighting Pass
A basic  tutorial on SSAO:

For shadows, OSG does have osg::shadows, which works......but if you have a larger scene, and have a more complicated pipeline....you are likely better off creating your own, which basically involves a depth pass from your lights perspective, then your forward lighting pass.
A basic  tutorial on shadow mapping: