Off topic - Family camping in Oregon

djstrong

May 31, 2020, 11:16:57 PM5/31/20
to Oregon Randonneurs
Hi,
With all that has been going on with Covid 19, we are looking at trying to plan a family camping trip (pretty self contained) this summer.  I have gotten to see so much of Oregon on the Oregon Randoneeurs brevets, but honestly, while the scenery was fantastic, I never stayed long enough to note the best spots for camping.
I have 3 kiddos under 8, all love camping, and mountain biking, and swimming, etc.
Would love the collective wisdom of the group on some great spots?
We live in St Helena, in Northern California.
Safe travels,
David

drowe2010

Jun 6, 2020, 4:29:11 PM6/6/20
to Oregon Randonneurs
Diamond Lake just north of Crater Lake would be great for you - it's a big beautiful lake, where you can rent canoes, fishing boats ... there's playground, a paved 11-mile bike trail around the lake. Plus,  there is good riding for you up into the Park or north along the Umqua River down the mountain toward Toketee Falls.

David R

Andrew P. Black

Jun 6, 2020, 7:26:07 PM6/6/20
to Oregon Randonneurs, Andrew P. Black
I second David’s suggestion of Diamond Lake; I’ve camped there only with CycleOregon, but it’s a wonderful spot.

I’ve also Cycle-camped at the big state park campsites along the coast, such as the one at South Beach in Newport, and the Jesse Honyman Park in Florence.   I was really impressed by how well kept they were, and how attractive, given their popularity.  They may not be the best places in a pandemic era, though — and right now they are closed to camping.

Silver Falls state park is also beautiful; you may have ridden there on a Brevet.  It’s developed, with a concession serving food and drinks, but has beautiful scenery and hikes.

At the other end of the spectrum, I’ve camped at a forest service campground near Oakridge.  Just the other end of the spectrum in terms of facilities — water from a hand pump, vault toilets, and a (very cold) river to wash in!  This would be a better place to avoid crowds, and there is good riding in the Oakridge area, as you probably know.

All closed right now, but Oregon is slowly opening, outside of Portland.

Andrew Black