[Newbie Question][Web Development] Where should I extract OrientDB ?

Just Peter

Mar 13, 2020, 9:21:15 PM3/13/20
to OrientDB
Hi !

I am a regular MySQL user and for a new project I'd like to try OrientDB !
I already had the opportunity to test it, so I already know the basics of how it works (thanks to the course on udemy - a little outdated but still relevant).

Unlike MySQL, I haven't figured out how to create a database in a specific location on my hard drive. Whenever I create a database, OrientDB places it in the ORIENTDB_HOME/databases folder.
I do not know if it is possible, I imagine so, but I did not find a well-defined guide to carry out this operation.

I plan to use OrientDB on my website, should I then extract OrientDB to the root folder of my site?
And what about deployment?

The last question may be specific to the host we are using, so I don't know if an answer can be given. If someone could at least answer the first it would suit me a lot!

Thanks

Luigi Dell'Aquila

Mar 16, 2020, 4:28:43 AM3/16/20
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

I'm afraid there is no way to decide the path per single DB, the configuration is at server level, so you can change the place when you put all the databases (a symbolic link is enough on Linux), but it's all or nothing.
All this applies to the stand-alone installation of course. If the application uses OrientDB in embedded mode, each DB can easily be stored in a different path (you just create different OrientDB instances with different paths).

Thanks

Luigi