Sniffed CAN Messages

Shawn Niedetzki

Nov 1, 2013, 11:19:39 PM11/1/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

I wanted to share some information I have found with the community. I started working with the CAN bus on my 2013 Mustang GT about a month before finding the OpenXC project. I was originally using a MCP2515 from Microchip paired with an Atmega 2560 with custom firmware to sniff the MSCAN bus on my car and dump it to an RS232 port.

From searching the internet I have run across a few CAN message IDs and their corresponding data. I thought I'd share it with the community and get any input of any other messages anyone else has come across.

Thanks to a member of a Ford Focus Forums for most of the radio buttons.

HVAC I have added to the bottom of the spreadsheet.

Please if you have anymore codes, share.

дмитрий власов

Dec 5, 2013, 4:01:51 PM12/5/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Shawn,

I'm also working with mustang's can messages (mustang v6 2013). So I try to find out which messages responsible for controls media system, windows and door locks.
Your spreadsheet helped me how to control HVAC (thanks for that :)). But messages you described to control media system don't work for my car. I also tested them on 2013 ford focus. Same result. Do you have any updates for your spreadsheet?

Shawn Niedetzki

Jan 11, 2014, 5:38:15 PM1/11/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hey, sorry for late reply, don't know if this will help anyone else.

What type of media system do you have? Do you have navigation?
I have a standard shaker system. No navigation.

дмитрий власов

Jan 15, 2014, 7:21:12 PM1/15/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
It's ok :)
It was my mistake, ids which i've got are correct. I thought that steering wheel buttons have the same ids as front panel's buttons.

Shawn Niedetzki

Jan 16, 2014, 2:00:02 AM1/16/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Glad it worked out.

Did you say you found the id's for the steering wheel controls?
If so, would you post them?

I found, while searching the net a few more id's for other things, not on a Mustang, but similar years, haven't tested them yet.
Few things I found were, the keyless entry, door ajar, and hazards. I'm going to incorporate them into my spreadsheet.

Thanks

Shawn A. Niedetzki
Cell: 440-781-8420 ~  Home: 512-582-2646

дмитрий власов

Jan 17, 2014, 5:37:07 PM1/17/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
No, I haven't found them yet, but I don't think that this buttons are very necessary (at least in my case :) ).
Also I've looked through mustang's wiring diagrams, and it looks like it'll be very difficult to find appropriate ids, because steering wheel buttons (they are just a resistance matrix) are connected directly to Audio Module Control, not to Can-bus.

Also I've found messages which contains main display's data, at least radio station names and etc.

Shawn Niedetzki

Jan 17, 2014, 5:43:48 PM1/17/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, that stinks that they are not on he can bus.

I've been thinking about slowly removing a module at a time from the car and bench-testing them to make it easier to decipher what IDs belong to which actions.

It's very hard to sniff with all the message flying around the can bus.

Awesome about the main display!
Do you know if the compass and temperature parts are fed through the can bus as well to the display, or are they directly connected to the compass and temperature module?
Would love to be able to remove the stock display and replicate those features inside my Android app.

One ID I am looking for is the ignition switch, feel that's pretty necessary to any project.

Thanks

дмитрий власов

Jan 17, 2014, 7:48:36 PM1/17/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I think, that al least temp data sends by canbus, because in mustangs with climate control this data uses to control em... climate control ( :) )
And I'm sure that I've saw clock data within cabus messages, so temp data should be there.

I've tried sniff messages from removed front panel...... and there is one issue..... panel's controller waits some "special message" from "some special" module to switch itself on.
I know only one way to avoid this, use 2 canbus controllers, one connect to car's bus other one to removed module e.g. build some kind of network router.

About ignition, you can choose any of message which appear in your log when you switch ignition on, even if it only switch main cluster illumination on :)

Shawn Niedetzki

Jan 17, 2014, 10:51:32 PM1/17/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I have a second front panel I bought of ebay for bench testing, it is true it waits for another signal to start sending signals, I believe it is waiting for the key signal that the ignition is in Accessory or On.

But, if you press the radio power button, it will send signals for 1-2 minutes before it shuts off. You just press, the power again after that. That's how I sniffed the heater controls.

Actually before I found the OpenXC module, I had a development board paired to an Arduino to do the sniffing, I had to write custom firmware and mess with the circuitry a bit and it isn't perfect, but does a great job of bench-testing and interacting with the OpenXC module.

I actually use it still to dump raw data over the UART port on the Arduino. You can connect two alligator clips to pings 3 & 11 on the OpenXC OBD2 connector to have them interact.

Shawn Niedetzki

Jan 17, 2014, 10:56:06 PM1/17/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Also, there are actually 3 IDs on the front panel. The two in the spreadsheet, the radio and the heater. But there is a third one. I don't believe it is a full 8 bytes either.

I could not find any logical pattern of what the values were doing. They were randomly switching. At first it appeared linked to the heater controls, like when I would turn the dials down the value would go to 0x0, but that turned out not to be true either.

I'm wondering if the third might be a request to the lighting system to ask whether the backlighting should be on, because the panel acts sort of goofy not connected to bus as far as the back lighting goes. But it is not a request packet, so they may be using a sort of "query-->broadcast-response" approach, if it even has anything to do with the lighting.

дмитрий власов

Jan 18, 2014, 3:32:33 AM1/18/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
))))))))))))
I use the same same board (mcp2515 & mcp2551) from sparkfun, and also I've bought second one panel on ebay, but from mustang with navigation and climate control.
So I'll try to implement climate (only one-zone) and navigation system (8'' lcd panel + raspberry pi).

Сергій Крушневич

Jan 18, 2014, 4:00:04 PM1/18/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I tried to get fuel consuption from CAN bus in my Ford Fiesta 2008.

I have saved log of CAN-traffic from my car. I use homemade devise based on PIC18F25K80, MCP2551, UART-port and small display.

On this link some informations about messages ID: https://sourceforge.net/p/ecu/wiki/canbus/

Hope cooperation to expand the ID list and descriptions.

Shawn Niedetzki

Jan 21, 2014, 11:20:26 PM1/21/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Very cool!

So question about ID 430, the A/C request, that's on the HSCAN right?

May be the signal the A/C compressor to engage the clutch if so.

Thanks

Сергій Крушневич

Jan 22, 2014, 6:05:18 AM1/22/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
In my car ID 430 I have on the HSCAN-bus (500 kbps), on this bus OBDII-connector, ABS, dashboard and other. I have not any detailed information about this ID :(

Середа, 22 січня 2014 р. 06:20:26 UTC+2 користувач Shawn Niedetzki написав:

Alison Chaiken

Jan 23, 2014, 1:44:14 AM1/23/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com

 Сергій Крушневич wrote:
In my car ID 430 I have on the HSCAN-bus (500 kbps), on this bus OBDII-connector, ABS, dashboard and other. I have not any detailed information about this ID :(

You don't specify what kind of car you have, but I've had good luck with forums on mp3car.com and scantool.net.

-- Alison

Сергій Крушневич

Feb 1, 2014, 2:13:05 PM2/1/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Early I wrote: Ford Fiesta 2008 (MK6). I still reading mp3car.com, scantool.net and other. Found some additional information but no info about fuel consuption CAN ID.
Thanks.

Четвер, 23 січня 2014 р. 08:44:14 UTC+2 користувач Alison Chaiken написав:

Jesse Sanford

Sep 17, 2014, 12:42:41 AM9/17/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Can someone give me a quick step by step of how to sniff for lets say door locks or window up down button presses? What hardware would I need? What messages would I be looking for? What type of filtering would I need to do? Any tips on isolating the messages I would want? This would be done on a 2014 ford fusion energi hybrid.

Thanks!!

Nalito

Oct 22, 2018, 1:59:37 PM10/22/18
to OpenXC
I use arduino and sparkfun shield. Probably more tedious than some other methods but still gets the job done. I connect to the MS-CAN (set bus speed in script to 125k) on 2014 F-150. Use sample Can Bus read sketch and filter results. Without doing anything on vehicle other than key on, I added every ID coming through to an array variable that I then use to filter out. Once all constantly running info was filtered through, I then start playing with things like lights on etc and record the new IDs and info that are passing through.

Nalito

Oct 22, 2018, 2:04:49 PM10/22/18
to OpenXC
I discovered on 2014 F150 that my media values had to be 8B/4B instead of 88/48 on Can ID 2E0 to make media controls work. Steering wheel controls use Can ID 2DB with 84/44 byte values. 8x being the button press and 4x button release.

davidbitton

Feb 18, 2019, 1:57:58 PM2/18/19
to OpenXC
Where are the steering button messages listed? I don't see them in the OP spreadsheet. I'd like to add additional buttons elsewhere in the vehicle.
Message has been deleted

Murat Y

Jun 23, 2019, 11:39:47 AM6/23/19
to OpenXC

22 Ekim 2018 Pazartesi 21:04:49 UTC+3 tarihinde Nalito yazdı:
Hello, I have 2014 Ford Fiesta, I'm working a external bluetooth module the modul getting command from steerin wheel media control button so I need steering wheel media control can bus id. I tried 2E0 but it didnt work for Fiesta, I always get from can bus 20E but this id soo complex and always changing. So if you know the id could you help me  ?

Tristan Timmermans

Feb 10, 2020, 5:18:04 AM2/10/20
to OpenXC
Thought i'd leave this here since this page comes up a lot searching for can bus/ford combination: Fiesta's don't have CAN controls (in the Mk7/7.5 2009-2017 models). This is the same for the some Transits as they use the same steering wheel. They use a Resistor network connected to the FCDIM's ADC (that is the screen). The FCDIM then sends some messages via ICAN (Multimedia can, 500kbps) to the ACM (radio) and the Sync module (APIM).

Samet Arslan

Mar 22, 2020, 4:47:07 PM3/22/20
to OpenXC
Murat Bey merhabalar direksiyondaki kontrollerin idlerine ulaşabildiniz mi ? Odb de ki hangi pinleri dinliyorsunuz?

Mohamed A'esam

Nov 2, 2021, 6:49:17 AM11/2/21
to OpenXC
Hello
how can i send can message using the radio codes ?

can i send something like pause button with OBD2 port or i should plugin to the car radio directly ??

Have anyone decoded the RDS can messages ??

Alex M.

Aug 26, 2022, 1:27:11 PM8/26/22
to OpenXC
A few years ago I was sniffing KUGA II can bus messages related to HVAC and APA.
Was using this adapter https://www.ucdsys.ru/
It has very productive sniffing tool, e.g. it can help to monitor for unique IDs, or only which are repeated, etc...

вторник, 2 ноября 2021 г. в 13:49:17 UTC+3, mido....@gmail.com: