continuously writing to the CAN bus

Squarey H

Feb 28, 2021, 10:21:25 PM2/28/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Could you continuously write to the CAN bus with OPENXC?

For example, if  I want to use OPENXC to write to the CAN Bus to steer the car continuously?

Thanks,

Job

Eric Marsman

Mar 1, 2021, 11:31:59 AM3/1/21
to OpenXC

Squarey H

Mar 1, 2021, 6:50:16 PM3/1/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Enough writes to continuously write to the CAN buss in order to steer the car?

Thanks.

Squarey H

Mar 1, 2021, 6:53:31 PM3/1/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I’m trying to send/write steer CAN bus messages in order to autonomously steer the car.

Eric Marsman

Mar 2, 2021, 2:03:14 PM3/2/21
to OpenXC
I don't know how to answer that. CAN does not allow you to write continuously. Everything is time sliced and the bus can get saturated if too many signals are trying to be sent.

OpenXC allows you to write CAN messages. You can pick the frequency of 0.5Hz, 1Hz, 10Hz etc. I know it can read at 100Hz, but I don't know if we've tried writing at 100Hz. This all depends on how many other signals you're reading & writing with the hardware and the bus statistics.

It is also more straightforward to allow writes to come through BT assuming that is where you are doing your calculations so that is a liming factor.

I'm also not clear which vehicle you're using. There is likely a security handshake required to get access to steering.

Regards,
Eric

On Monday, March 1, 2021, Squarey H <jobhde...@gmail.com> wrote:
Enough writes to continuously write to the CAN buss in order to steer the car?

Thanks.

On Monday, March 1, 2021, Eric Marsman <emar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, OpenXC can do CAN writes.

Regards,
Eric

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 10:21:25 PM UTC-5 jobhde...@gmail.com wrote:
Hello,

Could you continuously write to the CAN bus with OPENXC?

For example, if  I want to use OPENXC to write to the CAN Bus to steer the car continuously?

Thanks,

Job

Squarey H

Mar 3, 2021, 12:46:15 AM3/3/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
thanks.

do you know of how to install a gpu computer in some car and connect a camera to this computer?