Update to Java 8

Christian Mays

Jan 6, 2020, 11:53:19 AM1/6/20
to Open Wonderland Forum
Is there a way to get openwonderland server to run on Java 8? If so what if required to run it on Java 8?

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Jan 6, 2020, 5:40:01 PM1/6/20
to openwonderland
Hello Christian,

It raise an exception at startup in Dark Star as I remeber. To solve it well it is needed to dig into the code and probably upgrade some dependencies and so on until it work.

Regards

El lun., 6 ene. 2020 17:53, Christian Mays <christi...@gmail.com> escribió:
Is there a way to get openwonderland server to run on Java 8? If so what if required to run it on Java 8?

Christian Mays

Jan 6, 2020, 6:13:16 PM1/6/20
to Open Wonderland Forum
Thanks Carlos,

Prior to my post I did some digging and upgrading until everything compiled and attempted to run. The place that I landed now are errors from the upgraded Glassfish 5.1.
Do you have any insight of the Glassfish configuration that Open Wonderland uses, so I know what needs to change for the upgrade? Below is the error that I am currently receiving:

Caused by: A MultiException has 5 exceptions.  They are:
1. java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No name was in the descriptor, but this element(class org.glassfish.hk2.runlevel.RunLevelContext has a Named annotation with value: DefaultRunLevelContext
2. java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Errors were discovered while reifying SystemDescriptor(
implementation=org.glassfish.hk2.runlevel.RunLevelContext
contracts={org.glassfish.hk2.runlevel.RunLevelContext,org.glassfish.hk2.api.Context}
scope=javax.inject.Singleton
qualifiers={}
descriptorType=CLASS
descriptorVisibility=LOCAL
metadata=
rank=0
loader=org.glassfish.hk2.bootstrap.impl.Hk2LoaderPopulatorPostProcessor$1@7b78ed6a
proxiable=null
proxyForSameScope=null
analysisName=null
id=1180
locatorId=0
identityHashCode=256522893
reified=false)
3. java.lang.IllegalStateException: While attempting to create a service for SystemDescriptor(
implementation=com.sun.enterprise.v3.server.SystemTasksImpl
contracts={com.sun.enterprise.v3.server.SystemTasksImpl,com.sun.enterprise.v3.server.SystemTasks}
scope=org.glassfish.hk2.runlevel.RunLevel
qualifiers={}
descriptorType=CLASS
descriptorVisibility=NORMAL
metadata=runLevelValue={1},runLevelMode={0}
rank=0
loader=org.glassfish.hk2.bootstrap.impl.Hk2LoaderPopulatorPostProcessor$1@7b78ed6a
proxiable=null
proxyForSameScope=null
analysisName=null
id=828
locatorId=0
identityHashCode=2066213108
reified=true) in scope org.glassfish.hk2.runlevel.RunLevel an error occured while locating the context
4. java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: While attempting to resolve the dependencies of com.sun.enterprise.v3.server.AppServerStartup errors were found
5. java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to perform operation: resolve on com.sun.enterprise.v3.server.AppServerStartup

at org.jvnet.hk2.internal.Collector.throwIfErrors(Collector.java:65)
at org.jvnet.hk2.internal.ClazzCreator.resolveAllDependencies(ClazzCreator.java:226)
at org.jvnet.hk2.internal.ClazzCreator.create(ClazzCreator.java:334)
at org.jvnet.hk2.internal.SystemDescriptor.create(SystemDescriptor.java:463)
at org.jvnet.hk2.internal.SingletonContext$1.compute(SingletonContext.java:59)
at org.jvnet.hk2.internal.SingletonContext$1.compute(SingletonContext.java:47)
at org.glassfish.hk2.utilities.cache.Cache$OriginThreadAwareFuture$1.call(Cache.java:74)
at org.glassfish.hk2.utilities.cache.Cache$OriginThreadAwareFuture.run(Cache.java:131)
at org.glassfish.hk2.utilities.cache.Cache.compute(Cache.java:176)
at org.jvnet.hk2.internal.SingletonContext.findOrCreate(SingletonContext.java:98)
at org.jvnet.hk2.internal.Utilities.createService(Utilities.java:2102)
at org.jvnet.hk2.internal.ServiceLocatorImpl.internalGetService(ServiceLocatorImpl.java:754)
at org.jvnet.hk2.internal.ServiceLocatorImpl.internalGetService(ServiceLocatorImpl.java:717)
at org.jvnet.hk2.internal.ServiceLocatorImpl.getService(ServiceLocatorImpl.java:704)
at com.sun.enterprise.module.bootstrap.Main.findStartupService(Main.java:197)
... 10 more

On Monday, January 6, 2020 at 4:40:01 PM UTC-6, Carlos Rafael Ramirez wrote:
Hello Christian,

It raise an exception at startup in Dark Star as I remeber. To solve it well it is needed to dig into the code and probably upgrade some dependencies and so on until it work.

Regards

El lun., 6 ene. 2020 17:53, Christian Mays <christi...@gmail.com> escribió:
Is there a way to get openwonderland server to run on Java 8? If so what if required to run it on Java 8?

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Jan 6, 2020, 6:21:28 PM1/6/20
to openwonderland
No but as I understand Open wonderland uses only the servlet part of the server and anything custom. So, with a regular GlassFish compatible with Java 8 it should work.

Let's wait if someone with more knowledge about it answer.

Regards

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openwonderland/3601ecd7-8abb-4c24-9378-c3ef68533d7c%40googlegroups.com.

Christian Mays

Jan 9, 2020, 12:22:25 PM1/9/20
to Open Wonderland Forum
I was able to get passed the initial descriptor issue, and now that server does not hard crash while starting up. But now I am encountering issues when the Services are starting. Let me know if you have ever encountered anything similar to the following GrizzlyService run level error or even information on how run levels are determined:

SEVERE: Exception while deploying the app [wonderland-web-runner] : Aborting, Failed to start container com.sun.enterprise.web.WebContainer
Jan 09, 2020 11:20:46 AM com.sun.enterprise.v3.server.ApplicationLifecycle startContainers
SEVERE: Cannot start container web, exception: A MultiException has 3 exceptions.  They are:
1. java.lang.IllegalStateException: Service com.sun.enterprise.v3.services.impl.GrizzlyService was started at level 9 but it has a run level of 10.  The full descriptor is SystemDescriptor(
implementation=com.sun.enterprise.v3.services.impl.GrizzlyService
contracts={com.sun.enterprise.v3.services.impl.GrizzlyService,org.glassfish.api.container.RequestDispatcher}
scope=org.glassfish.hk2.runlevel.RunLevel
qualifiers={}
descriptorType=CLASS
descriptorVisibility=NORMAL
metadata=runLevelValue={10}
rank=50
loader=org.glassfish.hk2.bootstrap.impl.Hk2LoaderPopulatorPostProcessor$1@1e411d81
proxiable=null
proxyForSameScope=null
analysisName=null
id=745
locatorId=0
identityHashCode=1929115981
reified=true)
2. java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: While attempting to resolve the dependencies of com.sun.enterprise.web.WebContainer errors were found
3. java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to perform operation: resolve on com.sun.enterprise.web.WebContainer

Christian Mays

Mar 11, 2020, 10:51:31 PM3/11/20
to Open Wonderland Forum
I was able to get passed this by replacing and removing some of the older libraries, and upgrading the project to use a later servlet version. I was able to get the server to completely run on Java 8.

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Mar 12, 2020, 1:56:10 AM3/12/20
to openwonderland
Wow man this is amazing