Google Code-In 2019

Federico Capoano

Oct 20, 2019, 12:43:28 PM10/20/19
to OpenWISP
Hi everyone,

we are applying again as a mentoring organization for the Google Code-In 2019.

This year I want to propose that our main goals should be:

- train as many students as we can, with the goal that they may become mentors in the future
- keep improving OpenWISP and fixing bugs
- improve the work done during GSoC by our GSoC students
- improve our documentation further (although in my experience it's pretty hard for new students to write good docs)

What do you think about these? Is there anything you would add or remove?

I want to put particular importance on the first point, because one of the main complaints given by our students in the past editions was the number of available mentors. If we can increase the amount of competent mentors, we will be able to train more students and multiply our impact on Open Source.

If you're interested in participating as a mentor, please fill this form:

Best
Federico

2stacks

Oct 23, 2019, 6:21:59 PM10/23/19
to OpenWISP
I submitted the mentor application.  Looking forward to helping out.

Ajay Tripathi

Oct 24, 2019, 1:20:20 AM10/24/19
to OpenWISP
Hi,

On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 10:13:28 PM UTC+5:30, Federico Capoano wrote:
- train as many students as we can, with the goal that they may become mentors in the future

This looks great.
Do you have backed-up tasks from last year? I think that'll help us build the basic tasks like "install linux".

Best,
Ajay Tripathi

Noumbissi Valere

Oct 24, 2019, 2:01:29 AM10/24/19
to OpenWISP
Hello World,
Federico I Love the points you've given especially point one.

Federico Capoano

Oct 24, 2019, 9:53:08 AM10/24/19
to OpenWISP
I did download the data, but I didn't upload it anywhere and I lost my data (laptop was stolen..). We will have to use the GCI archive: https://codein.withgoogle.com/archive/2018/organization/6193692746448896/task/

I will ask now the GCI support if I can get a CSV export of that in any way.

Federico

Marco Cappellacci

Oct 24, 2019, 1:30:38 PM10/24/19
to OpenWISP
Hi!
I agree with all your points.
I'm really busy at work but I'll do everything I can to give my support.
Thank you!

Oliver Kraitschy

Oct 24, 2019, 1:57:14 PM10/24/19
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Federico,

I agree with your points. But why not rather focus on good students
instead of trying to train many students?

I can't participate as a mentor, though. I was not happy with the effort
I could come up with (due to time constraints) the last time. So I'd
rather not participate as a mentor at all than participate with little
impact.

I'm happy if I can contribute code as part of my work and provide
assistance in the chat and on the mailing list. But in my free time, I
don't really have time currently to do productive open source stuff
because of family life.

I hope you understand that.

Greetings,
Oliver

Am 20.10.19 um 18:43 schrieb Federico Capoano:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openwisp/CAERYH6Wd4mo%2BSJe8aRD5wX%3DArY7hdLq53v6neHAeC1Kc8Fw1zA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openwisp/CAERYH6Wd4mo%2BSJe8aRD5wX%3DArY7hdLq53v6neHAeC1Kc8Fw1zA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

ankit k

Oct 24, 2019, 2:05:49 PM10/24/19
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Just filled out the mentor form. Looking forward to it. I like the idea and , of course would want to utilise my time mentoring students. Can devote around 15-20 hours per week

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openwisp/50c26238-2b3b-a4ba-184a-bb00e6e78f66%40okraits.de.

Marco Giuntini

Oct 24, 2019, 6:25:27 PM10/24/19
to open...@googlegroups.com
I found this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nNNN6Db8fS3KtijO9BJB2YHmMzU20OUBoFrXdWk055I/edit#gid=1878684612

Could be a good starting point.

--
Marco Giuntini

Skype: hispanico70420
Twitter: @Hispanico81
PGP Key ID: BD774009

Federico Capoano

Oct 24, 2019, 6:37:07 PM10/24/19
to OpenWISP
On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 2:57 PM Oliver Kraitschy <oli...@okraits.de> wrote:
Hi Federico,

I agree with your points. But why not rather focus on good students
instead of trying to train many students?

I think as an organization we should be fair, I'm not sure we can decide to prioritize some students over others, it doesn't something that would make all the students happy.
Natural selection will do its course anyway.

I can't participate as a mentor, though. I was not happy with the effort
I could come up with (due to time constraints) the last time. So I'd
rather not participate as a mentor at all than participate with little
impact.

I'm happy if I can contribute code as part of my work and provide
assistance in the chat and on the mailing list. But in my free time, I
don't really have time currently to do productive open source stuff
because of family life.

I hope you understand that.

Sure I understand that, your contribution was very helpful anyway, and I thank you very much for that.

Federico

Federico Capoano

Oct 29, 2019, 1:36:24 PM10/29/19
to OpenWISP
We've been accepted as a mentoring organization!

We have to get started working on the tasks.

Those of you who have already been selected as mentors and have ideas can start adding them in the task idea list.

For the rest who want to participate with us as mentors, please fill the mentor application form:

Thanks!
Federico

Debasish Sahoo

Oct 29, 2019, 1:43:04 PM10/29/19
to OpenWISP
I have already filled the form days ago but haven't received any mail regarding confirmation or rejection. Should I assume I am not selected as mentor?

Ajay Tripathi

Oct 29, 2019, 1:50:13 PM10/29/19
to OpenWISP
Hi

On Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 11:13:04 PM UTC+5:30, Debasish Sahoo wrote:
I have already filled the form days ago but haven't received any mail regarding confirmation or rejection. Should I assume I am not selected as mentor?

No, that email is yet to be send to mentors who have applied.
However, I suggest you to work on the openwisp modules because past contribution is a great indictor and can help your application.

Best,
Ajay Tripathi

Federico Capoano

Oct 29, 2019, 3:14:14 PM10/29/19
to OpenWISP
On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 2:43 PM Debasish Sahoo <debasish....@gmail.com> wrote:
I have already filled the form days ago but haven't received any mail regarding confirmation or rejection. Should I assume I am not selected as mentor?

Forgive me as I have expressed myself incorrectly. Is not that some mentors have been already selected, some people have already mentored with us, did well and they have been already invited as admins. This year we have a group of 5 organization admins, but no invited mentor yet.

We will select the mentors in the coming weeks.

Best regards
Federico

Debasish Sahoo

Oct 29, 2019, 11:54:25 PM10/29/19
to OpenWISP
Thank you for clarifying.

Ajay Tripathi

Nov 3, 2019, 4:55:42 AM11/3/19
to OpenWISP
Hi,

Python 2 is about to retire on Januray 2020, I think GCI is a great time to add
tasks to drop the support of python 2 everywhere, what do you guys think?

Best,
Ajay Tripathi

Ajay Tripathi

Nov 3, 2019, 5:21:56 AM11/3/19
to OpenWISP
I also remember the discussion about using Python black: https://github.com/psf/black
Looks like we can add tasks for that as well, let me know your thoughts.

Ajay

A Stanley

Nov 3, 2019, 8:18:05 AM11/3/19
to open...@googlegroups.com
+1 for black. Using it for Nornir.

Mua Rachmann

Nov 3, 2019, 1:44:29 PM11/3/19
to open...@googlegroups.com
+1

--

MUA N. LAURENT
: Software Engineer

Akwa, Douala,CM 00237 | 174 Royal Rd, Cape Town, WC 7405, SA
Phone: (237) 670-518-086

Federico Capoano

Nov 4, 2019, 10:09:04 AM11/4/19
to OpenWISP
I second the idea, we only have to keep in mind that when we discussed the idea at the beginning of 2019 we concluded we should familiarize with the tool before starting to add tasks for it, the main reason is that if we mentors don't know the tool well we will not be very useful in guiding students on implementing it in our process.

Federico

Piyush Chaudhari

Nov 4, 2019, 10:01:10 PM11/4/19
to OpenWISP
Hello OpenWISP,
Recently I have submitted the form for mentorship. I would be a great addition to the team and would love to serve as a volunteer for GCL-19 Mentor.
My GitHub profile link.
My LinkedIn profile link

Best
Piyush
Message has been deleted

Devang Sharma

Nov 5, 2019, 8:01:20 AM11/5/19
to OpenWISP
Hello OpenWISP Team,

I have just  submitted the form for mentorship.
I would be a great addition to the team and would love to serve as a volunteer for GCL-19 Mentor.

My GitHub profile link.
My LinkedIn profile link

Why am I suitable for this?

- I am a Full Stack Web Developer Nanodegree, certified from Udacity.
- Worked as a Back-end Developer (Python) at Studio Lotus from Jan to Apr 2019. (Linkedin).
- Worked as a Full stack Developer at MySmartPrice from June to Aug 2018.
- Did various Backend projects as my college projects.
- Mentored College students for different Programming Courses.

Some of My Programming Achievements Are:
  • Qualified the First Round of Google Code Jam 2019.
  • Qualified First round of Facebook Hacker Cup 2019.
  • Finalist in Deloitte Hackathon 2019 (Among Top 5 Teams from 100 Teams All Over India)
  • Rank 224 in Semifinal Round of Code Gladiators 2019.
  • Active Member on Online Coding Platforms:
  • Codechef – (1824), HackerRank- (6 Stars),Codeforces – 1410(Max Rating), HackerEarth -(1245).
Looking forward to Train as Many Students As Possible to contribute to Opensource Community.

Regards
Devang Sharma
Message has been deleted

jaideep seth

Nov 6, 2019, 11:18:09 AM11/6/19
to OpenWISP
Hi, hope you'll are doing well.
I was a Student Developer in the Google Summer of Code 2019 with INCF and am eager to apply for mentoring Google Code in 2019 projects.
Could you please point me the right way?
Thank you!

SHASHIBHUSHAN SINGH

Nov 6, 2019, 12:24:53 PM11/6/19
to OpenWISP
I have idea regarding adding task in GCI like blockchains and Machine learning. If you are looking for such project in OpenWISP we can discuss in details.

Oliver Kraitschy

Nov 7, 2019, 5:19:01 PM11/7/19
to open...@googlegroups.com
Am 25.10.19 um 00:36 schrieb Federico Capoano:

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 2:57 PM Oliver Kraitschy <oli...@okraits.de
>
> <mailto:oli...@okraits.de>> wrote:
> I agree with your points. But why not rather focus on good students
> instead of trying to train many students?
>
> I think as an organization we should be fair, I'm not sure we can decide
> to prioritize some students over others, it doesn't something that would
> make all the students happy.
> Natural selection will do its course anyway.

Well, I guess we mean the same thing :-)

> Sure I understand that, your contribution was very helpful anyway, and I
> thank you very much for that.

Thank you very much, you're very kind :-)

Greetings,
Oliver

Ajay Tripathi

Nov 8, 2019, 6:13:52 AM11/8/19
to OpenWISP
Hi,

For all the folks applying to be mentors: It is important for potential mentors
to have the knowledge of OpenWISP. Cat from Google: "People with no
existing participation in the project should not be chosen as mentors. -- Cat"
It's even in our docs: http://openwisp.io/docs/developer/google-code-in.html#how-can-i-apply-as-mentor

On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 4:07:07 AM UTC+5:30, Federico Capoano wrote:
I think as an organization we should be fair, I'm not sure we can decide to prioritize some students over others, it doesn't something that would make all the students happy.
Natural selection will do its course anyway.

In order to let Natural selection run it's course, do you think it's a good idea that we should have more tasks related to our codebase than tasks like "Install Linux", "Learn Django". I mean, I see the importance of some instances of simple tasks but if we focus on codebase related tasks I think it'll be more inviting for students we are targeting for -- students who are interested in coding and can be future mentors.

Best,
Ajay Tripathi

Oliver Kraitschy

Nov 8, 2019, 7:50:37 AM11/8/19
to open...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 08, 2019 at 03:13:51AM -0800, Ajay Tripathi wrote:

> In order to let Natural selection run it's course, do you think it's a good
> idea that we should have more tasks related to our codebase than tasks like
> "Install Linux", "Learn Django". I mean, I see the importance of some
> instances of simple tasks but if we focus on codebase related tasks I think
> it'll be more inviting for students we are targeting for -- students who
> are interested in coding and can be future mentors.

Very good idea, Ajay. I second this.

Greetings,
Oliver

201851059 KISHAN RAJNIKANT DHAKAN

Nov 10, 2019, 5:50:27 AM11/10/19
to OpenWISP
Hey!
I deeply agree with the points you said, and am especially interested in guiding
Budding developers too. I am a member of the Coding Club at Indian Institute of Information Technology,
Vadodara. I have filled the mentorship form, looking forward to your response.

Regards,
Kishan Dhakan

Kavya Tripathi

Nov 10, 2019, 10:55:02 PM11/10/19
to OpenWISP
Hello. I am a student of Indian Institute of Information Technology, Vadodara. I totally agree with all the points you mentioned and they do cover all the aspects. I am interested in contributing and helping my peers grow.

Anagha Mittal

Nov 11, 2019, 6:53:22 AM11/11/19
to OpenWISP
Hi!
I would love to help everyone as a mentor and want to contribute in working towards all the points stated. As an engineer, I know about many difficulties that come across the way so wish to help as much as I can.

Adithya Anilkumar

Nov 15, 2019, 11:58:19 AM11/15/19
to OpenWISP
 Hello,
 I have submitted the mentorship form for google code-in. I would love to contribute towards openwisp.  Looking forward to helping participants and looking forward to learn a lot form this program.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Leafthanded

Dec 3, 2019, 5:46:57 AM12/3/19
to OpenWISP
Hello OpenWisp, I hope with the 2019 google code-in event I get a lot of lessons like: 1. Python code conventions 2. Javascript code conventions 3. OpenWRT related conventions
and I hope to participate with OpenWisp this year.