[GSOC 2020] OpenWISP Notifications Module

Lenya Hope

Mar 7, 2020, 3:39:23 PM3/7/20
to OpenWISP
Hello,

My name is Lenya Hope, a computer engineering student from the University of Buea. I am new to the community and I am interested in working on the OpenWISP Notifications Module project for GSoC 2020. I have read through the project idea and found it very interesting. Please for a guide on how to get started on this.

Thanks.

Federico Capoano

Mar 7, 2020, 7:47:05 PM3/7/20
to OpenWISP
Welcome Lenya,

students who have shown to have the required skills by contributing to OpenWISP have a lot more chances of being accepted.
In order to get started contributing refer to the OpenWISP Contributing Guidelines.
Once applicants have completed some basic training, they may start to work on some aspects of the project they are interested in applying: all projects listed this year are improvements of existing modules so it is already possible to start working and complete some of the tasks listed in the project idea right now.

Please read and follow all the guidelines and get started with your training.

Best regards
Federico

Message has been deleted

Lenya Hope

Mar 13, 2020, 5:19:41 AM3/13/20
to OpenWISP
Hello Federico

I have read the contributing guideline and done some basic training. I am currently working on some open issues but will like to start working on some aspects of the project as you earlier said.
I have read the project requirements, setup openwisp-monitoring on my local machine but i don't exactly know how to use the currently implemented notification module. Is there a documentation or guide which I can use?
For example, how to create a notification for a user, how to disable/enable notifications as stated in the project requirements,

Also, I will like to know if there is any module or app using the current implementation of the notification module.

Thanks.

Federico Capoano

Mar 13, 2020, 10:52:47 AM3/13/20
to OpenWISP
On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 4:19 AM Lenya Hope <lehon...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Federico

I have read the contributing guideline and done some basic training. I am currently working on some open issues but will like to start working on some aspects of the project as you earlier said.

I think it's still very early and you still need some more training. You basically just got started contributing to OpenWISP and don't know much about it.

This does not mean you should stop reading the code of openwisp-monitoring. Is good that you started on that side, I just suggest to keep working on some patches, especially in the modules that are related to the notifications project idea (there's a few points in which other openwisp modules have to be integrated).

I have read the project requirements, setup openwisp-monitoring on my local machine but i don't exactly know how to use the currently implemented notification module. Is there a documentation or guide which I can use?

Students working on this project, or any other project, will need to read and understand the code and then will have to write the documentation.

For example, how to create a notification for a user, how to disable/enable notifications as stated in the project requirements,

If you set up a metric and set up a threshold, use the model API to log a metric that overcomes the threshold and a notification will be generated.

To see the enabled/disabled checkbox go in the user details page.

Also, I will like to know if there is any module or app using the current implementation of the notification module.

No, it's used and embedded in the monitoring module.

The monitoring module was developed in a very short time to solve some real world problems, hence was not open sourced because its code was not ready for usage by a larger public. It's largely undocumented and full of shortcuts.
The goal of several of the GSOC projects we have is to take the code of the monitoring module, split it in two modules (monitoring and notifications), pay technical debts, improve its code and features, release and integrate it in the rest of the openwisp ecosystem.

Federico

Lenya Hope

Mar 13, 2020, 11:11:49 AM3/13/20
to OpenWISP
 Yeah, I am still contributing so as to get familiar with the code-base of the related module. There is still a lot I am learning. Thanks for the pointers, they are very helpful.