Fare calculators for the Netherlands, NYC, Seattle and the Bay Area - is anyone using them?

Leonard Ehrenfried

Jun 28, 2022, 6:27:36 AM6/28/22
to OTP Users, Opentripplanner Developers
Hi *,

As part of me implementing GTFS Fares V2 I'm also refactoring and modernizing the code of the existing fare calculators.

Some of them have quite complex rules and to migrate them would be some work. In order to not do that on calculators that nobody is using I'm wondering if there are OTP2 users for the following ones:

- NycFareServiceImpl
- SeattleFareServiceImpl
- SFBayFareServiceImpl
- DutchFareServiceImpl

If you are using them in OTP2 then please send a reply to this message. I will then put you down as the maintainer of the class and ask you to review and test the changes I make.

If I don't hear back from any users of these calculators I'm going to remove the unused ones.

All the best.
--
  Leonard Ehrenfried

Leonard Ehrenfried

Jul 15, 2022, 3:38:46 AM7/15/22
to OpenTripPlanner Users
I've opened a pull request to remove these calculators: https://github.com/opentripplanner/OpenTripPlanner/pull/4273

If you're using them then now is the chance to speak up!

Leonard Ehrenfried

Jul 15, 2022, 8:06:32 AM7/15/22
to Parth Bhatt, OTP Users
You could step up to become the maintainer of these calculators. That would mean that you are the point of contact when people have questions about the code.

What they really lack are test cases so it's really hard for me to refactor the fare modules without accidentally breaking the calculators.

Therefore I would like to ask you to contribute test cases.

If you have questions about this, you can ask here or come to the developer meetings that happen twice a week: https://github.com/opentripplanner/OpenTripPlanner/blob/dev-2.x/CONTRIBUTING.md#primary-channels-of-communication

Which version of OTP are you using? If it's version 1, do you plan to upgrade to version 2?

Best.
--
  Leonard Ehrenfried

On Fri, 15 Jul 2022, at 13:09, Parth Bhatt wrote:
Hi Leonard,

Yes, me and my team are using two of those calculators.

- NycFareServiceImpl
- SFBayFareServiceImpl

Please don't remove at this time.

Let me know what are the next steps.

Thank you
Parth

Parth Bhatt

Jul 20, 2022, 9:41:52 AM7/20/22
to Leonard Ehrenfried, OTP Users
Hi Leonard,

Sorry for the late reply. We are using OTP2.

I will check with my team if we have enough bandwidth to become the maintainer. To be honest we are a small team - it will be hard to coordinate. However, I will try my best.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank You
Parth

Leonard Ehrenfried

Jul 21, 2022, 7:44:27 AM7/21/22
to Parth Bhatt, OTP Users
I would indeed be great to have someone looking after these even if it just means checking every now and again that they still work.

Otherwise it's difficult for the regular contributors to justify the continuous refactoring that comes with having these inside the upstream code base. (On a side note, there is nothing preventing you from keeping them in your fork.)

Look forward to hear from you and your team.
--
  Leonard Ehrenfried

Leonard Ehrenfried

Jul 29, 2022, 12:00:02 PM7/29/22
to OTP Users
Just replying to the list with what Sven wrote to me personally.

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022, at 17:47, Sven Boor wrote:
Hi Leonard,

In the case of the Netherlands it's fine to remove it for us. We use a separate application that calculate the fare afterwards. If I remember correctly that the current implementation does slow the performance of otp2 significantly down and returned sometimes incorrect results.

Best regards,

Sven

Op vr 15 jul. 2022 09:38 schreef Leonard Ehrenfried <ma...@leonard.io>:
I've opened a pull request to remove these calculators: https://github.com/opentripplanner/OpenTripPlanner/pull/4273

If you're using them then now is the chance to speak up!

Leonard Ehrenfried

Dec 1, 2022, 9:33:02 AM12/1/22
to OTP Users, Parth Bhatt
Phartt, have you been able to find out if your team uses the NYC and Bay Area fare calculators?

I keep stumbling over them and would like to know if we could find a maintainer for them.

Best.

--
  Leonard Ehrenfried

Parth Bhatt

Dec 1, 2022, 9:41:43 AM12/1/22
to Leonard Ehrenfried, OTP Users
Hi Leonard,

Yes, the team uses the Bay Area fare calculators. Unfortunately, I do not think we have the bandwidth to be a maintainer at this time for at least next few months. I will let you know if things change on our end.

Thank You
Parth

Leonard Ehrenfried

Dec 1, 2022, 9:52:16 AM12/1/22