hardware requirements OTP2

Tobias Walter

May 5, 2021, 8:14:15 AM5/5/21
to OpenTripPlanner Developers

Dear OTP community,

In my company,

we currently planning to use OTP2.

We have some open questions depending on hardware requirements for some bigger GTFS and OSM data.

We expect something like

  • 3,5 GB OSM(PBF) Data
  • 1GB zipped GTFS Data (3GB unzipped)

Important would be some information about CPU, ram, disk requirements.

Is there anybody, who wants to share his experiences on hardware requirements for OTP2?

Best regards Tobias

Leonard Ehrenfried

May 5, 2021, 9:28:34 AM5/5/21
to opentripp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobias,

for our current client we have the following OTP2 stats:

- 700 MB OSM data
- 150 MB GTFS data
- elevation data

This results in a 1.4 GB graph on disk and about 8.5GB when in memory.

We are running this on a dedicated Hetzner instance with the following hardware

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1246 v3 @ 3.50GHz (pretty old)
RAM: 32GB
SSD

At night a fresh graph is being build so this puts extra strain on the machine but even then it all works quite well. Routing performance is good.

Your data set is quite a bit larger so my gut feeling is that 32GB of RAM is probably on the small side - but it might just fit. I'd probably build the graph on a separate machine, though.

Would be interested to hear your experiences when you try it out!

Best,
--
  Leonard Ehrenfried

Tobias Walter

May 11, 2021, 4:59:16 AM5/11/21
to OpenTripPlanner Developers
Hi Leonard,
thanks for sharing your experience. That information will be helpful.

Yeah, I will share our experiences if we got some experiences in our use case.

Best regards

Tobias