Thread node ping pc in LAN failed

Bo Yang

Sep 22, 2018, 9:55:47 AM9/22/18
to openthread-users
Hello, all

I am very new to Thread, I now built a border router with BeagleBone Black Wireless and nRF52840 NCP.
May anyone know how can I communicate with another PC on my home network from a Thread node.
I tried a lot, but all failed, including the "standalone_ipv6" script and configuring the gateway (or add-prefix) in wpanctl. So far, I only successfully ping the border router wpan0 with the thread mesh local address, but can never go further to another thread node.

Thanks in advance
Bo

Bo Yang

Sep 25, 2018, 6:23:45 AM9/25/18
to openthread-users
Hello, all

I finally find a way to make ping working between my host on LAN and the thread nodes.

In case of anyone who needs the solution as well, I post my configuration here:

1. add mesh local address on host1: host1$ sudo ifconfig <if> inet6 add fd11:22:db8:1::1/64
2. add mesh local address on BeagleBone: beaglebone$ sudo ifconfig <if> inet6 add fd11:22:db8:1::2/64
3 add-prefix using wpanctl: beaglebone$ sudo wpanctl
wpanctl:wpan0> add-prefix -f -a -r -o fd11:22:db8:2::
Note: this prefix MUST NOT the same as the BeagleBone and the host1 (this is where I made mistake and stuck before)
4. add a route to fd11:22:db8:2::/64 via gateway fd11:22:db8:1::2 on host1: host1$ sudo route -A inet6 add fd11:22:db8:2::/64 gw fd11:22:db8:1::2

That's it!!!!

Hope this will be helpful
Best wishes
Bo

Jonathan Hui

Sep 25, 2018, 2:16:57 PM9/25/18
to by1e11...@gmail.com, openthread-users
Glad to hear you resolved your issue. Manually setting up IPv6 routes between your host and Thread Border Router is certainly a way to enable end-to-end IPv6 communication.

--
Jonathan Hui

Bo Yang

Sep 25, 2018, 6:12:10 PM9/25/18
to openthread-users
Hi, Jonathan

Thanks for your reply, as I am really new to networking, is there any smarter way to enable the communication?

Thanks
Best wishes
Bo

Stuart Longland

Sep 25, 2018, 7:47:49 PM9/25/18
to openthre...@googlegroups.com
On 26/09/18 08:12, Bo Yang wrote:
> Hi, Jonathan
>
> Thanks for your reply, as I am really new to networking, is there any
> smarter way to enable the communication?
There's dynamic routing. I'm experimenting with OSPFv3 right now, the
Thread Border Routers Best Practices whitepaper¹ also calls out Babel².

OSPFv3 has been *quite* a learning curve, and in the end, I got it
working more by accident than by understanding, so a TO-DO item is to
re-trace my steps and put together some documentation on how to set it up.

Another TO-DO item is to have a closer look at Babel. As it happens,
Quagga³ supports both of these.

1.
https://www.threadgroup.org/Portals/0/documents/support/ThreadBorderRouterBestPractices_2530_1.pdf
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babel_(protocol)