Migrating the OpenSocial spec from Google Code for Github

Matthew Marum

Jun 7, 2013, 11:37:24 AM6/7/13
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to let folks know that we've started migrating from our old Google Code project to Github.

You can find the spec repository here.

The spec is also now hosted using Github Pages.  For example,

I've also migrated over all the old issues from the Google Code issue tracker as Github issues.

I think using Github pull requests will make change reviews and change tracking easier to manage.  Also the Github community features should make it easier for us to collaborate on the spec changes.

Let me know what you guys think.

Matt Marum
Spec Release Manager

Chris Geer

Jun 7, 2013, 12:26:21 PM6/7/13
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Matt, I've been following the spec for a while now but haven't participated yet so this is an outside view.

I like the idea of moving it to github since the google version was confusing, however, is there any way represent the various versions as tags/branches instead of folders? It would make it easier to track history of files through the lifetime and git makes it really easy to switch back and forth between them. Maybe it's not possible to recreate, but I think it would make things easier to maintain long term as the number of versions grows.

Thanks,
Chris

Matthew Marum

Jun 7, 2013, 12:42:24 PM6/7/13
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for comments Chris.

Yeah, it would be cleaner from a development perspective to use tags/branches but right now the source tree pulls double duty as the content that we host.  If we could find a way to easily host all versions of the spec within the gh-pages branch (which is used by Github Pages).  Right now the easy/lazy way is just to merge master into gh-pages and that makes sure everything is published.

I'm open to finding better ways though.  Feel free to fork it and refactor it and we can find out how well works. :)

Matt

Chris Geer

Jun 7, 2013, 12:52:56 PM6/7/13
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

I'll give it some thought. I know the foundation has access to Confluence, do you also have access to a Bamboo instance?

Chris

Matthew Marum

Jun 7, 2013, 12:59:22 PM6/7/13
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know we only have access to Confluence right now.