Reconciliation with Wikidata doesn't seem to be working

Helen Williams

Sep 29, 2021, 5:12:04 AM9/29/21
to OpenRefine
Hi all,
I'm relatively new to OpenRefine and hoping the community might be able to help.
We've been using OpenRefine to reconcile names data with Wikidata as part of a project.
Yesterday two of my team reported that having reconciled with Wikidata as usual there were no matches in the dataset.  But when we click on 'search for match' there are name matches, including the correct ones.
We are reconciling to type Q5 human, which has previously worked.
We've tried again today and are still seeing the same issue.
A temporary workaround seems to be to reconcile to no particular type.
Has anyone else encountered this, and would anyone have a solution?
I'd be really grateful for any help
Best wishes
Helen

Owen Stephens

Sep 29, 2021, 12:38:12 PM9/29/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Helen,

Can you share an example of a name that failed?

Thanks

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com
Email: ow...@ostephens.com

Helen Williams

Sep 30, 2021, 2:54:01 AM9/30/21
to OpenRefine
Thanks Owen,
Yes, of course.  In the attached screenshot from one of my colleagues you can see that Margaret Bray (who is the first name in supervisor 1 column on the right) failed.
A couple of lines down Eric Dunning hasn't identified as a potential match to https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q5386404, but has matched to some other types - even though the reconciliation had been selected to match to type Q5.

I loaded a set of names as well, to have a look at the problem my colleagues were encountering.  Similarly reconciling to Q5 I found that no names in my set reconciled, even though when I then selected 'search for match' under specific names there were options, such as
Jessica Ayers - I'd have expected https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q92467853 and https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q97745877 to be shown as potential matches (even though they aren't actually the person on our list!)
Thanks
Helen
Failed reconciliation.PNG

Owen Stephens

Sep 30, 2021, 3:23:24 AM9/30/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Helen,

This is strange - when I try reconciling the follow names:

Margaret Bray
Eric Dunning
Goran Anderson
Jessica Ayers
Victoria Boydell

With type set to Q5, those all find matches to relevant people

Can I double check that you are using https://wikidata.reconci.link/en/api when setting up the reconciliation service (the old reconciliation service url is no longer used/recommended)? Also which version of OpenRefine you are using?

Thanks

Owen

Helen Williams

Sep 30, 2021, 6:01:55 AM9/30/21
to OpenRefine
Thanks for having a look for us Owen.
I'm on version  3.4.1 [437dc4d] - I've tried with your new URL and it's working!  Thank you so much!
When we started working in OpenRefine Wikidata was already added as a reconciliation tool so we'd not had to add a URL ourselves.  That had been working fine until this week.  I searched for alternative URLs earlier this week when it stopped working, and found a couple of other alternatives, which I tried to no avail, but I didn't find this link in the various bits of documentation I looked at, so thanks for sharing it! I've now seen that it is shared here https://docs.openrefine.org/manual/wikidata
I'd picked up https://tools.wmflabs.org/openrefine-wikidata/en/api from https://docs.openrefine.org/technical-reference/reconciliation-api and https://wikidata.reconci.link/ which I now see I should have clicked on to get the full URL - thanks for helping us!
Best wishes
Helen