Who uses column groups?

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Jan 11, 2020, 8:55:04 AM1/11/20
to OpenRefine
Hi all,

I would be interested to know if anyone relies on column groups in any way?

Column groups are the orange bars created by the tree-based importers
(JSON, XML): see screenshot attached.

We are considering dropping them in version 4.0, as they seem to never
have been fully implemented.

Thanks for your feedback!
Antonin

columngroups.png

Wes Shepherd

Jan 11, 2020, 11:44:24 AM1/11/20
to openr...@googlegroups.com
We use them and it helps understand the grouping of columns and nesting of different levels with xml and json. To me the visualization of the data hierarchy is pretty key.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 11, 2020, at 7:55 AM, Antonin Delpeuch (lists) <li...@antonin.delpeuch.eu> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> <columngroups.png>

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Jan 11, 2020, 11:52:33 AM1/11/20
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I understand the visual benefit, but do your operations actually
rely on it in any way?

Antonin

Wes Shepherd

Jan 11, 2020, 1:59:20 PM1/11/20
to openr...@googlegroups.com
We haven’t.  I wouldn’t consider our usage power usage so we probably haven’t bumped up against a need like that vs. applying a single column operation.

Antoine Beaubien

Feb 1, 2020, 3:40:58 PM2/1/20
to OpenRefine
Antonin: If you would drop Column grouping, would you replace it with something else?

Regards, Antoine

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Feb 2, 2020, 2:54:45 AM2/2/20
to openr...@googlegroups.com

Eventually the plan would be to replace the entire records mode and column groups by something which can represent hierarchical structures in a more faithful way, yes.

Antonin

Owen Stephens

Feb 19, 2020, 3:55:22 AM2/19/20
to OpenRefine
I don't even know how to use the column grouping except in terms of visualising the data! What can you currently do with the column groupings?

+1 for moving to a a better way of managing hierarchical data (but I'll comment on https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/openrefine/X9O8NBC1UKQ)

Owen