Java linting improvements

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Jul 24, 2022, 4:44:17 AM7/24/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Some of you might have noticed that our Java style guidelines were not consistently enforced. I realized a few days ago that in fact, we were only enforcing linting on test files in the CI!
I have proposed a PR to fix this, which reformats most of our source files:

https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/pull/5099

This is obviously an annoying change to introduce, since it will generate merge conflicts with most pull requests which touch those files. But since most changes are indentation changes I hope those conflicts can be resolved with not too much work (running formatting on the PR branch before merging, and "git merge -Xignore-space-change").

Unless anyone suggests another way to introduce this change, I would merge this PR soon.

Thanks,

Antonin

Martin Magdinier

Jul 24, 2022, 11:13:12 AM7/24/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Antonin,

It may be a good idea to reference this thread on the impacted PR. So the PR author and reviewer know what's going on.

Tom Morris

Jul 24, 2022, 6:17:18 PM7/24/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
I'd make sure you record and save the commit IDs so that they can be ignored in the future à la https://akrabat.com/ignoring-revisions-with-git-blame/

Tom

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Jul 25, 2022, 7:56:28 AM7/25/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com

Thanks both!

Tom: that makes sense. It is a bit sad that there does not seem to be a canonical way to store this in the repository, such that it would be used directly by `git blame` on clones.

Martin: yes, I am not sure if it helpful to advertise PRs or issues on the mailing list since it splits the discussion in two places. My intention was to give this one a bit more publicity given the potential annoyance it can generate.

Antonin