Releasing 3.6.0

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Jul 1, 2022, 10:56:06 AM7/1/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

3.6-beta1 was released almost a month ago and I have not identified any
particular bug that should hold us back from turning this into a stable
release. Did I miss anything?

Unless you can think of things that should be fixed before a stable
release, I would therefore propose to release 3.6.0 soon.

Best,

Antonin

Thad Guidry

Jul 1, 2022, 11:04:55 AM7/1/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Agree, all the tests are passing and continue to get more testing coverage, so that's good!

It will be good to get 3.6 released so that we can get even more feedback. Many wait until a final release to download and try it and then report issues... I wish we could encourage more beta testing - we had used the term release candidate to help with that, but then moved back to only "beta", which is fine.
I think if we eventually improve the "upgrade" process and eventually have a nice GUI installer option and could advertise that it would not overwrite existing projects but that existing projects could be imported into the new versions' workspace, then that would make folks much more comfortable to try out beta releases.  Oh well, we'll get there someday.

ow...@ostephens.com

Jul 1, 2022, 11:12:19 AM7/1/22
to OpenRefine Development
I notice that some of the changes listed on https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/wiki/Changes-for-3.6 say that they apply from 3.6-beta3 onwards - except we haven't tagged a 3.6-beta3 release?

Should we have a beta that includes all the latest changes before we do the final release?

Owen

Thad Guidry

Jul 4, 2022, 8:03:24 PM7/4/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
I think it makes sense to tag 3.6 on this commit... aa5a10e194f445a06af55aff1b88cb49f89e2948
and release as final and then handle any remaining bugs based on release feedback into a 3.6.1 minor patch.

Unless Antonin specially wanted to tag 3.6 final release on the earlier commit... aa5a10e194f445a06af55aff1b88cb49f89e2948 ?
I assume we are still following our release process documented here: How to do an OpenRefine version release | OpenRefine
Otherwise the docs need to be updated ?

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Jul 5, 2022, 3:34:19 AM7/5/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com

Thad, we cannot tag an existing commit with a new version, because we need at least one new commit, to set the version in Maven and RefineServlet.

But we can indeed make a release candidate first, and then promote it to a full release without making any other changes than the version number.

Owen, yes I guess it would be better to add items to the changelog as "unreleased" rather than anticipating the next version number. I can try to keep this in mind next time.

So how about releasing 3.6-rc1 soon (changing the release notes to replace "3.6-beta3" by "3.6-rc1") and then turn it into a stable release if we are happy with it?

Antonin

ow...@ostephens.com

Jul 5, 2022, 4:27:40 AM7/5/22
to OpenRefine Development
I'm happy with the idea of releasing 3.6-rc1 with those latest changes followed relatively quickly by 3.6 stable if we're happy.

Do you think we need to do anything additional to alert extension developers to the jQuery update and potential impact?

Owen

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Jul 5, 2022, 6:06:39 AM7/5/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com

And thanks for the reminder to update the docs about the release process, here is the update:

https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/pull/5021

Antonin

Thad Guidry

Jul 5, 2022, 8:24:17 AM7/5/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Agree with Owen.
Thanks for updating the docs, looks good.