OpenRefine terminology and our translation approaches

Thad Guidry

Jul 5, 2021, 12:45:10 PM7/5/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi Team and Translators!

As we begin to translate pages of our documentation and ask the community for help, it might be wise for us to begin taking some decisions on a few OpenRefine custom terms that we use, but where we might not want them translated, or where they are difficult to translate, and hence might be better kept as their English spelling.  There's no right or wrong answer sometimes, but often it's just a matter of how well a particular language has a term or phrase that is identical in meaning and function as OpenRefine's term.

Example:
"Facet" is just one of those that in Chinese would often probably be left as English "Facet" and not replaced with something like 切面 or 面板 or 查看面板 as an example.  IT professionals and software users in various languages are often quite used to interposing of English terms and even colloquially using them in their English form in their native language.  When we explain "Facet" in it's own section or paragraph, like here, we then might use those Chinese words or phrases, but still reference with the English word "Facet" throughout the documentation for consistency.

If you know Chinese, it would be great to get your opinions here on this discussion issue:
https://crowdin.com/project/openrefine/discussions/2

Alternatively, you can just reply directly in this thread in whatever language you may want to express your opinion about.

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Jul 5, 2021, 12:48:25 PM7/5/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for looking into this!

It might be worth checking how this was handled in Weblate - it's always
nice if the docs can be consistent with the interface in a given language.

Antonin

On 05/07/2021 18:44, Thad Guidry wrote:
> Hi Team and Translators!
>
> As we begin to translate pages of our documentation and ask the
> community for help, it might be wise for us to begin taking some
> decisions on a few OpenRefine custom terms that we use, but where we
> might not want them translated, or where they are difficult to
> translate, and hence might be better kept as their English spelling.
> There's no right or wrong answer sometimes, but often it's just a matter
> of how well a particular language has a term or phrase that is identical
> in meaning and function as OpenRefine's term.
>
> Example:
> "Facet" is just one of those that in Chinese would often probably be
> left as English "Facet" and not replaced with something like 切面 or 面
> 板 or 查看面板 as an example.  IT professionals and software users in
> various languages are often quite used to interposing of English terms
> and even colloquially using them in their English form in their native
> language.  When we explain "Facet" in it's own section or paragraph,
> like here
> <https://crowdin.com/translate/openrefine/28/en-zhcn?filter=basic&value=18>,
> we then might use those Chinese words or phrases, but still reference
> with the English word "Facet" throughout the documentation for consistency.
>
> If you know Chinese, it would be great to get your opinions here on this
> discussion issue:
> https://crowdin.com/project/openrefine/discussions/2
> <https://crowdin.com/project/openrefine/discussions/2>
>
> Alternatively, you can just reply directly in this thread in whatever
> language you may want to express your opinion about.
>
> Thad
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/thadguidry/
> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/thadguidry/>
> https://calendly.com/thadguidry/ <https://calendly.com/thadguidry/>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAChbWaMxCYgN9SNe5c%3D52xEMEb6Ed%2Bej111DE8PJw1QjgvZvhg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAChbWaMxCYgN9SNe5c%3D52xEMEb6Ed%2Bej111DE8PJw1QjgvZvhg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Thad Guidry

Jul 5, 2021, 12:59:04 PM7/5/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Oops!  I completely forgot to mention the documentation on how we can define OpenRefine's terminology or glossary and what should or should not be translated in various languages.
You can read how to do that in Crowdin here:
It's also a part of the Editor interface when you begin to translate a page, although it's hard to see since it's an unlabeled button in the top right corner

image.png

TM or Translation Memory is also something that translators should get familiar with on the Crowdin platform:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/0faef953-a3a8-03a6-c4e1-9cd38f40dc84%40antonin.delpeuch.eu.