ReconToolkit library

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Aug 12, 2022, 7:43:55 AM8/12/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

OpenRefine's Java code to query reconciliation services is in a pretty
bad state. For a while, I have wanted to start a Java library to query
reconciliation services, which OpenRefine could depend on instead.

I started a draft here:
https://github.com/wetneb/ReconToolkit

For now it only contains the basic classes to represent objects involved
in the reconciliation API, with their JSON serialization. The HTTP layer
remains to be written.

I can also imagine that this becomes a basis to build reconciliation
services, not just reconciliation clients.

At this stage every choice I have made so far can easily be reversed, so
do not hesitate to give honest feedback. Contributions are of course
welcome (and I would be happy to host the repo elsewhere than in my
personal GitHub account.)

Writing this code from scratch is a good exercise to notice in which
ways the current API is unnatural (for instance, discrepancies of
serialization depending on the context). I am using this to feed into
the discussions about the API, in the W3C Community Group, because we
are in the process of making big changes to the API.

Also, I would very much welcome something similar in Javascript, which
could also be used in OpenRefine's frontend (for instance to query
suggest services).

Best,
Antonin

Thad Guidry

Aug 12, 2022, 9:05:01 AM8/12/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Great work thus far!
Curious, is this work funded?  Plans for maintenance longterm?

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Aug 12, 2022, 10:43:26 AM8/12/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
This not work is not explicitly in scope of any particular funded
effort, no. I see it as part of my maintainer activities on OpenRefine
(which is implicitly partly in scope for all funded activities I take
part to).

For the long term maintenance, I am hoping we reach a situation similar
to that of Wikidata-Toolkit, which benefits from contributions from
various parties who rely on it. That seems to work pretty well so far.
There is already interest from some in the W3C CG to use and contribute
to it.

Antonin