Empty folder time to time

A BOUZINAC

Aug 31, 2021, 3:09:42 PM8/31/21
to OpenRefine Development
Hello
Is there a possibility to, when Openrefine starts, propose to delete big old projects/clean old projects ? (would help improve memory) ?
Thanks
Alexis

Thad Guidry

Aug 31, 2021, 3:42:13 PM8/31/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexis,

OpenRefine does not use much RAM at all when it first starts and you see the Project screen in your browser showing the listing of previous projects and tags.
It does much more RAM once you click to open a previous project which will open it in memory and includes all previous transformations done on that project.

Many folks will load one of their large projects and just do an export on their project that has been cleaned and transformed heavily into a format (CSV, TSV, etc.) of their choosing and then Create a new Project in OpenRefine with that newly exported file.  Then they will delete the older project if not really needed for provenance.
Doing those steps would basically throw away the History of Changes you made in the original project.

Again, memory is really only used once you open a project and see the data grid.  If you open several projects in different browser tabs, those all will use memory at the same time, and will only release the memory back to your system (the Java heap) after about 1 hour (maybe it's 30 minutes now? forgot) of inactivity on that project.

A BOUZINAC

Aug 31, 2021, 3:44:49 PM8/31/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi, it appears that my OR (3.5.1.) reacts much better after having cleaned and deleted old projects.
Sincerely,
Alexis

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OpenRefine Development" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAChbWaPocZDEZ6NgkD8SXWXiROoGwAmvWD4OopQqT68ALzOo4g%40mail.gmail.com.

Thad Guidry

Aug 31, 2021, 3:52:20 PM8/31/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Alexis,

Then I don't know what would be happening there if you just started OpenRefine 3.5.1 and looking only at the Project screen (and not clicked on anything).
On my Windows 10 system, OpenRefine has a workspace I point it to with about 120 projects... at which point OpenRefine is showing it is only using about 354 megabytes as shown in my Task Manager:

image.png

A BOUZINAC

Aug 31, 2021, 4:01:30 PM8/31/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Then perhaps another idea : I noticed a very very long name of project filled with bizarre characters/bad encoded characters. Perhaps, the file directory was behaving better after having deleted it?
I have unfortunately no screenshot of that bizarre name project.

Thad Guidry

Aug 31, 2021, 4:03:06 PM8/31/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexis,
That sounds like a likely scenario that might have contributed to some memory usage overhead.