HTTP 502 Bad Gateway Error

Will T

Jul 18, 2022, 7:43:09 AM7/18/22
Good morning,

I am currently enjoying my first foray into extracting data from the HSP data feed, and will admit that I am relatively inexperienced in this arena! However, I am having a repeated and frequent issue with the above 'HTTP 502 Bad Gateway' error.

This error occurs after making a serviceMetrics call, but does not seem to occur equally or universally across all the pairs of stations I have thus far requested data for. In fact, from what I can tell, the error seems to be somewhat arbitrary. For example, I have one particular pair of stations that avoids the gateway error far more than any other. Requesting for a year's worth of journeys between these two seems to be more reliable than requesting for a day's worth of data for another pair.

Some preliminary googling I've done of this error seems to suggest this is a server-side issue, but I struggle to understand how this would result in some requests working and others not. As much as I've tried, I simply can't figure out a pattern or common cause to these errors!

I am writing my code in R and using a MacBook if this is of any relevance.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered,
Will.

Peter Hicks

Jul 18, 2022, 7:45:41 AM7/18/22
Hi Will

The HSP is in a pretty poor state, with several people reporting errors such as this.

My view is that lots of people are doing similar mass scraping of data and that the service simply can't cope with it.  I don't have any visibility on what the normal rate of transactions is, so I can't comment on whether this is accurate or not.

Have you tried emailing support?

Peter

Will T

Jul 18, 2022, 8:06:18 AM7/18/22
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your response - it is much appreciated. I haven't tried emailing support yet, so will get on that.

Best,
Will.

Will T

Jul 18, 2022, 8:53:46 AM7/18/22
Hi again Peter,

Struggling to find an email address for HSP support - would you mind linking it here?

Thanks again,
Will.

Peter Hicks

Jul 18, 2022, 8:55:10 AM7/18/22