Mica feeder with micro DC motor

pham thang

Jun 5, 2017, 8:32:27 AM6/5/17
to OpenPnP
Hi everybody

I have just designed a mica feeder with micro DC motor and it worked pretty well before.
I also have no idea about life time of this motor. Pls help to advise.
Here is some detail picture:

Thang

Jason von Nieda

Jun 5, 2017, 10:18:22 AM6/5/17
to OpenPnP
These are the same motors I am using in my design, but I have not done any lifetime testing yet. I hope they work well for you.

Jason

pham thang

Jun 6, 2017, 7:03:43 AM6/6/17
to OpenPnP
Hi Jason

Thank you. Here below is the video describe how it work.
Thang

Vào 21:18:22 UTC+7 Thứ Hai, ngày 05 tháng 6 năm 2017, Jason von Nieda đã viết:

Jason von Nieda

Jun 6, 2017, 9:27:22 AM6/6/17
to OpenPnP
Looks really nice! I didn't realize at first that you were using a pushing arm setup. I like how you've actuated it, that is very clever!

Jason

Daniel Dumitru

Jun 6, 2017, 1:28:58 PM6/6/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I like it that is lasercut. I dont like that little motor...

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/8a33c6fb-4b8a-48ed-a7a9-b0255bebf108%40googlegroups.com.

Lisandro B

Jun 7, 2017, 8:10:14 AM6/7/17
to OpenPnP
Nice!

John Reichard

Jun 9, 2017, 12:36:58 PM6/9/17
to OpenPnP
NICE Job! try solenoids they have a set stroke length which is predictable rather than an open loop dc motor

pham thang

Jun 23, 2017, 12:55:58 AM6/23/17
to OpenPnP
Just want to have conclusion for this topic.
Here is final design base on Fuji feeder,
Thank you
Thang

Vào 23:36:58 UTC+7 Thứ Sáu, ngày 09 tháng 6 năm 2017, John Reichard đã viết:

Thomas Langås

Jun 23, 2017, 1:38:38 AM6/23/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Nice!

Are you going to release the design for others to build, or are you going to sell it?

Henner Zeller

Jun 23, 2017, 1:46:48 AM6/23/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On 22 June 2017 at 21:55, pham thang <phamvant...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just want to have conclusion for this topic.
Here is final design base on Fuji feeder,
Thank you

Cool, is the design on github somewhere ?

-h

On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 8:32:27 AM UTC-4, pham thang wrote:
Hi everybody

I have just designed a mica feeder with micro DC motor and it worked pretty well before.
I also have no idea about life time of this motor. Pls help to advise.
Here is some detail picture:

Thang

Daniel Dumitru

Jun 23, 2017, 2:30:14 AM6/23/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Nice !
I see that you have also a head "push" feeder similar to Alex's feeder..
Could you please post some details about this too ?

Will you make construction plans available ?

BR,
Daniel

SMdude

Jun 23, 2017, 3:59:07 AM6/23/17
to OpenPnP
I'll take 50 of them, thanks!! :D

Looks neat, keep us posted..

pham thang

Jun 23, 2017, 7:55:30 AM6/23/17
to OpenPnP
Thomast

The structure of Mica feeder very simple. You can do it yourself. I will show you some detail as below.

You also can see how it work as video:

Daniel

The push feeder, I no longer develop it
 and very sorry, i already deleted the sketch. It work based on Alex's feeder. I just add on one gear for tape peeling.

SMdue

I am very glad to hear it. Good luck

Thank you  for watching

Thang

Vào 14:59:07 UTC+7 Thứ Sáu, ngày 23 tháng 6 năm 2017, SMdude đã viết:

pham thang

Jul 1, 2017, 1:44:56 AM7/1/17
to OpenPnP

Jason von Nieda

Jul 1, 2017, 9:58:24 AM7/1/17
to OpenPnP
Wow! Nice work! That looks really good!

John Reichard

Jul 1, 2017, 2:16:12 PM7/1/17
to OpenPnP
Great Job Dude! Looks AMAZING! Would you be willing to share your PNP head and z axis design?

pham thang

Jul 1, 2017, 9:38:03 PM7/1/17
to OpenPnP
Yes, i will update to you on next monday.
Thank you
Thang

bobgee...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2017, 4:43:12 AM7/2/17
to OpenPnP
Amazing job Pham, your machine is soooooo fast and smooth!

I am totally jealous, and gonna have to up my game I think!

Are your designs for this feeder open?

Can't wait to get my hands on one!

bobgee...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2017, 4:57:13 AM7/2/17
to OpenPnP

Also, just wanted to ask, where are you Pham?

pham thang

Jul 2, 2017, 6:10:11 AM7/2/17
to OpenPnP
Bobge
- I use AC servo 100w for my machine, it can obstain a high speed( 3000RPM as per manual) and i think currently my motor only 50% of performance due to hardware (belt) is not respond with high speed.
- For the feeder, if you are interesting with my design, i am willing to share this
- My name is Thang and come from Viet Nam

Thank you
Thang

Jason von Nieda

Jul 2, 2017, 9:01:46 AM7/2/17
to OpenPnP
Hi Thang,

I would be very interested in seeing the full design if you are willing to publish it. I think many other people would too! Do you have a CAD model and a bill of materials you are willing to share?

Thanks,
Jason

pham thang

Jul 2, 2017, 9:36:04 AM7/2/17
to OpenPnP
Hi Jason
Your concern makes me feel happy. I also want to contribute something
I will prepare it to share on next week, maybe on Wednesday.

Thanks
Thang

bobgee...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2017, 9:44:12 AM7/2/17
to OpenPnP

Thang,

Thanks for offering to share, great job!

Michael Anton

Jul 2, 2017, 11:45:57 PM7/2/17
to OpenPnP
The motors you used are only 100W?  I might be in trouble then, as I bought 400W motors for my machine.  It's starting to sound like they might be much too large...

Mike

pham thang

Jul 3, 2017, 1:37:55 AM7/3/17
to OpenPnP
As per video, i used 100w motor for x and y axis.
i am also considering a bout 200w for y axis. I think it is better.
Regarding 400w motors, it maybe use for heavy hảdware

Thang

pham thang

Jul 3, 2017, 6:56:58 PM7/3/17
to OpenPnP
John

Attach with my PNP head drawing for you refer

Thanks
Thang

Vào 12:37:55 UTC+7 Thứ Hai, ngày 03 tháng 7 năm 2017, pham thang đã viết:
Head.PDF
Head.rar

Daniel Dumitru

Jul 4, 2017, 2:35:35 AM7/4/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
THank you Pham,

I have imported head project in Fusion360 on common area and I have invited you as well.

Could you please share the feeder design as well ?
Also a source for motors and warm gears would be very helpful.

Thank you,
Daniel

dzach

Jul 4, 2017, 5:58:09 AM7/4/17
to OpenPnP
@pham thang
Thank you for posting your design, however the files are in $4000+ SolidWorks proprietary format and cannot be opened by any of the open source CAD programs.
3D PDF files seem also to be an Adobe only thing, which is also a proprietary program and, to make things worse, does not any more support Linux.

@Daniel, thank you for importing the design to Fusion360, but that also requires registration just to view the files.

So, it seems, there is no way for someone using open source tools to open this design. This is sad, considering OpenPnP is an open source application.

Please, could someone who can open these files export them in STEP or STL format so they can be viewed by open source software?

Thanks!

Paul Jones

Jul 4, 2017, 6:30:28 AM7/4/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Fusion360 is free, you just have to register.

Unfortunately there are no open source parametric CAD programs good enough for this sort of thing yet. (Yes I looked!)

Paul.

Cristian Nicola

Jul 4, 2017, 6:58:35 AM7/4/17
to OpenPnP
Do you want all of them or any file in particular? i can try to do all of them but it will take me a while...

pham thang

Jul 4, 2017, 6:59:32 AM7/4/17
to OpenPnP
OK

Again, i have just converted to step format

Thang

Vào 17:30:28 UTC+7 Thứ Ba, ngày 04 tháng 7 năm 2017, Paul Jones đã viết:
Head.STEP

pham thang

Jul 4, 2017, 7:00:34 AM7/4/17
to OpenPnP
FYI

Vào 17:59:32 UTC+7 Thứ Ba, ngày 04 tháng 7 năm 2017, pham thang đã viết:
Head.rar

dzach

Jul 4, 2017, 7:19:06 AM7/4/17
to OpenPnP
@pham thang

That was a quick response
!
Thank you very much!

Graeme Bridge

Jul 4, 2017, 7:26:28 AM7/4/17
to OpenPnP
I have approved the request for Pham on the fusion360 group

dzach

Jul 4, 2017, 7:33:52 AM7/4/17
to OpenPnP
@Pauld Jones, there are tools to do parametric design, but they are not so advanced or user friendly, that's true. It's hard to expect users to learn a programming language, e.g. Constructive Solid Geometry (aka CSG), as used OpenScad, just to be able to design a simple fixture, not to mention more complex assemblies. Can't have it all.

Thank you @Cristian, @pham thang's STEP is good enoug for studying the design.

dzach

Jul 4, 2017, 7:35:13 AM7/4/17
to OpenPnP
Sorry for the mistype @Paul Jones !

oliver jackson

Jul 4, 2017, 7:51:32 AM7/4/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thang. Really excited about this design, I've been trying to decide on what feeder system I want to use before I started building my machine. Getting enough commercial feeders was going to cost a lot more than I have available. Your feeder looks like it would solve my feeder problems as I can build them myself.

I have a laser cutter, but I've not cut mica before. Did you do the cutting in house? Did you use a branded product like cogemicanite, or just normal mica sheet like you would find in a microwave? I'd like to try making this as soon as possible so I'm trying to order the materials now

pham thang

Jul 5, 2017, 1:41:36 AM7/5/17
to OpenPnP
Oliver
I just use nomal mica for cutting in workshop.
i think it is plastic material.

Thang

pham thang

Jul 5, 2017, 6:42:37 AM7/5/17
to OpenPnP

Hello every body

I am done for the mechanical Drawing and BOM

Thank you

Vào 12:41:36 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 05 tháng 7 năm 2017, pham thang đã viết:
Mica feeder Manual.pdf
Mica feeder.PDF
Mica feeder.STEP

Daniel Dumitru

Jul 5, 2017, 6:46:16 AM7/5/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
HEllo Pham,
Thank you for sharing.
Could you please share the solid works files as well so I could import them on Fusion360 ?
Also please give us a source from where did you bought motors and gears.

Thank you,
DAniel

pham thang

Jul 5, 2017, 6:58:02 AM7/5/17
to OpenPnP
OK,
FYI
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2VOkiwTNvtwU1BnZ0NrZkRKTU0

Vào 17:46:16 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 05 tháng 7 năm 2017, Daniel đã viết:

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 1:42 PM, pham thang <phamvant...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello every body

I am done for the mechanical Drawing and BOM

Thank you

Vào 12:41:36 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 05 tháng 7 năm 2017, pham thang đã viết:
Oliver
I just use nomal mica for cutting in workshop.
i think it is plastic material.

Thang

dzach

Jul 5, 2017, 7:13:34 AM7/5/17
to OpenPnP
@pham thang

This is a very interesting design!
Would it be possible to include the STEP files in the archive, as you did with the head design?

Thank you very much!

Daniel Dumitru

Jul 5, 2017, 7:19:00 AM7/5/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
@dzach   - Step file has been already provided. see 2 messages before

Paul Jones

Jul 5, 2017, 7:54:07 AM7/5/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Fantastic work! Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to build one.

Jul 5, 2017, 7:57:17 AM7/5/17
to OpenPnP
Thank you @Daniel
The problem with the single files is that they are almost ready for 3D printing, or can be made ready with one rotation, while with the assembled model one needs to separate the idividual parts and rotate them one by one. But it can be done.

pham thang

Jul 5, 2017, 8:16:41 AM7/5/17
to OpenPnP
Daniel

Regarding worm gear source, i am trying to find from Alibaba web but almost too expensive.
If anyone can't find the supplier, i can support to ship from my local supplier.

Thank you

Vào 18:57:17 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 05 tháng 7 năm 2017, dzach đã viết:

Jason von Nieda

Jul 5, 2017, 9:40:14 AM7/5/17
to OpenPnP
Hi Thang,

Thank you for sharing your feeder design! Would you mind if I created a Github repository for the files so that people can find them easier? With your permission, I would create a repo, upload the files and then place a link on http://openpnp.org/hardware with attribution to you. Of course, if you would prefer to do this yourself that would be great, too!

Thanks,
Jason

pham thang

Jul 5, 2017, 9:53:44 AM7/5/17
to OpenPnP
Hi Jason

I am very glad to hear it.Of course, Pls help to create a Github repository.
I still haven't updated the Mica feeder PCBA controller, maybe end of this week.

Thanks
Thang

Vào 20:40:14 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 05 tháng 7 năm 2017, Jason von Nieda đã viết:

Jason von Nieda

Jul 5, 2017, 10:04:48 AM7/5/17
to OpenPnP
Thank you Thang,

I've created a repo here: https://github.com/openpnp/mica-feeder
And have linked it here: http://openpnp.org/hardware/

If you'd like any changes to the text or anything just let me know. And if you'd like to take over the repository at any point just send me your Github username and I will transfer ownership to you.

I would also suggest that you choose a license for the feeder so that there is no confusion over what people may or may not do with the feeder design.

Thank you,
Jason

Anthony Webb

Jul 5, 2017, 10:27:35 AM7/5/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for sharing!  I would love to see a video of the latest design in action, I am having a hard time fully understanding the roll of the microswitches and spring, as well as the routing of the peel tape.  As for electronics, I see there is a manual feed button on there, is there some sort of micro controller on the feeder that is processing signals from openpnp triggering advancement as parts are picked?  Thanks again for all your work.  Looks very promising.

-Anthony

pham thang

Jul 5, 2017, 10:51:39 AM7/5/17
to OpenPnP
Wow. Very excited to see my name and my"Mica name", Jason. I think that is enough for me.
Also thank you for you suggestion, but i think the ownership should be under you, Jason.
It supposed that it is a small gift i want to give you and everybody, who supported me to build the first machine last time

Thank you

Thang

Vào 21:27:35 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 05 tháng 7 năm 2017, Anthony Webb đã viết:

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 4:42 AM, pham thang <phamvant...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello every body

I am done for the mechanical Drawing and BOM

Thank you

Vào 12:41:36 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 05 tháng 7 năm 2017, pham thang đã viết:
Oliver
I just use nomal mica for cutting in workshop.
i think it is plastic material.

Thang

pham thang

Jul 5, 2017, 11:16:48 AM7/5/17
to OpenPnP
Anthony

That is right, there is 1 very very small PCBA controller inside and it can control 2 motors peeling and feeding,processing signal from PNP software
This is rest i still haven't updated,

Thank
Thang

Vào 21:51:39 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 05 tháng 7 năm 2017, pham thang đã viết:

Daniel Dumitru

Jul 5, 2017, 12:34:25 PM7/5/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com

pham thang

Jul 5, 2017, 1:39:18 PM7/5/17
to OpenPnP
Yes. The price is very cheap, Daniel

Vào 23:34:25 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 05 tháng 7 năm 2017, Daniel đã viết:

Jason von Nieda

Jul 5, 2017, 10:38:21 PM7/5/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
That is very kind of you Thang, thank you!

If it's okay with you, I will add a CC-BY license to the README:

This will ensure that if people use your design, you'll get some credit for it and will ensure the design remains open for everyone to use.

Thanks again for all your work and generosity. I'm very excited to build one of my own!

Jason

pham thang

Jul 5, 2017, 10:46:18 PM7/5/17
to OpenPnP
OK Jason

Thank you for your support

Thang

Vào 09:38:21 UTC+7 Thứ Năm, ngày 06 tháng 7 năm 2017, Jason von Nieda đã viết:

pham thang

Jul 9, 2017, 10:19:06 AM7/9/17
to OpenPnP
Hello everybody

I am very excited to publish the fully Mica feeder implementation and maintenance manual.
Now it is a time for you to act.

Thank you
Thang

Vào 09:46:18 UTC+7 Thứ Năm, ngày 06 tháng 7 năm 2017, pham thang đã viết:
Feeder controller.LAY].pdf
Mica feeder.pdf

oliver jackson

Jul 9, 2017, 12:19:38 PM7/9/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Thang looks great!

<Feeder controller.LAY].pdf>
<Mica feeder.pdf>

Anthony Webb

Jul 9, 2017, 4:38:09 PM7/9/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
It appears that this design pulls the tape into a mechanical endstop sensor to be able to know when to stop feeding?  Most designs I have seen will pull into a hard endstop for max repeatability. Have you noticed any issues with how (un)repeatable that these endstops can be?

Sent from my iPhone

<Feeder controller.LAY].pdf>
<Mica feeder.pdf>

pham thang

Jul 10, 2017, 8:21:04 AM7/10/17
to OpenPnP
Anthony

And today i have just finished new one, have some update also. So, Pls follow my instruction then it will be nice

Vào 03:38:09 UTC+7 Thứ Hai, ngày 10 tháng 7 năm 2017, Anthony Webb đã viết:

Jason von Nieda

Jul 10, 2017, 11:59:10 PM7/10/17
to OpenPnP
Nice work Thang! I have updated the documentation in the repo with the files you attached, and I added the license as we discussed:

Thanks,
Jason

Matt Brocklehurst

Jul 11, 2017, 3:48:40 AM7/11/17
to 'Lisandro B' via OpenPnP
Hi Thang

Thank you for sharing this design - do you have any plans to support wider tapes?

Matt.

signature.asc

pham thang

Jul 11, 2017, 8:43:20 AM7/11/17
to OpenPnP
Thank you ,Jason

Hi Matt
Of course, for the wider tapes, i just use bigger motor
and recalculate the dimension of feeding plate,etc
Will update ASAP.

Thank you

Vào 14:48:40 UTC+7 Thứ Ba, ngày 11 tháng 7 năm 2017, Matt Brocklehurst đã viết:

Александр Зендриков

Jul 12, 2017, 4:54:16 AM7/12/17
to OpenPnP
Good afternoon. I watched the video of your machine and I really liked it. Are there any open drawings of your machine?

John Reichard

John Reichard

Jul 12, 2017, 3:56:02 PM7/12/17
to OpenPnP
Can you export files as DWG for laser cutting and STL for 3d printing?

pham thang

Jul 12, 2017, 7:56:15 PM7/12/17
to OpenPnP
Unfortunately, I don't have drawing for this.
it is just aluminium profile and random assembly. I believe that you can do it yourself.
You also can refer my head design above.

Hi John

I really not understand that why you want to convert from electronic feeder to solenoid feeder with high cost and too complicated.
Any reason for this, Could you tell me more detail, then i think i can help you

Thank you
Thang

Vào 02:56:02 UTC+7 Thứ Năm, ngày 13 tháng 7 năm 2017, John Reichard đã viết:

Anthony Webb

Jul 12, 2017, 8:19:26 PM7/12/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
 Am I the only one still confused on how the mechanics of this thing works?

Sent from my iPhone

pham thang

Jul 12, 2017, 8:50:12 PM7/12/17
to OpenPnP
Anthony

Did you build a new one. You need to follow the manual, drawing then i can help you.
The first time i also like you, if i don't do it, i still don't understand how it work.
But after about 20 times with actual experiment for 4 months, now it work perfect.

Thank you
Thang

Vào 07:19:26 UTC+7 Thứ Năm, ngày 13 tháng 7 năm 2017, Anthony Webb đã viết:

Malte R.

Jul 13, 2017, 8:13:57 AM7/13/17
to OpenPnP
Hello,

first of all, Thang thank you very much. Your "mica feeder" seems to be a simplistic, yet effective design.

I think I speak for many people here when I say it is greatly appreciated that you are sharing your work with us.

I am considering to build a few of these, while also keeping an eye on Veenie's feeder here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/openpnp/x4QgpxxLVCg

In an attempt to make sourcing the parts to build Thang's feeder easier for me and others, I recreated the BOM as a spreadsheet in GDrive:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bp4DEGDgrGOsBDsnhwBgeDr_4uRYT7sV1mhN1MTc7rU/edit?usp=sharing

I basically took Thang's BOM and included any technical details I could derive from the STEP CAD model and documentation; for example the thickness of acrcylic ("mica") sheets used, dimensions of parts, etc.

Anyone can access the spreadsheet using above link and also add comments via comment function. I am happy to incorporate suggestions and remarks.

Thang, I am a bit stuck on a few parts (marked yellow in above sheet):

- Could you either provide the exact dimensions of the gears or; even better; provide a link to where you sourced the parts from?

- Same goes for the springs; what is the required tension / force? Where to buy those?

Could you provide the required information?

Thanks and best rergards
Malte

pham thang

Jul 13, 2017, 12:21:38 PM7/13/17
to OpenPnP

Александр Зендриков

Jul 18, 2017, 2:44:56 AM7/18/17
to OpenPnP
Good afternoon. Do you have detailed instructions on how to connect this feeder to OpenPNP? How does the connection to the PC and setting up the software? Thank you.

pham thang

Jul 18, 2017, 9:02:24 AM7/18/17
to OpenPnP
Anek

Maybe this is what you want

You should refer the wiki also

Thanks
Thang

Vào 13:44:56 UTC+7 Thứ Ba, ngày 18 tháng 7 năm 2017, Александр Зендриков đã viết:

Александр Зендриков

Jul 18, 2017, 12:04:14 PM7/18/17
to OpenPnP
Thank you friend!

Александр Зендриков

Jul 18, 2017, 5:39:30 PM7/18/17
to OpenPnP
Began to understand this material. Can you give your firmware for arduino?

pham thang

Jul 18, 2017, 8:24:27 PM7/18/17
to OpenPnP
In this case, i am not author and have no permit for this,
I need permit from author first or he will post this

Thanks

Vào 04:39:30 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 19 tháng 7 năm 2017, Александр Зендриков đã viết:

Александр Зендриков

Jul 19, 2017, 3:09:25 AM7/19/17
to OpenPnP
As I understand it, the openpnp program sends an "M1", "M2" command to the Arduino. Arduino herself determines which engine to launch "M1 or M2?

Can you give a link to the project of the firmware author? Or did the author write the code specifically for you? I'm not strong at programming, and I can not write it myself. Although I need to manage just one engine.

pham thang

Jul 19, 2017, 9:18:41 AM7/19/17
to OpenPnP
I found it,
https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/GcodeDriver:-Example-Configurations#sub-driver-example

Vào 14:09:25 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 19 tháng 7 năm 2017, Александр Зендриков đã viết:

pham thang

Jul 29, 2017, 11:11:16 PM7/29/17
to OpenPnP
Hello Team

Updated new feature for Mica feeder (Auto plugging)

Thank
Thang

Vào 20:18:41 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 19 tháng 7 năm 2017, pham thang đã viết:

John Reichard

Jul 30, 2017, 1:36:37 AM7/30/17
to OpenPnP
GREAT JOB AMAZING work YOU SHOULD SELL THESE as kits!! I would TOTALY buy some!

Friedrich Mäckle

Jul 30, 2017, 10:43:22 AM7/30/17
to OpenPnP
yeah, I think those are really great and it is a wonderful job. I am also thinking about building some of those. The only thing which holds me back right now is the unclear sourcing for some parts.

As I saw the google sheets bom I think it would be really great to have kits only consisting of the non acrylic parts (gears, motor, spring, etc) which would keep the kits at a reasonable shipping cost / complexity.

I am currently in the process of building my own machine, so I will be getting to the feeder part in maybe ~2 months. If anyone would do the sourcing I would also buy some "kits", otherwise I would propably start sourcing parts in 2 months or so.

pham thang

Jul 30, 2017, 11:25:17 AM7/30/17
to OpenPnP
Thank you for your appreciation

For the worm gear, and another parts, I have a lot and no limited. If some one can't find the sourcing ( Worm gear, spring,..etc),
Or need the full set( Feeder, Socket, feeder holder as video) for reference,  i will try to ship it.

Today i also have just collected 10 set worm gears from local supplier

Take note: I don't use this group for selling

Thanks
Thang

Vào 21:43:22 UTC+7 Chủ Nhật, ngày 30 tháng 7 năm 2017, Friedrich Mäckle đã viết:

Oz-Ron

Jul 31, 2017, 4:34:19 AM7/31/17
to OpenPnP

G’Day Thang,

Great work with the feeder development.  Mica V2 seems to be a very good improvement.  Are they USB A type plugs you have chosen for the swappable feeders?

I hope you don’t mind, but I made a schematic from your user manual information as I was having a little trouble understanding exactly how it works. (See attached)

Could you please check the PEEL motor connections.  Page 5 of your manual shows it connected directly to ground, but that means it would run continuously with the relay off.  Should it perhaps connect to the front switch NC contact?  (The orange wire)

The PCB tracks seem to show the Opto-Coupler Collector connected to Q2 Collector and the relay coil.  If so, this means the Opto-Coupler would be switching the inrush current of the relay coil every time it is activated.  That would be well above the maximum rating.

To protect Q2 from the back EMF spike of the relay coil I would like to suggest the addition of a diode (D1) across the coil to quench it.

In summary, may I suggest delete the RED connections and add the GREEN ones.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Ron

MicaFeederSchematic.pdf

pham thang

Jul 31, 2017, 7:48:25 AM7/31/17
to OpenPnP
Great work with the feeder development.  Mica V2 seems to be a very good improvement.  Are they USB A type plugs you have chosen for the swappable feeders?

Yes, I use type of vertical leg, that is great place-saving

I hope you don’t mind, but I made a schematic from your user manual information as I was having a little trouble understanding exactly how it works. (See attached)
Could you please check the PEEL motor connections.  Page 5 of your manual shows it connected directly to ground, but that means it would run continuously with the relay off.  Should it perhaps connect to the front switch NC contact?  (The orange wire)

You are correct, there is some mistake from me with the first manual, but i already mentioned it in recent email, (see attached)

The PCB tracks seem to show the Opto-Coupler Collector connected to Q2 Collector and the relay coil.  If so, this means the Opto-Coupler would be switching the inrush current of the relay coil every time it is activated.  That would be well above the maximum rating.

To protect Q2 from the back EMF spike of the relay coil I would like to suggest the addition of a diode (D1) across the coil to quench it.

In summary, may I suggest delete the RED connections and add the GREEN ones.

In the PCB design also have diode location

Thanks

Thang

Vào 15:34:19 UTC+7 Thứ Hai, ngày 31 tháng 7 năm 2017, Oz-Ron đã viết:

oliver jackson

Jul 31, 2017, 11:01:43 AM7/31/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thang, I like the new additions in v2. I've been looking for suitable gears and I've struggled a little. I can get worm rod and gear pairs but I've not yet found an AliExpress seller who gives the helix angle in the listing so I can then find a matching small gear. I'm thinking about designing them myself and 3D printing. If they come out well it would be an easy source of replacements.

Could you please tell me about your choice of gears. Did you choose their sizes to get a certain ratio? Or is it just a worm rod, worm gear and smaller gear that properly mesh together?

Oliver

pham thang

Aug 1, 2017, 7:06:51 AM8/1/17
to OpenPnP
Oliver

I don't think 3d printer gear able to work, but you can try it.
It is random choice, as long as all of gears are meshed together,

Thanks
Thang

Vào 22:01:43 UTC+7 Thứ Hai, ngày 31 tháng 7 năm 2017, oliver jackson đã viết:

oliver jackson

Aug 1, 2017, 8:08:41 AM8/1/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I have had some success with printing gears before by using very small nozzles but I've never printed a worm and I think that may be where I will have the most problems. If I get anywhere with them I will let the group know

Paul Jones

Aug 3, 2017, 6:06:39 AM8/3/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com

I’ve printed a worm gear set using a 0.25mm nozzle. It worked really well. The screw part needs to be printed vertically to avoid printing artifacts.

Paul.

pham thang

Aug 8, 2017, 10:40:07 AM8/8/17
to OpenPnP
Hello everyone

Update with several mica feeders

Thanks
Thang

Vào 17:06:39 UTC+7 Thứ Năm, ngày 03 tháng 8 năm 2017, Paul Jones đã viết:

Jason von Nieda

Aug 8, 2017, 11:23:49 AM8/8/17
to OpenPnP
Looks great Thang, and impressive speed!

Jason

Lamont Cranston

Aug 11, 2017, 7:00:20 AM8/11/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Can you tell us what model number the servos you are using is?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/445718c3-90e9-43ba-bdef-3f101a2367f1%40googlegroups.com.

oliver jackson

Aug 11, 2017, 3:10:54 PM8/11/17
to OpenPnP
Theyre not servos, they are DC motors.  https://github.com/openpnp/mica-feeder/blob/master/Mica%20feeder%20Manual.pdf is the build manual which includes a parts list.  You can find these motors easily by looking for N20 motors on ebay, Ali, etc.

Malte R.

Aug 11, 2017, 5:24:50 PM8/11/17
to OpenPnP
I have started to compile a BOM including part details and sources:

In an attempt to make sourcing the parts to build Thang's feeder easier for me and others, I recreated the BOM as a spreadsheet in GDrive:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bp4DEGDgrGOsBDsnhwBgeDr_4uRYT7sV1mhN1MTc7rU/edit?usp=sharing

I basically took Thang's BOM and included any technical details I could derive from the STEP CAD model and documentation; for example the thickness of acrcylic ("mica") sheets used, dimensions of parts, etc.

Anyone can access the spreadsheet using above link and also add comments via comment function. I am happy to incorporate suggestions and remarks.

Maybe this helps. If you find a good source for or have further details on a part, add a comment or drop me a mail so I can add it to the spreadsheet.

Thanks
Malte

Anthony Webb

Aug 11, 2017, 5:39:46 PM8/11/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to get my hands on one of these and dig into it to see how it works.  Thang keeps pointing to a blurry video for an old outdated model that leaves me with more questions than answers.  Are you planning on building one @malte?  These seem like they could be very nice if a guy could actually source the parts.

Thomas Langås

Aug 11, 2017, 7:23:10 PM8/11/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
We have started building this, and we have a pretty good idea how the
whole thing works.

We are in the process of sourcing parts, and have gotten most of the
laser cut parts already.
We do think we need to make small changes because some of the parts
seems to be a bit
on the expensive side, or a bit hard to get, but I think we'll end up
with a working version that
we can change.

The 3D model is missing a string going from one of the motors and to
the feeding seesaw (I
think it is), it's visible in one of the videos showing the
see-through version (first version)
of the mica feeder.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 11:39 PM, Anthony Webb <anthon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd love to get my hands on one of these and dig into it to see how it
> works. Thang keeps pointing to a blurry video for an old outdated model
> that leaves me with more questions than answers. Are you planning on
> building one @malte? These seem like they could be very nice if a guy could
> actually source the parts.
>
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Malte R. <malte...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have started to compile a BOM including part details and sources:
>>

>>> In an attempt to make sourcing the parts to build Thang's feeder easier
>>> for me and others, I recreated the BOM as a spreadsheet in GDrive:
>>>
>>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bp4DEGDgrGOsBDsnhwBgeDr_4uRYT7sV1mhN1MTc7rU/edit?usp=sharing
>>>
>>> I basically took Thang's BOM and included any technical details I could
>>> derive from the STEP CAD model and documentation; for example the thickness
>>> of acrcylic ("mica") sheets used, dimensions of parts, etc.
>>>
>>> Anyone can access the spreadsheet using above link and also add comments
>>> via comment function. I am happy to incorporate suggestions and remarks.
>>

>> Maybe this helps. If you find a good source for or have further details on
>> a part, add a comment or drop me a mail so I can add it to the spreadsheet.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Malte
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/422a9982-945f-4b3f-b7ed-df71811ff429%40googlegroups.com.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/CALsNZy22PbRv4kL1fSN%2BkxumShA0QxgwkC1G2avdPtd8Wu84hg%40mail.gmail.com.

Thomas

Jason von Nieda

Aug 11, 2017, 8:19:24 PM8/11/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Has the information at https://github.com/openpnp/mica-feeder become out of date? I'd be happy to update it if someone can point out what needs updating.

Jason

pham thang

Aug 11, 2017, 9:35:24 PM8/11/17
to OpenPnP
There are some features need to update Jason
-Auto plug-in
-Feeder alarm
Maybe take couple day for this

Thanks
Thang

Vào 07:19:24 UTC+7 Thứ Bảy, ngày 12 tháng 8 năm 2017, Jason von Nieda đã viết:

Александр Зендриков

Aug 15, 2017, 9:54:04 AM8/15/17
to OpenPnP
Hey. Did you use an acrylic sheet? What is the thickness of the sheet? Thank you in advance.

Mike Menci

Aug 28, 2017, 11:26:00 AM8/28/17
to OpenPnP
Hello Tang,

In order to figure out worm gear pair - could you please give us information of Gear Ratio that you are using ?
Here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-5-Modulus-Brass-Gear-20-60-Tooth-Worm-3-to-6-35mm-Hole-Dia-Drive-Gearbox-/112469745569?var=&hash=item1a2fb81fa1:m:mSxwf4cQP1c_ljfoE52TtAA
Can any of this be used ?

Mike

pham thang

Sep 2, 2017, 11:04:16 AM9/2/17
to OpenPnP
Hi All

I am sorry for my late response, i still in progress to upgrade Mica feeder V2.
There is one issue need your advise

Currently, the speed of Mica feeder = 1 component / sec, i think it is too slow for an auto feeder. I also tried everything to make it faster but it isn't easy.
I have 2 solutions for this.

1. Change the feeding motor direction. It means move component ahead then go back instead of go back then move component ahead (old design)
2. After picking then system triggers there feeder instead of before picking then system triggers

Thanks
Thang
It is loading more messages.