'One Step' button

Noël

Dec 1, 2021, 6:24:46 PM12/1/21
to OpenPnP
Why does it takes several clicks on the 'One Step' button to get the machine taking the next move?

I recently build my openpnp machine and also have a Charmhigh machine with stock software. I am used to use the one step button on the Charmhigh and it acts very differently. Each click on the mouse trigger a movement of the pnp. I use that a lot on boards assembled for the first time to make sure all is right.

On the openpnp it seems to take 3 or 4 clicks (never the same) before getting the machine to move. I guess this is because each click might represent an action inside openpnp. However that would make this button something useful for a developer but not a end operator.
A bit funny to use actually. It does not feel right at all.

Maybe there is a way to change this in settings?

Jonathan Oxer

Dec 1, 2021, 6:40:33 PM12/1/21
to OpenPnP
This confused me at first too.

You're correct that the "one step" action is for an internal action in OpenPnP. It's not a "perform the next placement and then pause" button, like in the Charmhigh software.

OpenPnP's behavior is *much* more useful when debugging problems with a machine because it allows you to single-step through the process, and check logs etc to see what has happened.

Ideally it would be nice if there were 2 one-step buttons:

 * Debugging single-step, like the existing button.
 * Operational single-step, which runs through the sequence to the end of the next placement and then pauses.

I suspect it's not a very important feature though.

Jon

Noël

Dec 2, 2021, 5:53:43 AM12/2/21
to OpenPnP
Thank you for confirming that's the way I thought it was.

Well I would say this is important. This is basic functionality of pnp and that's a pain to use at the moment.

I was wondering if I would ever find something better in Charmhigh than Openpnp. I did not expect to find it so soon for something so basic.

Are we making these machines to spend our time debugging them or to actually produce parts?

I will check if a similar suggestion has been submitted on Github.

Noël

Dec 3, 2021, 2:22:55 PM12/3/21
to OpenPnP
I have opened an issue on Github for this.

I really hope we will get a fix for that.