Re: CrimeInOakland@OpenOakland

James Koval

Jul 23, 2013, 9:26:52 PM7/23/13
to a...@alumni.cmu.edu, openo...@googlegroups.com, rik belew, robert
I've missed a few hacking nights now, completely swamped with Twitter, and travel, and family. Twitter is only getting more serious and DefCon is next week. My heart is fully with Crime in Oakland but its very hard for me to physically be there. I for sure have a couple hours a week to dedicate still, usually Saturdays, but I'm not sure specifically how I can help or how much help I'll be. What's the status of crime?

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Alan Caudill <alanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
That's a sweet looking widget. I have a conflicting event on Tuesday nights so I'll probably be absent from the hack nights but I'll want to pickup some tasks early next month.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 7:33 PM, James Koval <james.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks really good! Could I make my name @jakl linked to twitter.com/@jakl ?

Also here is some UI code
gist.github.com/jakl/5811056
demo is here:

Swap out the json data example categories with the crime categories. I can do that if you want.

And drop the index.js/css/html wherever they belong in the django project structure.

((Family is visiting for a week right now - in and out of town))

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 4:39 PM, rik belew <r...@electronicartifacts.com> wrote:
hi guys,

i'm updating what it says about us on http://openoakland.org/projects/
let me know if you have edits to recommend, if you don't want your
names used, etc.

        rik

howard dyckoff

Jul 24, 2013, 7:09:19 AM7/24/13
to openo...@googlegroups.com
Hey James, looks like you are also involved in CoinBase.

I an collecting info for an article on Bit Coin for Oakland Local and am trying to get a local angle or two.  Can we talk?  Off the record if necessary?

Howard

rik belew

Jul 24, 2013, 3:38:39 PM7/24/13
to James Koval, a...@alumni.cmu.edu, robert, openo...@googlegroups.com
hi James, thanks for the note.

i've been working with OPD to get certified to see internal
database features, towards extending their public data
the status of the data is still pretty as reported here:
http://rikiwiki.electronicartifacts.com/codeforamerica_oakland/opd-crime-statistics/its-showcrime
see esp. the ToDo list at the end.

i've not done anything
integrating your category widget or other JS, cuz the main
gap i feel at the moment is getting an industrial grade
geoserver for OpenOakland uses.

i'd be up for a different (than Tue evenings) crime-hack
time if that would catch more of you. but between
Twitter and DefCon, i'll be happily surprised whenever
you re-emerge.

rik

On 7/23/13 6:26 PM, James Koval wrote:
> I've missed a few hacking nights now, completely swamped with Twitter,
> and travel, and family. Twitter is only getting more serious and DefCon
> is next week. My heart is fully with Crime in Oakland but its very hard
> for me to physically be there. I for sure have a couple hours a week to
> dedicate still, usually Saturdays, but I'm not sure specifically how I
> can help or how much help I'll be. What's the status of crime?
>

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Alan Caudill <alanc...@gmail.com
> <mailto:alanc...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> That's a sweet looking widget. I have a conflicting event on Tuesday
> nights so I'll probably be absent from the hack nights but I'll want
> to pickup some tasks early next month.
>

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 7:33 PM, James Koval
> <james.ro...@gmail.com <mailto:james.ro...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Looks really good! Could I make my name @jakl linked to
> twitter.com/@jakl <http://twitter.com/@jakl> ?
>
> Also here is some UI code
> gist.github.com/jakl/5811056 <https://gist.github.com/jakl/5811056/>
> demo is here:
> bl.ocks.org/jakl/5811056 <http://bl.ocks.org/jakl/5811056>
>
> Swap out the json data example categories with the crime
> categories. I can do that if you want.
>
> And drop the index.js/css/html wherever they belong in the
> django project structure.
>
> ((Family is visiting for a week right now - in and out of town))
>

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 4:39 PM, rik belew
> <r...@electronicartifacts.com
> <mailto:r...@electronicartifacts.com>> wrote:
>
> hi guys,
>
> i'm updating what it says about us on
> http://openoakland.org/__projects/

robert

Aug 8, 2013, 3:17:50 PM8/8/13
to James Koval, a...@alumni.cmu.edu, openo...@googlegroups.com, rik belew
This about sums it up for me too. I really want to be involved and keep up but being at the hack nights is hard with work these days.

Eddie Tejeda

Aug 12, 2013, 1:42:05 AM8/12/13
to openo...@googlegroups.com, James Koval, a...@alumni.cmu.edu, rik belew
That's understandable… I'll look forward to seeing you again when your schedules lighten up!

Eddie A. Tejeda
@eddietejeda
2012 Fellow, Code for America

rik belew

Aug 13, 2013, 8:09:53 PM8/13/13
to Spike, James Koval, a...@alumni.cmu.edu, rik belew, openo...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Tejeda
hey Spike,

absolutely. the primary need remains for a solid geoserver,
available for use over this data set but useful more generally, too.
with it we can support all the pretty mapping functionality
people like to see, AND ask much better analytic questions.

i've been building a django stack (it accomodates the JS extensions
well), geoDjango, and OpenStreetMap data. once it's set up, moving to
Tiledrawer/EC2 or similar probably where it should live long term.

who are the "new python, js ad D3 skilled devs"?

i plan to be at the meeting tonight, we can talk further there/then.

rik

On 8/13/13 4:12 PM, Spike wrote:
> Hey crime crew, would yall be able to chat soon to see what future your
> team sees for itself- there still is an unmet need out there for the app
> yall were working hard on, so I do not want to see your efforts wasted,
> but I totally understand the time demands. We do have some new python,
> js ad D3 skilled devs on board now who are really interested in this
> project- would it make sense to meetup with those cats to review the
> scope and progress to see if there is a way for other support to help
> move the app along to completion?
>
> peace
>
> Spike
> openoakland.org <http://openoakland.org>
> www.stealingbeautyphotography.com <http://www.stealingbeautyphotography.com>

Alan Caudill

Aug 13, 2013, 9:18:28 PM8/13/13
to rik belew, Spike, James Koval, rik belew, openo...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Tejeda
I probably won't be making any Tuesday night meetups for a while but I'm hoping to find a free day or two in the coming month to contribute.

How do we do task tracking on the project? Should we use github issues? I'm just thinking that I probably won't find time to solve the geoserver problem but I can help on aws provisioning or some more targeted django work.

Kyle Warneck

Aug 14, 2013, 1:55:39 PM8/14/13
to openo...@googlegroups.com, Spike, James Koval, a...@alumni.cmu.edu, rik belew, Eddie Tejeda
This may be a foolish comment from the new guy, but after poking around a bit I found a geo tagging solution called SmartyStreets which seems to do what you're looking.

They offer free access for 501(c)(3) nonprofits and "organizations that benefit the general good of society", but they say that they do not offer free access to "political campaigns, political parties, or government offices/agencies." I suppose it becomes a question of whether the City of Oakland is geo tagging data or OpenOakland is. If it fits the need, it might be worth giving them a call to find out if they'll do it..

Regards,
Kyle

Spike

Aug 14, 2013, 2:02:14 PM8/14/13
to Kyle Warneck, openo...@googlegroups.com, James Koval, a...@alumni.cmu.edu, rik belew, Eddie Tejeda
I applied for a ngo license. Will see what they offer. If they don't bit for openoakland I can apply with my day gig too.

Nice mix of the file based geocoding and api based, could be really useful- hope it's accurate ;-)

thanks Kyle!

Tony Barreca

Aug 14, 2013, 2:04:06 PM8/14/13
to openo...@googlegroups.com
Excellent news!  Let's hope it works.

Tony Barreca
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tonybarreca
Skype: tonybarreca
Twitter: tbarreca
Mobile: (510) 710-5864

rik

Aug 16, 2013, 3:26:12 PM8/16/13
to openo...@googlegroups.com, Spike, James Koval, a...@alumni.cmu.edu, rik belew, Eddie Tejeda

Kyle, i gave SmartyStreets a spin!  i was only able to do a small test (~300 addresses), but it was pretty easy to use and was able to capture a few addresses we did not have.  but, at least based on these tests, its accuracy seems pretty poor.  i wrote up a brief note on my experience over on rikiwiki . let me know if you've had more positive experiences, or have any other suggestions.

Kyle Warneck

Aug 18, 2013, 1:39:29 AM8/18/13
to openo...@googlegroups.com, Spike, James Koval, a...@alumni.cmu.edu, rik belew, Eddie Tejeda
Hi Rik,

I can't speak to the accuracy of SmartyStreets. I've never used it before.I just stumbled across it on a discussion in stackoverflow.

I'll take a look at your notes on the wiki and see if I can find something better.

Kyle