Openmod forum migration to DiscourseHosting

Robbie Morrison

Jan 8, 2021, 10:10:54 AM1/8/21
to openmod list, Ingmar Schlecht

Hello all (cc: Ingmar)

Either today or tomorrow Saturday, the openmod forum will migrate from a private host to a hosting service run by DiscourseHosting.

The existing forum is located at:

And the plan is to migrate to the new shorter URL — noting that about five people explicitly supported this change and nobody objected:

Prior to migration, the existing forum will be locked. You can identify which instance you are viewing by navigating to either:

And looking for the string "OLD SITE" or "NEW SITE".

My apologies in advance for any disruptions caused.

More details about the online services run by the openmod can be found here:

Finally, I have still not got back to those who kindly offered to help with the annual fee of €290.00, but will do so in due course. Many thanks for your support.

with best wishes, Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany

Robbie Morrison

Jan 8, 2021, 1:05:49 PM1/8/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

The openmod forum is now set to read-only.

Robbie Morrison

Jan 9, 2021, 2:21:48 AM1/9/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hello all

Forum migration status

Just an update on the migration of the openmod forum to DiscourseHosting.  The new site is now established.  But the various domain names need to be remapped and DiscourseHosting and Ingmar are working on this at the moment. I guess that should take one to several days to complete, depending on the availability of people and whether any difficulties surface.

Open licensing policy

I also took the opportunity to update the licensing consents for new account applications.  Data is now licensed under CC0‑1.0 and code under MIT.  We discussed this policy change about two years ago and everyone agreed back then.  The main group affected was the oemof project and they specifically okayed these arrangements.  Here is the revised account dialog therefore:

[consent-dialog-screenshot]

There is also a new clickable footer with this same information that runs along the bottom of each page as follows:

[footer-screenshot]

Forum staff

Forum staff divide into administrators and moderators.  Tom Brown is no longer an admin at his request.  Max Parzen (Edinburgh University) will take his place.  If anyone else would like to volunteer, please let me know because three admins would be a good number to have.

Trust levels and screening

We don't use dedicated moderators and we have never had any real moderation issues — but we did have circa 15 spam accounts before we adopted a policy of screening new registrants.  Moreover, participants now commence at trust level 2 (TL2) upon registration.  Not all legacy participants are at TL2 however, but everyone will be bumped to TL2 some time next week.  The forum community now stands at circa 650 participants.

I never worked out the motivation behind the fake accounts but there were a couple of hints.  We had three who populated their user profiles with pictures of themselves standing in front of pickup trucks in the American outback.  We had a couple who posted about commercial products like presentation software.  I guess there is a small industry these days to infiltrate online communities and then sell influence services back to companies or political actors.  Who knows?  Anyhow, all new registrants get screened these days — as some of you will have experienced.

Any further issues?

Please speak up if there are any other matters to address.  In particular, if there are posts that have not rendered properly.  The constellation of plugins is a bit different now, in part because we opted for the most basic plan also located within the European Economic Area (currently Frankfurt) for reasons of privacy protection.

And a reminder that you can identify the new host by navigating to the About page and searching for "NEW SITE" within the text.

To close, I'd like to acknowledge that Tom Brown took it upon himself to set up the original forum in January 2017, donated the internet hosting, and served as the site owner over this period  On behalf of everyone, I'd like to thank Tom for his interest and efforts in this regard.

with best wishes, Robbie

Robbie Morrison

Jan 9, 2021, 10:29:47 AM1/9/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hello all

Forum migration is complete

The migration of the openmod forum to its new host is now complete using this URL:

Please note that our old URL does not yet redirect to the new site but will do shortly:

You may start using the new forum.  Please report any issues you may encounter to me via private messaging on the forum or, as a fallback, using my posteo.de email address.

Can I add that it has been a pleasure working with Richard at DiscourseHosting. This is second forum I have set up with DiscourseHosting and I would recommend their services without hesitation. Similarly, the support from the Discourse software community at https://meta.discourse.org is also exemplary. And thanks too, of course, to the developers at Civilized Discourse Construction Kit Inc for the software.

Finally, thanks to Ingmar Schlecht for editing our DNS entries.

with best wishes, Robbie

Robbie Morrison

Jan 9, 2021, 5:37:45 PM1/9/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hello all

The URL redirect from the old to the new domain is now working.

For those who offered to contribute financially for the hosting, I'll be in touch shortly.

And if anyone want to volunteer to help admin the site, please get in contact — it's not much work but does require keeping a constant eye on things.

Robbie

Robbie Morrison

Jan 10, 2021, 4:12:51 AM1/10/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com

Hello again all

It seems that email forwarding from the new openmod forum is not currently functioning.  So please don't rely on this feature until otherwise notified.

Robbie

Robbie Morrison

Jan 11, 2021, 3:54:29 AM1/11/21
to openmod list

Hello all

Regarding the migration of the openmod forum, please note that all outstanding sysadmin issues appear to be resolved.  Email notifications are now active.  URL forwarding from the old domain is also working properly (after a regression was found and fixed).  And our new host is notably faster.

-----

The email traffic for migrating the forum ran to about 80 messages.  Most involved Richard from DiscourseHosting, so once again my thanks to Richard for his attention, patience, and rapid turn arounds.  And also my thanks to Ingmar Schlecht for undertaking the various DNS modifications from our side.

Please let me know if you strike issues.  I am rather keen to get this relocation completely nailed at the outset.  Direct message me on the forum or else email me by replying to this message.

Note too that I keep encrypted offsite backups for three months, so we can access the previous site for a short while, if needed for some reason.

Just for historical interest, the original email that Tom Brown sent on 27 January 2017 to set up the forum can be found here.

My earlier request for a third admin still stands, so please contact me if you can help out.  Mostly I am interested in having more diversity in our decision‑making because I just don't like taking significant decisions alone.

with best wishes, Robbie

Tom Brown

Jan 11, 2021, 4:40:30 AM1/11/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'd like to say a big thank you on behalf of all openmodders to Robbie
Morrison for organising the migration of the forum. This was a lot of
work, requiring patience and coordination, and I think he has indeed
nailed it at the outset. As you can see from the "historical" email four
years ago, we were not really expecting the forum to be a success. In
the meantime it has morphed into a crucial part of the openmod
infrastructure, thereby requiring more professional hosting.

Please volunteer to help Robbie as a third admin - it's not that much
work. As he points out, it would be good to diversify the group of
people running openmod infrastructure. Thus far we've got away without
much formal structure (Jonas Hörsch once called openmod a "do-ocracy",
i.e. those with enthusiasm can shape it by doing stuff) but it would be
good to spread decision making (and do polls wherever important
community decisions are required).

Best wishes,

Tom

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Institute for Automation and Applied Informatics (IAI)

Tom Brown (he/him)
Research Group Leader, Energy System Modelling

Phone: +49 721 608 25737
Fax: +49 721 608 22602
Group website: https://www.iai.kit.edu/english/ESM.php
Personal website: https://nworbmot.org/