Towards a European data space for energy / online event / 21 October 2021

Robbie Morrison

Oct 8, 2021, 5:04:07 AM10/8/21
to openmod list

Hello all

The following online event may be of interest:

  • Towards a European data space for energy
  • Thursday 21 October 2021 from 10:30 to 12:00 CEST
  • part of European Union Sustainable Energy Week (EUSEW)
  • registration required
  • EUSEW Secretariat (1 September 2021). Towards a European data space for energy. EU Sustainable Energy Week. Single webpage. Reproduction is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged.

The outline looks quite general.  It also talks about personal information and the European GDPR in the context of energy data.

As a comment, I normally limit my own discussions to non‑personal data that has been or can be legitimately made public.

Well off‑topic but still on the question of personal information, I cannot help but quote this section from a recent AG opinion on GDPR practice:

Unofficial translation of paragraph 56:

If I go to a pub one evening, and I share with four of my friends around the table in a public place (thus unlikely to satisfy the private or household activity exception of Article 2(2)(c) of the GDPR (29)) a rather unflattering remark about my neighbour that contains his personal data, which I just received by email (thus by automated means and/or is part of my filing system), do I become the controller of those data, and do all the (rather heavy) obligations of the GDPR suddenly become applicable to me? Since my neighbour never provided consent to that processing (disclosure by transmission), and since gossip is unlikely ever to feature amongst the legitimate grounds listed in Article 6 of the GDPR, (30) I am bound to breach a number of provisions of the GDPR by that disclosure, including most rights of the data subject contained in Chapter III.

Just wonderful!

with best wishes, Robbie

--
Robbie Morrison
Address: Schillerstrasse 85, 10627 Berlin, Germany

Robbie Morrison

Oct 8, 2021, 5:08:58 AM10/8/21
to openmod-i...@googlegroups.com